Profile for ClaireS > Reviews

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Really entertaining read, 9 Nov. 2011
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
Sometimes, the works of Steven King have annoyed me. Quite often, after carrying the reader on a thrilling journey, his endings have on occasion dissapointed...With this book, nothing dissapointed! I loved everything about it, without a doubt King's best work in years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2011 11:52 AM GMT

Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars not that bad really, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Green Lantern [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
After all of the anti-hype I wasn't particularly looking forwards to seeing this movie. Actually, it turned out to be quite a fun ride, and the kids loved it. Nowhere near as bad as the critics claimed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2011 1:38 AM BST

Wake Wood [DVD]
Wake Wood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Old style hammer??, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Wake Wood [DVD] (DVD)
Despite this movie being touted as a Hammer film, it is in fact only 'presented by Hammer.' Nonetheless, I found it to be highly watchable and it certainly had that 'old style' feel of a Hammer film.
It posed some interesting questions as to how one would react, given the chance to resurect a loved one. It is a question you will ask of yourself when watching the movie, and makes for some unsettling thoughts. A decent film.

The Rats
The Rats
by James Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling!, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Rats (Paperback)
This was one of the first horror stories I ever read, and It made me a massive fan of the genre. Having just re-read 'The Rats' after many long years my opinion hasn't changed. Honestly, in spite of the dozens of horror books I have read, 'The Rats' remains one of my all time favourites. Certainly up there in my personal top five!
A tight writing style which develops into a growing sense of dread, as the threat posed by the rats grows with each subsequant attack.
Without a doubt, James Herbert deserves his acclaim as Britains finest 'master of horror.'

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, brilliant book!!, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)
This item has so many reviews that it hardly seems worthwhile commenting. Other than to say what a fantastic piece of fiction this is. A truly enthralling read for any age group. Just fantastic!

The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County #1)
The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars conflicted!, 12 Oct. 2011
Okay, here's the thing. I find myself to be somewhat conflicted over this book. I deeply, deeply loath the idea of the romanticized vampire! Honestly, it is a concept I despise with passion. Therefore, it is fair to say that I would never personally have purchased this story. In fact it was bought for me, as a gift from a well meaning friend.
The thing is, if I put aside the 'woman lusts after hunky vampire' scenerio, which has been done to death, then actually there was a lot about this story which I enjoyed. The author has a pleasing writing style, and there were some original ideas contained within this book.
So in summary, I personally can't give it top marks, but if romantic vampires are your bag then this is very much one for you.