Profile for Mark Ramsay > Reviews

Content by Mark Ramsay

Mark Ramsay (Livingston, West Lothian, Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
On Stranger Tides
On Stranger Tides

3.0 out of 5 stars On Stranger Tides you find adventure eventually, 11 Jun. 2017
This review is from: On Stranger Tides (Kindle Edition)
A slow-starter that took a very long time to get going, but had a satisfying ending. I did come to like this book, but can't see myself reading it again

Hitch 22: A Memoir
Hitch 22: A Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts well, sags in the middle, but ends with a flourish, 25 Aug. 2016
Starts well, sags in the middle, but ends with a flourish. This simple sentence encompasses a book that at times I found frustrating and had to put down for a number of weeks, but when I returned I was justly rewarded with a strong finish.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Elementary My Dear Reader, 9 July 2016
A near flawless collection of Holmes short stories and novels, the only detraction being that some of them have not aged well. Therefore the awful racism and elitist attitudes of the author's time and views does come through. However, a solid and enjoyable read on the whole.

Super Sad True Love Story
Super Sad True Love Story

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Boring and Self-Indulgent Story, 13 Sept. 2014
I was very disappointed in this book, as I believe the author is very accomplished. However, I found the characters self-involved, irritating and uninteresting. The story was a real chore to get through, and although there were some interesting ideas about our future technology and how it is affecting our social, culture and communication skills. Unfortunately this was all drowned out by the self-indulgent characters.

Worm: The First Digital World War
Worm: The First Digital World War

4.0 out of 5 stars Worms it's way into your thoughts, 17 Jun. 2014
A very detailed and extraordinary story, it does demonstrate that future battles will not just be fought with explosive weapons, but computers. Fascination, well-told and just a bit terrifying.

The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five
The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five

3.0 out of 5 stars One Fantastic Book, Three Mediocre And The Fifth, Well..., 5 May 2014
...The fifth book; Mostly Harmless had a great last 5 chapters. The unfortunate thing in feel is that these books came into my life too late for me to gravitate towards them as others seem to do. I believe the other misstep I made was reading all five back-to-back at once and felt the trajectory of the narrative and my enjoyment dipped with each entry.

Please don't get me wrong, all five books are inventive, clever and witty. However,the first book is by far the stand-out entry and then it diminishes into self-reference and incoherence with each book.

I'm glad I read them, and I would probably read the first again for fun, but skip the other four.

Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes Book 1)
Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Elementary, my dear Mr Lane, 11 Jan. 2014
An intriguing and largely enjoyable boys-own adventure, very heavily influenced by Charlie Higson's Young Bond novels. The Sherlock Holmes presented here, is not the one from the Doyle stories, or even the film of Young Sherlock Holmes; he's younger, rawer and less sure of himself.

This is a Holmes who is only starting to utilise logic and reason, but the raw material is there. I did really enjoy this adventure, but couldn't quite equate this character to Holmes as the differences were too stark, however perhaps future volumes take the character down the path to be closer to what I know, and love.

Roma: The Epic Novel of Ancient Rome
Roma: The Epic Novel of Ancient Rome

4.0 out of 5 stars I look forward to crossing the Rubicon in future titles, 5 Jan. 2014
Steven Saylor expertly weaves the fact, fiction, hearsay, myth and legends surrounding the founding of Rome right through to the coming of the Empire of Augustus.

The author anchors you to a pair of families and follows them through the many centuries of what became Rome, and beyond in such an immediate and relatable way that it all seems immediately plausible.

I am keen to now seek out the author's further works on this subject as he obviously researches heavily, but does not become too beholden to the intricacies at the expense of the narrative he constructs.

Love All the People (New Edition)
Love All the People (New Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Love All The People And They'll Learn To Love You, 17 Oct. 2013
This book was a fascinating read, as although I'd heard of Bill Hicks from his reputation as an outspoken, but popular US comedian here in the UK (or England has he kept referring to it, we have three other countries you know?!) I knew nothing about his views or material.

I found his point of view enlightening, well thought out and at times hilarious. I wouldn't say I agreed one hundred percent with all of his talking points (you were high on mushrooms not abducted by aliens, sorry Bill).

The only downside to this book was related to how a comedian works a bit, whereby he/she retells it and shapes it until they have it down before retiring it to replace it with another bit. As this book contains transcripts from a number of shows and interviews in a small timeframe that means a lot of repetition.

Dream of Ding Village
Dream of Ding Village

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a Nightmare than a Dream, 18 April 2013
This is book is very well written, you get a sense of the village life and the attitudes of the people who inhabit it. It also presents a fictionalised version of a terrible time in recent Chinese history, however it's hard to warm to any of the characters despite their plight, as the epidemic brings out the worst in the majority of the residents.

Even the main character is hard to sympathise with due to his inability to see when he is being ill-treated and/or manipulated by his friends.

The story itself is as I said well-told, but sobering to the point of oppressiveness. The narration also feels gimmicky, even though it does pay-off at the end.

I found this historically an interesting story, but after a while far too depressing to be enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2