Profile for Zen is More > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Now & Then
Now & Then

5.0 out of 5 stars This Music Is Simply BEAUTIFUL !!!, 1 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Now & Then (MP3 Download)
From the opening Haunting notes of track one "Syammestain" - I was hooked, and have been since purchasing this CD some 18 months ago.

I don't write too many reviews on here - no time etc - Unless!, unless I feel it either to warn others to avoid something and save their hard earned money etc OR as in this case - Do whatever you must, but ensure you get your hands on a copy of this Beautiful (and I DO Mean BEAUTIFUL music).

I had heard one or two tracks of a Dylan Fowler album before - and though enjoyable - I have to say this is Something Else.
Taith are a group of 3 very talented musicians/composers who have created a 'masterpiece' in Now & Then - a collaboration between:Timo Vaananen (Finland?) on Kanteles & Jouhikko. Gillian Steves (Wales) on Treble and Bass Viols and Crwth ( a very ancient celtic stringed instrument - I think) and Dylan Fowler (Wales) on Acoustic Guitars,Oboe, Percussion and Voice (no words - just voice/sound)...

The melodies truly are haunting in the most positive sense, the whole Cd simply flows from track to track to track...sometimes caressing, sometimes lilting, sometimes gently driving, but always 'Present'. My immediate thoughts and feelings upon hearing 'Now & Then' was of Alan Stivell's "Renaissance Of The Celtic Harp" - which is in my Top Ten, and so such is the quality of the music, that I made sure I put a few words of recommendation on here.
Rather than go through the 10 tracks, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND just Buy it!..sounds daft maybe, as I have in the past purchased a CD or two on other's recommendations only to find myself disappointed....I don't think that will be the case here!

I hope you do treat yourself to this gorgeous and beautiful landscape of sound...in what so often is a wilderness of noise and unpleasantness.

Keep The Faith :O)

Covenant
Covenant

3.0 out of 5 stars "Giving Thanks", 1 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Covenant (Audio CD)
I so wanted to 'Love' this Cd, having heard the opening track 'Giving Thanks' - which IS Truly Magical, I have played the CD at different times etc, to give me and it a chance, but cannot help but find it 'lacking'.
It is as if some ambient loving dj has wandered into the studio and remixed the original instruments and songs.....Obviously that is NOT what happened, but that's how it seems.....I am familiar with other recordings of Joanne Shenandoah, which is why having heard the opening track - which sent (and still does) shivers up my spine and brought me close to tears (of wonderment) I had no doubts about buying this, sadly I feel it falls short of her usually very high and let's be honest Beautiful works...such as Matriarch.....it's not that I don't like Ambient music...but this Cd is a weird blend, that (other than the opening track) doesn't do either.

There again perhaps if you like Ambienbt(ish) Trancey type music with a Native American flavour in there...this might be for you...and even so I think the Awesomely Beautiful opening track may still blow you away....

In some ways the opening track IS worth the price of the Cd on it's own...so hey! You pays your money you takes your chance! ;O)

May You Walk In Beauty

Body and Soul - Calm
Body and Soul - Calm

1.0 out of 5 stars Relax Don't Do It!, 1 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Body and Soul - Calm (Audio CD)
I always try to be 'constructive' in any criticism that I may make about anyhting - be it a CD, a Play, Book etc.
But regretably I am unable to offer any 'positive or redeeming' comments about this particular CD, which is meant to contribute towards one's relaxation. This is 'Cheesey' at best....so much so that I don't wish to waste time - as I have money on this.

What I can recommend as far, far better alternatives, that should you want a CD of relaxation music, really do have some substance:

Buddhist Chants & Peace Music (Music for reflection and relaxation from the far east)
Howard Goodall's "Enchanted Voices"
Jonathan Goldman's "Ultimate Om"
Jon Anderson's "Angels's Embrace"
Coyote Oldman's "Landscape"
Coyote Oldman's "In Medicine River"
Nigel Shaw's "Dartmoor Journey"
Taith's "Now & Then"
Alan Stivell's "Renaissance Of The Celtic Harp"

With the exception of the first suggestion, none have been specifically for 'relaxation', but ALL do the job far bteer than this Cheesey offering.

Peace Out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 8:12 PM GMT

TY Tyranno the Dinosaur Beanie Baby
TY Tyranno the Dinosaur Beanie Baby
Offered by Blissing Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge Success !, 1 Jun. 2009
I bought this for my 3 yr old grandniece for her birthday - and she absolutley adores it. She takes it everywhere - and I mean everywhere - the bath, nursery, supermarket, the beach etc etc - Very durable and keeps its colours and shape etc...

Renaissance of the Celtic Harp
Renaissance of the Celtic Harp

5.0 out of 5 stars From Deep Within The Mists Of Avalon, 1 Jun. 2009
Every 5 - 10 years or so an album comes along that just blows you away - for instance Fleet Foxes album...I remember thinking and feeling WOW! and such was the first time I heard Alan Stivell's Renaissance of the Celtic Harp.

I first heard this album (vinyl) in 1972 whilst staying at a friends - His mother was a lecturer in Celtic Languages and Traditions - and I remember thinking and 'feeling' as the first 30 seconds of side one began as if I had wandered into an ancient/middle earth realm. At the time I was into Motown and Rock and so was hugely surprised to find myself getting shivvers up the spine and goosey bumps all over.....the next day I went out and bought the album and it has remianed in my (reasonably wide ranging) top 20 ever since along with the likes of Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell, Close To The Edge - YES, Exodus - Bob Marley & The Wailers, Motown Volume 3 (Silver Cover), Kinda Blue - Miles Davies and Solid Air - John Martyn, Now & Then - Taith etc etc......

The music is incredibly Haunting in the most 'Positive and Beautiful' of ways. Never failing to to inspire, to lift one's spirits, to relax and restore such is the "Beauty & Power" of the music.

Not only did it lead me onto listening to all manner of Folk and World music, but after a few weeks of continual listening I found myself borrowing copious volumes of books on Celtic Mythology and Traditions from said friends mother, a few years later I would take up the Celtic (lap) Harp.....such is the imagery and 'feel' of the music - it has a flavour of true 'mythology' within it - as if the music was written specifically with Merlin, and the Arthurain Legends in mind, each time I listen to Rennaisance I can almost see the Mists of Avalon and feel the caress of the Winds of Keltia.

I still have my original vinyl copy (with the original fold-out cover)- and though sadly no turntable - there is rarely a month goes by when I don't listen to its wonderous hauting melodies.

I recommend Rennaisance of the Celtic Harp without resevation.

6 Stars out of 5! :O)

Fever Pitch [DVD] (1997)
Fever Pitch [DVD] (1997)
Dvd ~ Colin Firth

5.0 out of 5 stars It Isn't Necessary To Be A Gooner To Enjoy This Film, 13 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Fever Pitch [DVD] (1997) (DVD)
It Really is NOT necessary to be an Arsenal Fan (A Gooner) to enjoy this film - as Nick Hornby manages to capture and portray what it is like to be 'A Football Fan' (The Heaven and Hell we all go through) - Regardless of who you might or might not support - As the film portrays the Highs, Lows, Agony and Ecstasy that most (true) Football fans go through each week, Month and Season.....whether your team be a Big Club or one of the Smaller Clubs - as it is all about the Passion and Love that one holds for ones own team - As Paul The main Character in the film observes how it's possible for your team/club to lift your spirits to the point of ecstasy and then bring you crashing back down to earth the next - which is what it is like being a Football fan.....and so if you are and regardless of whom you support, you will recognise yourself in this film - Providing you are a real football fan - and not an armchair - change your team from week - month type - who knows nothing of loyalty!..

This is a 6 Stars out of 5!

Beyond Boundaries
Beyond Boundaries
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Breed Of Guitarist(s) - A Whole New Sound, 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Beyond Boundaries (Audio CD)
I first came upon the wonderous music and string conjuring of Michael Hedges way, waaaay back when vinyl still out sold CD's, sadly many of my vinyl favourites are now in need of replacement by CD...but I digress.
If you have heard anything by Michael Hedges (even just a few bars)then you will have an inkling of what to expect - and yet there is so much more - if you haven't then let's say - You are one lucky person - Why? - Because there is a whole new wonderful world of incredible music and musicianship awaiting you.
Michael Hedges doesn't play guitar - he allows his dreams to come alive via strings beneath his fingers - like no one before has EVER done!
The Beauty of the compositions, the Dexterity and Artistry of the man as a Musician and the Utter, Utter Grace of how he combines them will Lift Your Spirits and make you want to Play! - Oh! Yes, it will ! - you'll find yourself asking - "How On Earth Is He Doing That!?"......
Treat your Spirits to A Beautiful Sound - the sound of Michael Hedges.
Oh! and by the way if you enjoy Michael Hedges music & playing, then I recommend you go to Candyrat.com - and have a listen to: Craig D'Andrea, Andy McKee and Don Ross - who are now the barers of this very special flame! - and all of whom have cited Michael Hedges as a huge influence upon their music and playing style/s - And so I whole heartedly recommend what for me is:

'A New Breed Of Guitarist/s and Music for Acoustic Guitar'.

Concierto
Concierto

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, 22 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
With the exception of very twee country music and gangster rap I consider myself as having a very wide musical palette (and album collection to match).
Jazz makes up a small % of that collection and though my taste in music is wide and varied, I'm not easily impressed when it comes to 'versions' of music, a track or song whose original is of the highest standard, Concierto De Aranjuez being a case in point.
But I have to say that when I heard the track Concierto de Aranjuez from Jim Hall's 'Concierto' album, (on Classic Jazz FM at two in the morning) not only did it wake me up (in the nicest of ways), but it totally blew me away, it truly is 'Beautiful'. The soloing by Chet Baker and Paul Desmond is of the highest calibre - with their placing an emphasis on less is more.

Also (like most people) I have to really like something these days before I part with my hard earned cash, but upon hearing that track alone - I knew I had to buy the CD.

Having done so, I can wholeheartedly recommend the whole CD to you.

This is the kind of album that can be played whilst enjoying a long luxurious bath, whilst chilling with friends, wine and good food, or in the wee small hours....etc etc Go On Treat Yourself!

The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters
by Simon Buxton

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Treasures Lie In Wait - 5 Stars And Nothing Less will Do!, 9 May 2008
It `s not often that I feel compelled to write a review of either a book or a CD, unless I find them truly worthy of praise - but such was my enjoyment when reading this book, and the obvious validity of this man's story concerning his apprenticeship within a shamanic tradition that is actually still practised within Britain today, and so I felt compelled to share my thoughts, on what is a something of a 'Treasure'. Especially as it is so unusual to discover a book that is not only a very worthy read, whilst proving enlightening, but has the subject matter and writing style to inform, inspire and move the reader.
For those familiar with other books detailing apprenticeships within a shamanic tradition - such as Castenada, it is all too easy to either see them as having little to do with real life, or as something we could never have access to. Which is why I was surprised and inspired by Simon Buxton's The Shamanic Way of the Bee - because of the way he relates his story not only is it totally believable, but is written with a real sense of the beauty, poetry and a passion that I'm sure most of us aspire to have in our lives.

The author not only skillfully and gradually leads us into the hidden world and depths of what on the surface is referred to as bee keeping, but he does so in such a way, that one moment he is describing the colours and fragrances of his teachers garden, the next he is relating the means by which it is possible to stop time. And he manages to do so without being overly wordy or academic, but having a real sense of the beauty and simplicity that he discovers within this shamanic tradition.

The key events are described with great lucidity, and it is very easy to find oneself almost being present. But what is also remarkable is that all this takes place under our very noses in Britain.
Most of the books I have previously come across, regarding shamanism or spiritually based stories tend to be by people from far flung places, that make them feel removed from the everyday, whether it is the America's or Siberia, - whilst this positively rings with an authenticity and genuineness, not simply because it is an existing, thriving, shamanic tradition that has it's roots in Britain and Europe, but is told in such a way as to be nothing less than believable.
I for one would never have considered the art of bee keeping as being a means by which one could train in an ancient (and thriving) form of Shamanism - But this book is such an example, not only is it a wholly engrossing and enjoyable read because of it's lyricism and poetic richness; the language perfectly fitting the what is both a challenging, yet exciting world view - that thanks to the author, has been made available to us.

I can without reservation whole heartedly recommend this book to the converted, the mildly interested AND the sceptics!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 9:55 AM BST

Sleeper Cell
Sleeper Cell
Offered by EliteDigital UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Why? Oh! Why? Oh! Why??, 27 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Sleeper Cell (Audio CD)
Like many peeps out there in TV land - I thought (and still think) Sleeper Cell (The Enemy Is Here) - Series One, was "The Best" TV - I have seen in ages.

The absolute and stark honesty and uncompromising dialogue, theme(s), the believability of the characters the editing, use of colouring, use of music etc - the whole thing put it not only head and shoulders above an overlong, gizmo/technology infested - characterless 24 - only adds to the frustration that I felt when purchasing this SoundTrack CD. For some reason Ethan Reiff & Cyrus Voris have 'failed' to include the opening theme to the series - (composed by Nick Green) - It is without doubt; when compared to the tracks on this CD 'The Best' piece of music connected with the series, and yet they have seen fit to not nclude it.

It is the opening theme that 'sets the mood' of this wonderful and hugely entertaining show.

I bought the CD because I wanted that track - and was quite happy to pay the price of a full CD just for that one track, thinking well there's bound to be a few others in there that are worth a listen also, which there are - about 6 of the 12 tracks in all: Higher Purpose, Ayn al Aquin,Momento Mori, Face the Music, A Life of Struggle and Tic Toc.

But as I say tehy have omitted the best of the music used in the series, which is a shame (a) Because I wouldn't have bought the CD had I known and (b) Because just as Sleeper Cell makes 24 redundant, so the 'Opening Theme' is way, way better than all the other music on the CD. Sorry I wish I could report differently, but that's how I hear it!.

Page: 1 | 2