Profile for Jimifan1970 > Reviews

Content by Jimifan1970

Jimifan1970 "Foxy" (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE Hard Drive
Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to recycle old hard drives, 1 Aug. 2012
(Same review as for otherwise identical SATA/IDE enclosure)
Bought one of these and another SATA/IDE so that I could re-use a couple of hard drives salvaged from an old and very dead desktop PC. Fitting the drive into the enclosure is straightforward enough, as long as you remember that the fit is snug and don't try to force anything on re-assembly. Also worth remembering that the Molex mains connector is very tight and difficult to pull off once connected so you can't easily call this 'hot-swappable'. Up and running in minutes, and all works fine. One of my enclosures is serving as a network storage drive (connected to USB socket on BT Home Hub 3) so that I can store stuff there as well. Like other reviewers, I don't like the five star-shaped blue activity lights but I just don't look at them, and that's the simplest solution there is!
All in all, well pleased with the purchase. Quick delivery too. Can't beat Amazon!

Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive
Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to recycle old hard drives, 1 Aug. 2012
Bought one of these and another IDE only so that I could re-use a couple of hard drives salvaged from an old and very dead desktop PC. Fitting the drive into the enclosure is straightforward enough, as long as you remember that the fit is snug and don't try to force anything on re-assembly. Also worth remembering that the Molex mains connector is very tight and difficult to pull off once connected so you can't easily call this 'hot-swappable'. Up and running in minutes, and all works fine. One of my enclosures is serving as a network storage drive (connected to USB socket on BT Home Hub 3) so that I can store stuff there as well. Like other reviewers, I don't like the five star-shaped blue activity lights but I just don't look at them, and that's the simplest solution there is!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous value, 1 Aug. 2012
Bought these to mark my golf balls after a previous chisel-tip decided to leak all over my nice clean trousers and they're perfect. Two permanent ink pens for less than a quid and delivered for free the next day? What more can you want. Amazon unbeatable.

Foldable USB Twin Cooling Cooler Fan Stand Pad
Foldable USB Twin Cooling Cooler Fan Stand Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 1 Aug. 2012
I don't actually use this as a laptop cooler but for standing a couple of external hard drives on to keep cool, and it seems fine. Don't expect gale force winds though. More of a gentle zephyr.

Digital Video For Dummies
Digital Video For Dummies
by Keith Underdahl

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general guide, 28 April 2012
This is a good general guide to creating your own digital video masterpieces without being specific to any one software package. 'For Dummies' is always a complete misnomer, as the books are anything but dumbed down, in some cases being complex and demanding a fair level of competence. This, however, is a fairly easy read.

Belkin PRO Gold - USB extender - 4 PIN USB Type A (M) - 4 PIN USB Type A (F) - 4.9m - molded

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 28 April 2012
Cannot fault a cable at this price. I had to move my printer across the room to accommodate new equipment and this cable does the new connection job perfectly.

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 3, 7-inch Android Tablet with 3G Connectivity + Wi-Fi, Quad Core 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, and 8GB Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 28 Sept. 2011
I've had this for a few days now and, I must say, I like it very much. It feels like a quality piece of gear in the hands.

The glass touch screen works perfectly, and I got up and running with connection to my home network completed in a few minutes.

I decided to go Android rather than in the other direction because I don't want to be tied in to i-Tunes (or i-anything, for that matter) and one of my downloads has been the free app. from Logitech to control my Squeezebox Touch from the sofa. It works a treat, and I love being able to see all the music info. on the Cambridge screen rather than squinting at the Squeezebox across the room.

Don't use Skype so can't comment but everything else pre-loaded works fine.

Battery appears to last for four to five hours under the use I put it to, which isn't at all bad. I just treat it like a mobile phone really, and plug in to the charger to top up overnight when the gauge drops. Simple. I did read a review which suggested letting the battery run flat for the first few uses, but I don't think that's necessary with this sort of battery.

Only slight downside is instruction documentation. This is on a pre-loaded app. along with a book on Android and a copy of Jack London's White Fang. I'd have preferred a paper instruction leaflet to refer to without having to work out how to get the machine working properly first, but I guess if it's saving a tree in a rain forest somewhere I can go with that. Certainly no reason to knock off a star.

Happy with the purchase.

Valentyne Suite
Valentyne Suite

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding prog. rock suite, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Valentyne Suite (Audio CD)
I first heard The Valentyne Suite when it came out on vinyl back in '69, and I remember the tremendous reception it received amongst my rock fan buddies. We all loved it. Listening now, after the passage of more than 40 years, it still sounds as passionate and exciting as ever.

The suite showcases each musician throughout, but the stand-out players for me are Dave Greenslade, Jon Hiseman and Dick Heckstall-Smith.

Dave Greenslade's Hammond sounds about as wonderful as a Hammond should, and there are a number of notable passages of play where he wrings the most amazing sounds out of the organ, something like Keith Emerson did when with The Nice, but never losing sight of the theme. A highlight comes at around five minutes in where he makes the thing whine like a tortured tom cat, possibly using the fantastically complicated technique of switching it on and off.

Jon Hiseman's drumming is magnificent throughout: tight, accurate, hard as nails and underpinning the suite with a rock solid foundation. There is again a brief but special treat for fans when Jon's drums are phased, just like Mitch Mitchell's on Jimi's superlative Bold as Love album track from '67.

Dick Heckstall-Smith's sax adds that intangible jazzy mood something to what would otherwise be a flat-out rock romp, and it's a very enjoyable addition too, full of raw energy and commitment.

The other two players aren't half bad either, but maybe not much above average for what was an extraordinary time in the history of rock music. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jack Bruce ... It would be a struggle for any guitarist to stand out in that company, but James Litherland and Tony Reeves make a worthy contribution to the suite.

I once saw the band perform the suite on TV in '71 ... and they were awful. The tight coherence of the original album had been lost, and been replaced by extended, loose, 'freak-outs' in which all musical discipline was ignored. Shame.

But no worries really. Just get this original studio recording, crank up the stereo and enjoy what was one of the best concept rock suites ever.

Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Offered by Digital Value

1.0 out of 5 stars Great start but now hopeless, 21 Sept. 2011
I'll admit to a slight trepidation before ordering this little gem. I have a fairly high end, though now quite ancient, hi-fi, and I wondered if this very small device would produce the sort of sound quality I want to listen to. I had looked long and hard at some (expensive) alternatives costing way more than the very modest[] quid that the Touch sets you back before giving this baby the nod, and I'm so glad I did.

When it arrived the morning after ordering, thanks to Amazon's reliable Express Delivery option, I was instantly impressed by the careful packaging - there's even a cute little cloth with which to wipe fingerprints off the screen. I like attention to detail.

But I was even more impressed once it was up and running. I had ordered an Ethernet cable to connect to my BT Home Hub 2 just in case, but I needn't have worried. The Touch searched for and found my wireless router very quickly, and once the wireless key was typed in I was good to go. My laptop and desktop were both picked up instantly, and soon the music was pouring out of my Linn speakers. All the tunes stored in My Music on both computers were instantly available (don't want to be tied in to i-Tunes), complete with album art from Gracenote, and the sound was all I'd hoped for. I decided to pump the digital output through my Beresford Caiman DAC (another wonderful piece of kit, though the Touch's onboard DAC is perfectly OK) and thence on to my Rotel pre-amp, and I can honestly say the music rivals CD quality. And there's also a bundle of free Internet radio stations to listen to. Wonderful! How cool to listen to classical music being broadcast in Melbourne, and then with a few touches listen to some classic rock from The States. My next move will be to subscribe to Spotify (unfortunately, you have to sign up to their Premium option but hey-ho) and then I truly believe that I'll be spoilt for musical choice.

The only slight criticism that I would level - and I'm definitely not going to knock off a star for this - is the basic remote. The Touch really deserves to have all that lovely ease of touch in the hand, but I guess that base is being covered by the Duet Controller, at extra cost. I don't have a smartphone or tablet, but I see there's a Logitech app. which you can download so you can control the Touch from android phone or tablet. That's probably the route I'll go when I can afford to buy a tablet, though the app. has had mixed reviews. Anybody got any opinions on this?

All in all, I'm delighted that I chose the Touch. It's just so easy and fun to use and the sound quality is superb.

I recommend it without hesitation.

IMPORTANT UPDATE AS OF NOVEMBER 3RD 2012:

What a shame.

After the early positive review I submitted above, I think it is only fair to warn potential buyers that when there are problems Logitech's customer support is non-existent, and the server mysqueezebox.com has become completely unreliable. Unfortunately, this is the only server you can use with the Touch.

I first became concerned several months ago when Spotify music would suddenly stop streaming, for no apparent reason. Sometimes the Touch would re-start and, after a laborious wait, return to the track. Sometimes there was just silence. Re-starting the whole system might, or might not, get you back to Spotify. Re-buffering became a frequent nightmare. Spotify replied to my query that it was probably a Logitech problem, and Logitech didn't reply at all.

And now, November 3rd 2012, the server has been down for two days over the whole of Europe, and Logitech are not replying to any queries. There is a rumour that Superstorm Sandy is being blamed. Yeah, right. Next week Logitech will be blaming Jimmy Savile, no doubt.

I wish I didn't have to say this but I now regret buying the Squeezebox Touch and will never again buy anything with the Logitech logo. How I wish I'd gone with Sonos instead, but who was to know?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 7:17 PM GMT

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by Electro World

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 27 Aug. 2011
Bought this to connect the little Duronic HDMI splitter (reviewed elsewhere) to my Sony Bravia, and, I must say, it works with absolutely no problem. A quality HDMI cable for a little over a quid? This has to one of the best value cables available anywhere. Very pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6