Profile for Dan > Reviews

Content by Dan

Dan (UK)

Tick Tock Organic Rooibos Loose Leaf Tea 100g  (Pack of 10)
Tick Tock Organic Rooibos Loose Leaf Tea 100g (Pack of 10)
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, 5 Aug. 2014
The best ever no caffeine loose leaf tea.

Why not take the trouble to make a real pot of tea: scald the tea leafs for 30 seconds then discard that dark water. Then brew tea in pot with freshly boiled new water. You WILL taste the difference!

(if you don't believe it's worth it scald an ordinary tea bag for 30 seconds in a mug then taste that! Acidic, bitter, sickly! Also try a cafetiere glass tea pot - you can see the colour!)

Lacor-67006-CHOPER-SCRAPER ST/STEEL
Lacor-67006-CHOPER-SCRAPER ST/STEEL

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect implement for 'managing' bread dough, 8 Jun. 2014
I've struggeld with knives, choppers, hands and anything else that came to hand in managing soft dough in preparation for baking banana bread.

This is a perfectly designed (and well priced) kitchen implement for doing all that's required and ALSO cut the top slits in dough before baking, NO need for the fancy wooden handles offered by some. This is engineered for the job! VERY sharp so handle wih care.

Simply superb!

A History Of God
A History Of God
by Karen Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and fascinating study of perspectives of God since 'his' or 'its' conception, 26 May 2014
This review is from: A History Of God (Paperback)
I've just finished this book and it has changed my whole view of 'god' built up from the time I was 6 years old at a Convent school.

At that time I experienced my unopened Kitkat chocolate bar being removed from my clinging little hands by one of the Sisters because it was Lent, only to see her eating it in the shadow of the cloisters some minutes later! Nonetheless there could be no doubting the existence of god reinforced by a vigourous regime of indoctrination, discipline, the catechism and an overwhelming abunduance of holiness and prayer, and what was right and wrong in the eyes of god who was always looking down on you.

I am now a free man but with an emotional void that still requires filling! At last I have a greater understand of the why now...the why so many have found religion imposed upon them to fill that emptiness with a 'god', the so-called ultimate purpose of being.

Wonderful book. Take it in stages. Underscore lots of important (to you) text in pencil. Make a personal dictionary of new words. It will stay with you forever!

Dualit 72200 Jug Kettle, 1 Liter, Stainless Steel and Black Finish
Dualit 72200 Jug Kettle, 1 Liter, Stainless Steel and Black Finish

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Mar. 2014
The first of these kettles I bought last year had a screw fall out of the lid (the black plastic moulding had broken around screw). I contacted Dualit directly and received no response despite 3 emails. It was out of the normal return dates with Amazon so I couldn't activate their automatic return facility. I eventually found their online chat link and dealt with it through that. They replaced and collected the faulty one within 24 hours. That was very efficient and painless on Amazon's part.

After a couple of months something broke away inside the sealed element base and rolled around inside. Being concerned that because it sounded metallic it may be a fire hazard if contact was made with a live terminal I contacted Amazon and they told me they couldn't facilitate a second return. They would arrange free collection but I had to organise purchasing a replacement myself.

I've never before had to replace a kettle within a few months and never two of them! All my kettles have lasted for at least 5 years, many considerably longer. I purchased this Dualit kettle partly because of its size, partly because of its good looks, but mainly because Dualit products have been robust and a reputation of being very well constructed items in the past. Are their accountants in control rather than their engineers and designers and simply building down to the cheapest production cost they can find? It seems like it! The kettle was collected and refunded by Amazon within 2 days. That again was very efficient and painless on Amazon's part.

My dilemma now is do I go for a third Dualit Kettle and put the recent experiences down to bad luck or do I go for another brand?! Those Kitchenaid Artisans look enticing! In fact enticing enough that I've bought one and it's a delight! Expensive but I have no doubt it will last for many years.

A rather disappointing Dualit experience, nonetheless.

Out of Eden:  The Peopling of the World
Out of Eden: The Peopling of the World
by Stephen Oppenheimer

3.0 out of 5 stars Exasperating writing style, 18 Sept. 2013
I picked this paragraph in order to illustrate a typical example of the exasperating style of writing of this book:

'As a demonstration of a tendency for higher male intrusion across international boundaries, typical mainland East Asian Y-chromosome markers as defined by the single marker Ho (see chapter 5) completely dominate Indo-China and Island Southeast Asia, ranging from 54 to 97 per cent, in different parts of the region, with a sharp fall-off across Wallace Line (the Wallace Line marks the south east limit of the Sundra continent dividing it, and the rest of Asia, from the islands of Eastern Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia - shown in figures 5.3 and 6.4). [YES ALL ONE SENTENCE] However since Ho probably originated in Southeast Asia, there is no reason to suppose that his dominace reflects Northeast Mongoloid intrusion rather than simply re-expansion from Southeast Asia after LGM.' (p265)

Apart from the rambling, breathless style of writing there is, as exemplified in this paragraph, no attempt to explain the ramification of the extraordinary Wallace Line. It's a fascinating feature where the tigers and elephants of Asia stop and the wallabies, kangaroos and cockatoos of Australia begin. The deepwater Lombok Strait that marks the Wallace Line is a natural barrier of just 12 miles width over which these animals never ever crossed.

My view about writing a book of this nature for those other than academics immersed in the subject is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). The above paragraph is terribly written in my view. It's very much of the style of Geoffrey Howe (the Tory politician of the 1980s who wove webs of facts into extended comment about essentially straightforward matters, with such a quietly monotonous voice that you gave up the will to live after the first minute of listening).

The human evolution and migration story is a fascinating one. It's also in part quite a complex one from the genetic pespective. But PLEASE, PLEASE write it in such away as to educate us in an entertaining way. Stephen Oppenheimer is clearly a scientific man who has researched this subject in depth but he is not the person, in my view, to have written this book.

Nuttery Squirrel Proof Oval Suet Feeder
Nuttery Squirrel Proof Oval Suet Feeder

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - Nuttery Squirrel and Predator Proof Oval Suet Feeder, 12 April 2012
The Oval Suet Feeder was bought to replace a half coconut bird feeder that quickly attracted unwanted (and costly for me) squirrels and starlings. They decimated my generous donation to nature!

After just a couple of days of installation I'm now feeding all the smaller birds I originally wanted to target: robins, tits, finches, sparrows so far. They're happily finding their way onto and into the new cage...but thus far no very greedy starlings.

The squirrel has returned, though. It's climbed over it, under it, round it. It's sat on top of it, trying to think its way into it. It's bitten it in every conceivable place. It's tugged and pulled but to no avail! It now sits on a nearby branch twitching its tail in utter frustration trying to work through its latest project that only a few days ago was a guaranteed feast.

It'll keep trying for a while, I know. Good chance for me to get some easy photos of a squirrel in anger!

Canon PIXMA iX7000 Colour Printer
Canon PIXMA iX7000 Colour Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars My lovely PIXMA iX7000, 23 Aug. 2010
I've had a HP CP1700 A3 printer for many years. Whilst the print quality was always very good it did have one very odd quirk. It unnecessarily offset the printing area to the right. I spoke to HP about it at the time and they blamed everything but the printer. I decided to stick with it but really wish I hadn't. The hassle in reverse printing a colour proof, for example, was a time consuming, gluey, unprofessional matter. Finally the display panel failed (I lived with that for over 2 years) so it had to go! That little story was about the HP CP1700.

The new CANON iX700 arrived. It was quickly and easily set up. Even 2 pots of black ink! My first test was the reverse printing. Perfect alignment! The print quality was excellent.

There are some helpful frills one of which is you can see the ink levels on a status monitor. I've yet to run out of ink but I believe the printer won't annoyingly stop functioning (without warning) because of an ink cartridge date stamp or a perceived ink level has been reached (not actually empty) as did the HP.

The PIXMA ix7000 is also a very attractively designed unit.

It's a well priced printer that packs a lot of punch. It's a perfect A3 colour printer for a medium/small business.

Your Money and Your Brain: Become a Smarter, More Successful Investor - the Neuroscience Way
by Jason Zweig

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique insight, 11 Oct. 2009
This book offers a unique insight into how the brain responds to all aspects of share trading. You will no longer trade according to how you 'feel' but to what is more likely to be a profitable trade.

You will live through toe-curling moments and by understanding your reactions to them survive another day!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Big mouse with attitude to match!, 24 Feb. 2009
I've just received my Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 from Hypertec, delivered the day after it was ordered.

I removed my old HP mouse and plugged the Evoluent in and it worked without any fuss. I had to remedy the pointer speed as it was flying round my 2 screens but that was easy enough through the control panel. I downloaded the driver from the Evoluent site as described in the accompanying instructions. This provided a link in the Quick Launch panel to allow me to re-arrange the button functions as required as well as pointer speed etc. There is an array of functions to which you can allocate the buttons and wheel, or if you prefer turn some off until you get used to the mouse. There is a tendency to hit a button inadvertently when you move the mouse around.

I have large hands so being able to grab a meaty mouse in the way it's possible makes it very comfortable. The hand angle removes any physical stress that may have been present with the traditional mouse.

I found myself at ease with it straight away. It will take a short while to fully get used to the new hand position and for things to become totally automatic but it is a totally different concept.

First impression is really good and can't imagine I would want to go back to the traditional mouse.

It is a little pricey in comparison to the traditional types but when you tot up the hours with your hand on the bloomin' thing each day, and times that by the number of days, weeks, months and years you will be using it, does it really matter?!

Your mouse will soon become your unexpected friend - but don't neglect your partner!