Profile for K. Chahal > Reviews

K. Chahal (London, UK)

Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Offered by Jasmine Silk

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product! if you are a light sleeper like ..., 7 Jun. 2016
Fantastic product! if you are a light sleeper like me these are a life saver. Just don't put them in the washing machine or they'll lose shape!

Marriage Material
Marriage Material

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely riveting read! Amazingly well researched and with a shocking surprise twist at the end!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Marriage Material (Kindle Edition)
Having grown up in a Newsagent's store and also in Sikh family it was inevitable I would relate to this book. Sanghera didn't disappoint in this perfect portrayal of a family owned 70s corner shop. It seems to have been so well researched you almost believe this must be another autobiography like his previous and also excellent read 'Boy with a Topknot'. Clearly the author has collected aspects of his own life and experiences as well of the fascinating fictional characters he explores.

'Marriage Material' is simply the most gripping, addictive, inspiring and in many ways relatable read for the 2nd and 3rd generation British Asian way of life. Possibly this is one of the best ever novels to explore immigration, integration, racism, the (ridiculous) caste-system as well as inter-racial relationships. Sanghera has you engrossed from the start to the end and equally entertained with his trademark dry wit and sarcasm that he has developed from his blunt and brutally honest articles and interviews in The Times.

Many of us Asian kids that grew up in corner shops and put up with racial abuse, poverty and struggles integrating into British life have also now moved on to become Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Bankers and in Sathnam's case, world-class journalists and writers. This is a testament to our parents and the unbelievable amount they sacrificed for our lives. This book explores and perhaps pays credit to these sacrifices and the mind boggling lives that they lived in order for us to enjoy a better life. The author deserves huge credit for that.

Finally, the twist at the end of the book is a complete shock to the system and like nothing you can imagine! It will have you on the edge of your seat. I found it hard to put the book down having finished it in a weekend. It was perfect escapism and the plot had me thinking for many weeks later about my own family, career and future. A highly recommend thought provoking read. I really hope they make a movie out of this!

Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano

3.0 out of 5 stars Only works well near the router, 14 July 2013
Unless you are within a couple of meters of the router or a repeater this doesn't pickup signals so well.

Made in Britain: Inspirational Role Models from British Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
by Steven D'Souza

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure inspiration, essential reading, 6 Nov. 2011
I bought this book after booking Steven D'Souza for an event for my company where he was booked to speak on topics about networking and diversity. Both the book and Steven did not fail to disappoint.

The book provides an amazing insight into the thoughts and values of some of the most successful and respected individuals in our country. The inspiration you will attain from the book comes from knowing that many immigrants have succeeded, having come in many cases from nothing and despite all odds, have risen to the challenge, ignored that they are different or the fact that discrimination occasionally exists, but have gone on to accomplish amazing achievements.

These types of role models and their stories are needed to inspire future generations and the final chapter summarises perfectly the need to become a role model yourself and consolidates some of the key themes and characteristics that the interviewees display. In tough economic times like these this book is the perfect antidote to all the doom and gloom in the news. I believe 'Made in Britain' should be compulsory reading for all, whether you are from a Black or minority group or not, the insights obtained from this book will widen your horizons and stimulate your mind.

Brilliant Networking: What the Best Networkers Know, Say and Do (Brilliant Business)
by Steven D'Souza

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, usable and hugely beneficial for business and life, 18 Oct. 2011
I found Brilliant networking after having Steven D'Souza recommended as a speaker at a networking event I was hosting for my business. I felt compelled to read his book prior to meeting Steven and I was glad I did. The book was insightful from the first chapter and really grabs attention by outlining in a comical style some of the typical characters you meet at networking events. The book ignores the typical 'self help' genre of books by questioning the reader's intention with deeper analysis of networking goals in an interactive and realistic manner that is both easy to read but also thought provoking from many angles.

Steven spoke at my event on networking in business and his speech was flawless, grabbing the attention of a very tough crowd while providing thought provoking material in a highly interactive manner. I highly recommend this book and Steven as a public speaker. More importantly the advice I have taken from this book and from listening to Steven has been absolutely invaluable.

Entourage Complete HBO Season 6 [DVD] [2010]
Entourage Complete HBO Season 6 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Adrian Grenier

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite series so far!, 16 Nov. 2010
Couldn't wait for British ITV to catchup with series 6 and didn't want to watch any dodgy streaming sites so pre-ordered this and was thoroughly impressed with the delivery time on release date and the quality of this series.

Each episode kept me laughing until the end the guys really pull it together and there are some amazing twists and turns in the plot. The last episode is the best one i've seen yet, Ari continues to rule the show and dominate over the other characters, his awards for this series are well deserved.

Can't wait for Season 7 although I hear from US reviews it's quite 'dark'! British ITV needs to really catchup with the US HBO dates, why is there such a lag!?

The Boy with the Topknot: A Memoir of Love, Secrets and Lies in Wolverhampton
The Boy with the Topknot: A Memoir of Love, Secrets and Lies in Wolverhampton
by Sathnam Sanghera

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely unputadownable! A witty and courageous story of a fascinating life..., 5 Sept. 2009
Having grown up a Jat Sikh boy in a working class British family I found I could relate to so much of this book, it's probably the first ever written by someone of our demographic that has received so much praise and I understand been nominated for several prizes. Sathnam's story is as well written as his articles in the Times and Financial Times. His words seem to have the power to capture your imagination while occasionally making you laugh out loud. During several chapters I actually found myself laughing out loud uncontrollably on the tube much to my fellow passengers' amusement. The book also delves into more serious issues around his family's struggles with mental health that left me gasping for air and feeling grateful for the life I had... If you think you're family had issues growing up then reading this will definitely bring you back down to earth! My favourite chapter was the excellent description of the arranged marriage dating process which I can only say is one of the most accurate descriptions of modern day second generation Asian life in Britain and Sathnam continues to add his intellectual dry wit at every occasion. I also respect that he has bought out in the open a number of controversial issues with our community from superstitions to the caste system and social integration problems that apply to not just the Sikh community but many other Asian immigrants in the Western world. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to read something original, thought provoking and horizon widening.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 5:46 PM GMT