Profile for Mr. R. M. Lathwell > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. M. Lathwell

Mr. R. M. Lathwell "holden-c" (Hemel Hempstead, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vax VZL-7071 Mach 1 Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Vax VZL-7071 Mach 1 Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 16 Jan. 2009
After my bagged Morphy Richards vacuum cleaner started to disintegrate I decided to move into the realm of bagless cleaners. Having decided against the uberexpensive Dysons we settled on a Vax having read generally good reviews of them. Admittedly we were going to go for the Pet version of this cleaner but Vax offered us a decent discount on the regular version. Given that there's little obvious difference between them we agreed. Mistake.

While the suction may not descrease as the cleaner fills it has nothing like as much suction as our old cleaner to begin with, not even close. The head it comes with is so tight to the carpet that rather than suck up any surfact dirt it simply pushes it around and you regularly have to lift the head to suck up the collection of debris. The tube doesn't click into the handle, you just push it in and hope it stays put, but it's not overly keen on remaining there and rotates or falls out completely on a regular basis.

Having completed a frustrating circuit of our less than vast house there was nothing to suggest the Vax had lifted an increased amount of dirt and I was left wishing I'd spent the money replacing the damaged parts on our exisiting cleaner.

Not awful but nothing to shout about either and there must be better cleaners on the market than this which didn't live up to expectations.

UPDATE

The friendly people at Vax agreed to take the cleaner back and give us a full refund. That was getting on for three months ago and we've yet to get so much as a penny out of them despite assurances that the refund was being processed.

Kitchen Craft Imperia 36-Hole Ravioli Tray and Rolling Pin
Kitchen Craft Imperia 36-Hole Ravioli Tray and Rolling Pin
Offered by BuySend

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time and money, 16 Jan. 2009
What a massive disappointment. The holes for the individual ravioli are tiny so you can barely get any filling in, certainly nothing like the teaspoon suggested in the instructions. You'll be there forever rolling the pin in all directions trying to get the edges of the ravioli to cut as it's minute and has no weight to it and any weight exerted on the tray sent it skidding across the kitchen work surface regardless of the rubber feet. In the end I gave up, chucked the whole lot in the bin and sent the wife to the chippy instead.

Avoid!

Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Evans
Offered by wantitcheaper

3.0 out of 5 stars Less may be more, 22 Oct. 2008
I was among the many thousands who saw Lee Evans at the O2 and am surprised at the strength of the reviews thus far.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Lee Evans fan. I last saw him live over a decade ago and have seen recordings of many of his subsequent tours, all of which I enjoyed. Why else would I have stumped up the cash to see him again? Having done so I have to say I found the show disappointing. You can't fault the man for the effort and energy used in his performance but the material was patchy, some of it slightly recycled and there were periods were the laughs were anything but thick and fast.

My hope for the DVD release is that some of the flatter material will be edited out and you'll instead be presented with the best of the best from his run at the O2. Brevity may well be a saving grace in this instance. Personally I don't feel the O2 Arena lends itself well to comedy gigs - it's just too BIG and even while someone of the calibre of Lee is performing there's the constant murmer of a thousand quiet conversations in the background. Perhaps a shorter version viewed in the comfort of your own home may make for more entertaining evening than having been there.

Far from his best work and perhaps one more for the established fan than the newcomer who may find his earlier work a better introduction to an undoubtedly funny and talented man.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2009 1:02 PM GMT

Jamie's Italy
Jamie's Italy
by Jamie Oliver

2.0 out of 5 stars Give Jamie's Italian the boot, 6 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Jamie's Italy (Paperback)
Loved the accompanying TV series but very disappointed with this book.

I'm not anti-Jamie by any stretch and still regularly borrow from earlier volumes but having had this book since it came out a couple of years ago I've not used a single recipe. If you live somewhere with a decent deli and can obtain the necessary ingredients then maybe this is for you but for someone like me, living in a chav town with nothing but large supermarkets, there's little on offer which could easily be replicated.

Yes, it's pleasant visually, but I buy recipe books in order to cook from them and in that respect this book was money wasted. At he's produced better since with the excellent Jamie At Home.

Open Water [DVD]
Open Water [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Travis
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars A damp squib, 22 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Open Water [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this movie being out in the cinemas and having great reviews so having recently watched it at home I was sorely disappointed. The thing that really killed the movie for me was the appalling acting. Okay, they are unknowns but couldn't the producers find anyone more talented to bob up and down in the water for a few weeks? It's a pity as it detracted from what was otherwise a decent movie. Okay, it's not a glossy, CGI strewn, Hollywood blockbuster but a decent film doesn't have to rely on those gimmicks and but for the acting this movie could have pulled it off. There's a decent degree of tension and the night scenes were particularly good for this (no coincidence that there was no dialogue for those) but by the end I was willing the sharks to just get on with it and put me out of my misery. I dread to think what Open Water 2 is like.

Transcendental Highway
Transcendental Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!, 21 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Transcendental Highway (Audio CD)
For me this is Colin's finest album. Full of great songs that have been sadly overlooked by the majority of the record buying public. The title track is wonderfully chilled, Freedom Calling is a stirring anthem and there are the tender songs such as Goodbye My Red Rose and I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You.

It's a real pity that so many people will not even know that this great music exists. Though old enough to remember Men At Work I have Zach Braff and Scrubs to thank for reminding me of what a great singer-songwriter Colin Hay is. Having since been lucky enough to meet the man as well I can say that he's a top bloke as well. This particular album has been one of the more difficult to track down so grab it while it's still around, you won't be disappointed.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
Offered by Bonisell

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype. I did, more fool me., 16 Nov. 2007
Having been away from games consoles for years and then recently invested in the PS3 I thought I should look around for a football game. At the time it was a toss up between Fifa '08 and PES '08.

I'd known the Fifa games from back in the day but after having read up about the PES series I decided to hang on for that in order to experience the supposedly superior gameplay. Well, was I ever disappointed!

Having spent a few hours caning the opposition 15-0 in cup games as a top team I opted to have a bash as the Master League as a beginner. Yes, it's a challenge, but you can only play so many games where it's nigh on impossible to score and instead you spend your time hanging on for a 0-0 draw only to have the opposition bang one in the onion bag in the last five minutes. Making any meaningful progress up the pitch is painfully slow, you're continually knocked off the ball and no one has the pace to break through the opposition ranks. Add to that Lawro's stilted commentary and the random drops in frame rate and you've got yourself a turkey. I'm bored of it already, can't be bothered to play dozens of games just to get to the transfer window in the hope of finding a half-decent player to bolster the ranks and the disc has barely seen the light of day.

I'll be putting Fifa '08 on my Wish List for Christmas, it's got to be better than this. Avoid!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4