Profile for Duncan from London > Reviews

Content by Duncan from London

Duncan from London

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Unlearning God: How a preacher boy questioned the Bible, failed the code of conduct, wagered with God, and found healing from spiritual head injuries

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 11 Jun. 2017
This book is well worth a read, both to understand the Orthodox a bit better (which is why one recommended it to me); and to hear Leo tell us about his journey from a Protestant ‘preacher’ boy into the Orthodox church, that he clearly loves.

This might be a better review if I stopped there, but I will also offer my partisan Protestant perspective for anyone who cares. This book is not even handed. For example, Leo uses the term ‘biblical assassin’ to explain how we Protestants use our bible & doctrines as a weapon; but in contrast sees Orthodox expectations as ‘authentically, mystically, confusingly, but unmistakably’ God’s works. It’s not that he hides Orthodoxy’s challenges, but he’s accepted he belongs there and so he’s willing to work through them with his community in love. It’s all somewhat galling – I recognise his Protestant church down to knowing the same Sunday school songs; and I’m mystified as to why he didn’t find this community of love where he started. It’s difficult to escape the conclusion that (ironically) Leo felt obligated to match up to expectations as a Protestant, but accepted Orthodoxy by God’s grace through faith without needing anything else.

If so, he made a good move, didn’t he?

Inov-8 Race Ultra 290 Trail Running Shoes - 11
Inov-8 Race Ultra 290 Trail Running Shoes - 11

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all-rounder, if only you could get shoes with cushioning but no arches, 4 Mar. 2016
It's a good all rounder.

- Grip. Grip seems good if you're running normally, but sideways grip seems poor. This does make the shoes easy to clean.
- Cushioning vs. Feel of ground. 1/4 way from a normal shoe to a minimalist shoe, with a good overall trade-off
- Width. I have EE feet last I checked. The width feels only slightly tight, so it might be too wide for you.
- Size. When we first started getting European sizes 11 meant 46. In recent years shoes have gradually been drifting smaller, perhaps to bring them closer to the US. These are 11/45.5. They're about the right size. For me the left shoe sometimes slips at the back but this is resolved by tightening the laces.
- Arches. Welcome to my rant. I HATE arches. The arches on these shoes are annoying but ok - i.e. they have small arches compared to other shoes. One of the main reasons I bought these shoes is to try and compromise between minimalist = no arches (hooray) but no cushioning (a bit much). Hello shoe people the world is not divided into people with high arches that don't mind arches and people who need arches to keep them stable. There are also people like me who roll out - arches are painful and make things worse. When I was a child the old shoe shop man was a genius who used to shave off the inside of my shoes - the very opposite of arches is what we need in a shoe. Well, what I need. So these shoes score on having low arches but really be better if they had none.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept; good book; but not as well-written or likeable as the original., 4 Mar. 2016
It's a great concept. I love Jane Austen and I love the idea of Edwardian ladies trained as Shaolin warriors. The zombie plot uses Jane Austen's turn of phrase where possible; and the juxtaposition of Austen's world and the martial arts training makes for some great humour. The problem is that you can't help comparing it with the original and it doesn't match up. You're reading Austen's writing and the bits the authors have converted effectively (which to be fair is most of it); and then suddenly you're reading a crude joke about balls and the immersion that's been working surprisingly well is broken. Worst of all I don't like Lizzie - I admire Jane Austen's Lizzie and come to appreciate Darcy. But this Lizzie Jeckyll and Hyde - often cruel and out of control. Does she really have to have a warrior code that expects her to execute a man who snubs her when she dances? It's great to break women out of old fashioned stereotypes, but that's old hat, why not think a bit harder about how Lizzie might actually integrate a warrior code into Edwardian society?

Anyway I realise I've written mostly negatives, but actually this is a good book and I enjoyed reading it. If you like Austen and Zombies (or at least Austen and fantasy, as I do) then you're you'll have a good ride ... with the odd bump. So four stars.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions good - multiple bells., 25 Feb. 2016
First impressions good.

My cheaper wireless doorbell from 1by one was ok, but then it broke and you can't replace the components. But this system is better because you can have multiple buttons and receivers - so if it breaks I guess we can add another one (as long as they're still selling it ...). We already have a separate dinner bell for people who are too far away to hear the gong.

Unusually for Amazon which generally has excellent delivery, this failed the first time around and I had to re-order.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It works., 24 Nov. 2015
I used this to re-attache the springs to the Parker Knoll chair I inherited from granny (fabric to wood). It works well - sometimes the staple doesn't go in but it does if you take care. For a product at this price point, that's four stars.

Relaxwell by Dreamland 16082 Luxury Heated Throw with Intelliheat - Chocolate
Relaxwell by Dreamland 16082 Luxury Heated Throw with Intelliheat - Chocolate
Offered by Great Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a chair, wound't use, 22 Nov. 2015
Usual story - my wife likes the house cold and I like it warm, so I got this as an alternative to switching my radiator on. First properly cold weekend and impressions are good so far.

I have my grandma's parker knoll wingback chair set up in front of my monitor for really comfy computing when I am working from home. It's big enough to just about cover me and a bigger one would get in the way. So for this job it is great. But I wouldn't recommend it if you want a blanket to snuggle up to when you are on the sofa or bed, it would be too small.

People are right that you can feel the wires and that the heat is somewhat localised, but overall it feels toasty, heats up pretty quickly and it's nice and warm. The controls are really nice and easy to use. So overall I think it is a good buy so far.

Now if someone could invent a wireless version ...

Canon CLI8 / PGI5 WITH CHIP - Multipack Set of 5 Canon Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges for Canon Pixma MP500 MP530 MP600 MP600R MP610 MP800 MP800R MP810 MP830 iP4200 iP4300 iP4500 iP5200 iP5200R iP5300 Printer Inks - CLI-8 / PGI-5 (Contains: CLI-8C, CLI-8Y, CLI-8M,CLI-8B, PGI-5BK) MP 500 MP 530 MP 600 MP 600R MP 610 MP 800 MP 800R MP 810 MP 830 iP 4200 iP 4300 iP 4500 iP 5200 iP 5200R iP 5300 - Latest Chip Installed, Ready For Use, No Fuss!
Offered by First Call Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Much cheaper than canon and basically works., 18 July 2015
First I bought cheap ink that was sooo much hassle.

Then I bought canon ink that cost a fortune.

Now I buy this. I don't think it's quite as good as proper Canon ink; and I think I had one 'bad' cartridge (out of about ten), but it's sooo much cheaper and it's basically fine. I can afford a stack of the stuff now so I don't run out. I wish they'd show the true price instead of sticking a high P&P on it, though.

Overall: five stars.

Redragon® Lavawolf 3500 DPI Gaming Mouse, 7 Programmable Buttons, 6600 FPS, 5 memory modes, 4 Speed Gear, OMRON Switch for game
Offered by Innovation Goal UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic mouse with extra features, scroll wheel not 100% any more., 18 July 2015
I really like this mouse.

I was going to buy a basic mouse, but for an extra fiver I thought I might as well try out this gaming one. Admittedly I don't use the extra features much - but they're really useful occasionally - that DPI switch even comes in handy you're trying to line up pictures in PowerPoint. And it just works really nicely without ever jamming up or anything. The cable is really nice and long and seems tangle-resistant, so I don't miss it not being cordless. Mind you it's a bit embarrassing when I bring it into the office.

Update: The scroll wheel has become a bit unreliable. It usually works, but sometimes doesn't quite pick up.

Five star initial impressions, now adjusted to four stars.

Minky 3 Tier Indoor Airer, 15m drying space, Silver
Minky 3 Tier Indoor Airer, 15m drying space, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife liked it so much I had to order another one., 2 April 2015
This seems to be a really good product. It fits more drying in a smaller space. It clips together nicely and feels a bit more sturdy than normal - though I think it would still break easily enough if abused. Only problem was my wife liked it so much she snatched it and I had to order another one.

Finally broken my tumble dryer addiction and only used it maybe five times the whole winter.

GadgetBoy USB 1A Fast Universal USB Mains Charger Wall Plug for iPhone X 8 7 7 Plus 6 6S SE 5S 4S 5 iPod Samsung Galaxy S8 S7 S6 S5 S4 S3 Note 8 5 4 HTC One LG G6 G5 G4 Nokia Motorola [CE] Black
Offered by GadgetCable