Profile for Captain Nevica > Reviews

Content by Captain Nevica

Captain Nevica

3 X Electronic digital mains Timer Socket Plug-in with LCD Display 12/24 Hour 7 Days
Offered by ZONNIX UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars This device does exactly 'what it says on the tin' ..., 20 Aug. 2016
This device does exactly 'what it says on the tin'. I have written myself a script and saved it on my smartphone 'notes' in order to remember how to configure the device (without an instruction manual) - this helps when I need to set new times etc.

TP-Link 600 Mbps 2-Port Powerline Adapter, Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, Wi-Fi Clone, UK Plug (TL-WPA4220 V1.2) - Pack of 1

2.0 out of 5 stars I have to constantly turn these units on and off ..., 20 Aug. 2016
I have to constantly turn these units on and off in order to re-establish network connections. It's a real problem because I have a few of these devices scattered around the house and I don't really know which of them is the problem. All I know is that if I turn them all off and back on again my problems disappear (for a while).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2016 1:59 PM BST

MEI Mechanics 1 3rd Edition: Bk. 1 (MEI Structured Mathematics (A+AS Level))
MEI Mechanics 1 3rd Edition: Bk. 1 (MEI Structured Mathematics (A+AS Level))
by Pat Bryden

5.0 out of 5 stars I still haven't found a better text for A-Level than this book, 20 Aug. 2016
I am a qualified mechanical engineer with many years experience in the sector. I just wish this book had been around when I was doing my A-Levels. I can only imagine what I might have achieved if this book had been available when I was studying. I still haven't found a better text for A-Level than this book. It is truly brilliant. If you are studying A-Level maths or A-Level physics this book is a 'must have'.

Jumbl 22MP All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanner w/ Speed-Load Adapters for 35mm Negative & Slides, 110, 126, & Super 8 Films
Offered by SmartShop UK

1.0 out of 5 stars The Jumbl 22MP All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanned that I ..., 20 Aug. 2016
The Jumbl 22MP All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanned that I received was critically damaged. Every .jpg image I scanned / produced had multiple 'scratch' marks across the picture in exactly the same place. These scratches could even be seen on the 'home' screen of the device. I had hoped these 'home screen' defects would not affect the final .jpg creation but unfortunately this was not the case. I am returning the unit and have been informed that I will receive a refund in the form of an Amazon Gift Card which I plan to spend on a replacement unit (it's a shame I couldn't just have a replacement unit sent to me) because the results (ignoring the dreadful scratch marks) seemed quite encouraging. The pictures displayed on my PC looked acceptable (ignoring the scratch marks) and the scan time per 35mm negative frame was no more than a few seconds. For those of you who are interested, the maximum supported SD card memory size is 32GB (I could not find this information prior to reading the supplied manual). I will return to this review section and update it once I have a fully functional unit and have scanned a reasonable number of negatives and slides. I trust the next unit I buy will be manufactured properly. The picture that I have included shows the number of scratches present on each image.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Compro C200 Plus USB2 Capture Stick
Compro C200 Plus USB2 Capture Stick

4.0 out of 5 stars Salvaging my old 8mm camcorder tapes, 3 Sept. 2011
I am using this product to transfer many hours of 8mm camcorder tapes onto my computer for editing and storing on DVDs. My main priority is to salvage the footage before the tapes become unreliable as a permanent storage media... some tapes are over 15 years old.
The problem I needed to resolve (the reason I bought this product)... my 8mm camcorder only outputs analogue signals (there are 3 analogue connectors - these are the familiar red, white and yellow ones - and an S-Video connector). My computer has no support for analogue inputs so I needed something to bridge the gap (convert) between analogue and digital.
The VideoMate C200 Plus hardware takes my camcorder analogue outputs as its own inputs and converts them into a digit format suitable for storage on my computer. The hardware sends the digital data to my computer via a USB 2 connection.
The PowerDirector 7 DE software that is supplied with the hardware will collect the digit data and file it away. The software can be used to edit the digital footage.
So what's my opinion of this package? It's very good! Within a few hours I had converted footage from a very old 8mm tape into a DVD with selectable chapters playing on my standard Philips DVD player. The software installation went fairly well and the hardware hasn't missed a beat so far.
I had considered buying an internal PCI card based product for this job as some reviews that I read talked about speed issues and one in particular suggested the final image size was limited to 'YouTube' style boxes. I haven't found this to be the case - my digital footage played on TV exactly like my original 8mm tape footage. I am really pleased I went the C200 route as I don't like messing around with internal PCI cards. It's so easy to plug this hardware into a USB connector.
VERDICT: A VERY GOOD SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM 4/5 rating because there are a few quirky things (although not serious) with the software and I received "LWS.exe has stopped working" when I restarted my computer after installing the software (this problem disappeared though without me having to take the steps recommended on-line)
A few other things... I have Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 (I paid a lot of money for this!) and it has never worked properly. Every time I solve one problem a new one is waiting around the corner. I am totally fed up with it. PowerDirector 7 DE worked right out of the box, it seems to have all the features I am looking for when editing videos - I really like the additional on-line library of additional templates etc that can be downloaded.
Great value for money. I would recommend this to anyone needing to solve the same problem that I had.

Philips GoGear MP4 player SA2ARA04K/02 Ariaz 4GB - Dark Grey
Philips GoGear MP4 player SA2ARA04K/02 Ariaz 4GB - Dark Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased with this Product, 17 Aug. 2011
Simply couldn't afford the equivalent Apple product, besides which the equivalent Apple product doesn't get great reviews by its users! Very pleased with this MP3 player - it does everything I wanted. Songbird went a bit crazy for a while as I loaded music onto the player but in its defence the software seemed to sort itself out with a big "switch off and back on".