Profile for S. Taylor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Lifesystems MicroNet Mosquito Net
Lifesystems MicroNet Mosquito Net
Price: £18.01 - £34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent functionality and quality, highly recommended., 1 April 2013
The key to the performance for this net, or any net in my opinion, is the support bar (collapsible in this instance) that combines with the design to maintain shape and allows for a decent internal space when properly tucked in at the 4 corners. Having lived previously in the tropics with a very basic net, I can certainly vouch for the huge advantages of this more advanced design.

The hanging system itself is reasonably flexible, allowing you to mount the net from a point of various heights. This means you could mount it to a ceiling or a point hanging just above the net itself. Personally I wouldn't bother with separate 'hanging kits' - I usually carry some string and a couple of nails and then create my own solution - as this provides enough flexibility to make do in a variety of situations.

When mounted at an appropriate height, you really only need to adequately tuck in the corners properly to get a good taught canopy. "Taught" really is important here, for two reasons. Firstly it means more space underneath to move around and prevent bites through the net from loose parts that might rest on your person. Secondly, it means that a breeze can pass through much more effectively, likely to be quite important in many of the environments that you'll use this in.

The material itself seems great quality, and can take a fair amount of abuse before it'll tear. I've been using this one in my flat for 5 months now, and it's still in perfect condition. I'm not entirely convinced on the necessity of impregnation with chemicals though. I seem to remember recent research indicating that this only puts off most mosquitoes in the first instance, after which their sensitivity to chemicals such as DEET is numbed for a period and they can happily return to the same source. Fine if you're out and about, fairly pointless if they're buzzing around the same room all night. Perhaps the idea is more to keep mosquitoes from cosying up inside it when not in use.

I'm 6'2, and what I would say is that, although my feet are definitely pushed up against the net at the bottom of the bed, this is more to do with the mattress size. The net is big enough so that it would easily fit over larger single mattresses, although admittedly you're unlikely to find many of these in situations where you'd be using it (I live in S.Asia nowadays, things tend to be a little shorter!). I would concur with the suggestion that a box design would ultimately be more spacious and effective, but of course it is also a lot less adaptable and requires a more complicated hanging arrangement. This is a great compromise.

It's certainly not the cheapest net out there, but I'd definitely advocate investing in the domestic basics. Saving a few pounds on a cheap net is a false economy if it means repeated nights of poor sleep!

Twilight in Delhi: A Novel
Twilight in Delhi: A Novel
by Ahmed Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and atmospheric, 31 Dec. 2012
Urdu poetry is weaved into the fabric of this fairly melancholic masterpiece, yet it remains anything but flowery. It's an instantly engaging reminder of a world that almost upped and vanished in 1947, and is fantastically evocative of life in Old Delhi before the modern era. As a relatively new resident of Delhi, and regular wanderer around the back streets of the Old town, I have found myself seeing the city through different eyes after reading this. That the author knew that this was a world that was on the precipice is evident, and you cannot help but feel a degree of sadness that so much has gone in such a short space of time. I'll never look at a kabutar (pigeon) the same way again.

Corsair CMFUSB2.0-16GB 16GB Flash Voyager Water Resistant Flash Drive
Corsair CMFUSB2.0-16GB 16GB Flash Voyager Water Resistant Flash Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely a usb flash drive., 10 Dec. 2012
I don't really know how you rate a usb flash drive if I'm honest. Is it a reasonably priced bit of portable memory: yes. Erm, I guess it's small too - probably about the same size as a usb flash drive. Oh, I do like the rubberyness of it, makes it feel rugged, able to withstand the rigors of being in a pocket or desk draw. Feels like Bear Grylls could use it for transporting valuable data in the outback on a pre-planned yet life-threatening excursion. I've given it 4/5 as I'm not sure that I know what I'm talking about.

Cover-Up Google Nexus 7 Tablet Version Stand Natural Hemp Case with Sleep / Wake function - (Cocoa Brown)

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked a treat for a while... now falling apart., 10 Dec. 2012
From this point until you next see the stars, was my original review *****The look and feel of this case are its real selling points. I went for the chocolate brown version, which has a nice feel to the touch and an understated charm to it. I like that I can get this out and it would appear at a glance to be nice notepad or diary rather than a tablet. I can't fault the quality thus far, but it's only seen a month of proper use to be fair. I'll echo the other comments here on two of the design faults though: the fit and the recess for the volume button. You see, the recess is not actually long enough to fully cover the 'down' side of the volume button. This means that reducing the volume can be slightly fiddly at times. Not a major problem really, but a silly mistake to make when you think that an extra few mm would have made all the difference. The fit is also a slight issue. You can indeed make it pretty snug if you tuck the velcro fastener in as tightly as possible, but then it only overlaps the opposite velcro pad slightly and will eventually work its way loose again. This means tucking it in again once a week or so depending on your usage. Again, not a major problem, but it almost seems like they tested it on an approximation of a Nexus7 that was very slightly larger (and with slightly different volume button) to the production model. Gave it 4/5 but perhaps 3.5/5 would have been fairer considering how easily these issues could have been resolved with better testing.****

Its now just 3 months or so after my initial review, and I must unfortunately report that the cover is now falling apart. It started with the relatively minor issue of the very edge of the "leather" tablet retainer peeling away. This was no biggie. However in the last few weeks the fabric has been fraying and opening up along the two creases on the outer binding, revealing the cardboard interior. It won't be long until the cover comes off entirely. Since I bought this product in late October 2012, and it is now only May 2013, I am a little irked that it has come apart so quickly. I maintain that I have not submitted the cover to any more rigorous abuse than one would reasonably expect. I guess this cover is principally about looks, so if you're looking for something that'll last the course, look elsewhere.

Stirling Moss Luggage Tag
Stirling Moss Luggage Tag
Offered by Shop of Legends

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps too nice for it's own good!, 24 Nov. 2012
I purchased this with a view towards sticking it on my main luggage, as it certainly stands out from the crowd. However, once it arrived I liked it so much that I couldn't bear the thought of it getting ripped off my bag in various airport machinery. It now resides on my hand luggage, which I fully admit is a little pointless as I don't let it out of my sight and it's unlikey to be returned to me by some kindly soul if I did lose it. Stylish, good quality bit of retro racing kit, but perhaps too nice to put through the rigors of airline travel. Stick on your main bag perhaps when embarking on a cross continent dash down to Monte Carlo in your Alfa GT Junior or Jag E-Type. As you do.

Braun Radio Alarm Clock, Blue
Braun Radio Alarm Clock, Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design but for the poor display, 24 Nov. 2012
I'll echo what others say elsewhere about this clock/radio - it's a great piece of design let down by a screen that's hard to read in most lights. For me it's not too much of a problem as I bought it as an alarm clock and I mostly want to check the time when it's dark, in which case the large light button & backlighting work well. I use my watch in the daytime, so it's not an issue for me, but I simply can't believe that Braun decided to go ahead with the design considering such an obvious flaw. I purchased mine for half the rate others are charging, and at that price (think it was under £30) it's a good bit of kit. Radio works well, and the sound quality is pretty good. It's somewhat larger than I imagined (width & height) but is slim and light enough to make up for this. This also allows for a bigger speaker, hence the good sound. One additional flaw may be that you can't use the snooze function in conjunction with the radio as alarm instead of the beeper, but again not too much of a problem.

AMOS 2 Pcs 2-Pin / 3-Pin Prong India Indian / Pakistan / Srilanka Universal Universelle Worldwide Tourist Visitor Visiter Travel Adaptor Adapter Convertor Converter Plug from UK, EU Europe, Switzerland, USA America, Canada, Zambia, France, Germany, Italy, China, England, Great Britain, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Kenya, Kuwait, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Nigeria, Dubai, UAE to India Indian / Pakistan 2-Pin & 3-Pin Prong Plug Round Travel Adaptor Adapter / Convertor Converter Plug (White)
Offered by CostMad-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, small, what's not to like?, 11 Nov. 2012
I've given these adaptors 4 instead of 5 as I only really wanted the 3-pin and it'd be nice if it was available by itself. Having recently relocated to Delhi for the next year, a good 3-pin is a must, and the one included in this pack is perfect. It's small, feels well made and, well, it works. What more can I say? I would advise anyone travelling to South Asia to buy this pack so you don't have to play the old stick in the top hole game when confronted with the occasional safety socket that doesn't allow a two pin only insertion.

Defenders Wind-Action Owl
Defenders Wind-Action Owl

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea......., 23 April 2012
I bought Whootie (that's right) as I've had a problem with pigeons nesting on my small London balcony. Having used strategically placed chicken wire to stop them nesting, they have since resorted to using my balcony as their dancefloor for pulling purposes. As soon as the sun comes up it's like a Friday night in Swansea town centre out there. I was hoping the owl would put a stop to their antics, but unfortunately the jury is out on this one. It does appear to have reduced the overall numbers, but they still keep coming. The other day I even witnessed one land on the railing next it, eye it up, then proceed to perform a little mating dance to it. How dare you woo my whootie, I bet he won't even call in the morning! The suggestion remains that the ones that keep coming back may actually have been pigeons that fledged on my balcony, but strangely I have also had visiting magpies and blackbirds that never came before the arrival of whootie!

The owl itself is well made, and is a nice enough ornament. It's probably caused more than a few second takes from pedestrians down below. It would, perhaps, be more effective at combating smaller bird species in a rural environment, but I'm afraid that urban pigeons simply seem afraid of very little. To be fair to the owl, they often even ignore me banging on the balcony window. It's back to the drawing board on this one for now I'm afraid.....
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2015 11:52 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but still not sure I'd buy it again., 7 Oct. 2010
I bought this for precisely what it's intended for - a travel alarm clock with radio. The problem is that it performs all three of these functions, but none of them that brilliantly

The clock - A clock. World time options etc. Can't really fault the clock aspect. The light works as you'd expect it to, though I'd prefer blue instead of the reddish organe colour it emits. A minor niggle though really.

The alarm - wakes me up ok, but the snooze function is not good. I stopped using it on snooze after one or two attempts, and I think the reason why is that it keeps going off again until you navigate to the alarm screen and then turn the whole alarm off. There lack of a snooze button means that the normal alarm off buttom becomes the snooze button, so it's not a quick push of a button to actually turn the alarm off. Could also lead to you forgetting to turn it on again the next morning.

The radio - Not bad, but I'd have liked more than FM in a travel radio. Being able to get the World Service would be good. The speaker is a bit crackly though and I've expected a bit better from something of the size. It does have auto-tune though, which is useful when you want to browse local stations.

The design - hmmm the use of the leather case to act as the rest is a serious design flaw. I have been working in Sri Lanka for the last 4 months and this has accompanied me everywhere, and the problem I've found is that the leather has lost it's rigidity and tends to flop down, causing the clock to lean further and further back. You can find solutions for this by changing the way you stand it on the leather, but they really should have just included a more practical back-rest from the start. You can't help but feel that the use of faux leather was originally purely for aesthetics and they decided to somehow incorporate it into the functional design.

Thermometer - Hard for me to tell. I have only ever checked it when in my home apartment in Colombo, and it has never varied from around 83-86 degrees day or night. Whilst this seems a fair range of temps for Colombo, I have felt that it is actually much cooler at times - though this could be due to my body acclimatising. So most likely it works fairly well, but then again why do you really even need a thermometer? Surely what matters is how your body feels.

Mustard Varick Bi-Fold Leather Wallet
Mustard Varick Bi-Fold Leather Wallet

4.0 out of 5 stars A wallet. A tanned one, with a sort of Bhuddist/skater/tailor of panama feel to it. Know what I mean?, 7 Oct. 2010
It's certainly a wallet. Money fits into it, so do cards.

I've had this for about four months now, and whilst it's certainly a lot more grubby now (I have been living in Colombo, Sri Lanka during this period, a light colour wallet was not a good choice), the stitching and build qaulity are showing no signs of letting up. Plenty of space for business cards and extras behind the card slots without adding too much extra bulk to the wallet.

The lack of an external logo definitely adds to this products simple but stylish look, and I reckon if I bought some leather cleaner it would scrub up again to a sharp smart/casual sort of wallet. The only problem for me is that I don't like change jingling in my pocket, so I'm not sure that I won't switch back to my other wallet with a change pocket once I get back to the UK (where you don't have notes that cover all denominations).

Page: 1 | 2