Profile for Jonny > Reviews

Content by Jonny

Jonny

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Offered by Online Entertainment Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Next Gen becomes inFamous, 18 Dec. 2014
The original inFAMOUS was the reason I purchased my PS3 last gen so as a long time fan of the inFAMOUS series I was greatly anticipating this one.

The first thing you'll notice as you fire this game up is how good it looks, I was in awe of the water, sky and lighting as I raced along the beach in the opening moments.

The controls are quite fluid and easy to get to grips with, the character animation is done well here. If you've played any of the previous series installments you'll immdiately feel at home with the games basic mechanics.

The plot is set some time in the future after the events of inFAMOUS 2 and focuses on protagonist Delsin who is on a mission to help the people of his village...or take revenge if you'd prefer. The series morality is still here with various decisions and missons that can be undetaken which will influence how people perceive Delsin and also alter his power set.

I enjoyed playing with the new powers and testing what you could do with each new upgrade. Being able to switch between power types was really cool and helped to mix things up a bit rather than being confined to one set of abilities.

I completed this twice to achieve both endings/outcomes, beyond my two playthroughs I cant say I felt much compulsion to go back to this one, however there is plenty of hours to be had from 2 run throughs.

Although I personally prefered Cole's outings in the previous games, second son is a good addition to the series, a fantastic introduction to next gen and is worth picking up.

FLIP WALLET PU LEATHER EXECUTIVE CASE SKIN FOR iPHONE 4/4S WITH CARD SLOT FOR ALL YOUR CARDS WITH FREE SCREEN PROTECTER 2 in 1 BUNDLES By TECH PROTECT (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, has been very hard wearing so ..., 18 Dec. 2014
Works as expected, has been very hard wearing so far as have had this case for nearly two years now, very minimal cosmetic damge over this time. Card slots are handy for popping bank card or notes into.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 18 Dec. 2014
Bought for my wife who was initially impressed with the new case, however within a week or so the fastening tab split exposing the magnet within which subsequently fell out. The case will no longer remain closed. Disapointing.

Watch Dogs (PS4)
Watch Dogs (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars short lived and boring. Like a lot of people I allowed myself ..., 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Watch Dogs (PS4) (Video Game)
What can I say to sum up my experience of watchdogs? It was overblown, short lived and boring. Like a lot of people I allowed myself to be swept up in the hype and promises that were made by ubisoft, the final product is far from what was envisioned.

Dont get me wrong, the game is okay but it significantly pales in comparison to other open world games like GTA V and Ubisoft's own Assassins Creed Black Flag.

After the first week of playing this game I really struggled to find the enthusiasm to keep going and since completing the main game I have not had this disc back in my PS4. I found the main story to be quite short and the side missions uninspired busy work. There was simply too much repitition with little or no variation.

The main character Aiden isnt very likeable, lacking any charm or charisma, I found him a bit dull. His moral compass is very scewed especially when it comes to his family, its a wonder his sister didnt pack up and ditch this selfish fool years ago.
If they were aiming for a likeable rogue like a John Marsdon or Ezio Auditore etc they really missed the mark by a mile.

The main redeemable qualities of this game are its hacking and multi-player, although even the hacking gets tired very quickly, there are only a handful of hacks available not all of which are much use. The multi player surprised me and I did spend a few nights playing away, it's a nice touch that other players can hack your game and try and disrupt you/score points off you, but I wouldnt say it makes the game a 'must have'.

If you really want to play this game, wait until it comes down in price further, at 30-odd quid I think its overpriced for the content and enjoyment that I had from this title. Its a shame really because I was really looking forward to this one.

Destiny Limited Edition (PS4)
Destiny Limited Edition (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined for greatness, 8 Oct. 2014
Unless you've been kept in stasis for the last year you will surely have at least heard of Destiny. This is the new project from Bungie (of Halo fame and acclaim). Destiny is a multiplayer sci-fi first person shooter set against the backdrop of our own planet and solar system. The aim of the game? Become Legend.

I love this game! From the moment I set foot in the Cosmodrome during the summer's beta it ignited a burning obsession deep within my being.

The plot is straight forward, you are a Guardian tasked with defending the last safe city on earth and to take the fight to the alien scum around the galaxy. Click, click, boom! If it bleeds we can kill it.

A lot of people have criticised the lack of story, I personally think that Bungie give you enough to work with, not forgetting there will be more to come over the coming months and years in the form of DLC. This was never going to be an emotional story driven epic like The Last of Us, the game sets up enough of a premise and story to support your quest through our solar system tearing alien invaders a new one.

The gameplay is solid, I have no complaints about the controls or basic gameplay mechanics, everything handles well. There are numerous weapons and upgrades available to tailor your experience to your own play style. There are three classes of Guardian - Titan, Warlock and Hunter - each with 2 subclasses available, to me it looks as though Bungie have left space for a third sub class at some point in the future. I personally choose to play as a Titan which I can only really describe as an Armoured powerhouse space knight.

Destiny is always online, so you will need an internet connection and PS Plus subscription to enjoy the goodness contained within. Throughout your play time you will meet other Guardians also trying to become legend, what you do is entirely up to you - go it alone or team up to take down enemies together. You don’t have to play with others, but it's so much fun, I think you would be really missing out if not. You can play co-op with a fireteam consisting of between 3-6 players to face bigger challenges like strikes and raids. Alternatively if you seek recognition and glory on a solo basis then why not try your hand at one of the several competitive modes in the crucible. Whatever your play style or preference, Destiny's got you covered.

Another criticism that I've read in forums etc. Is that there is a lot of repetition and there is a lot of grinding to level up/obtain better gear post level 20. It is true that there will be repetition while you attempt to amass resources and legendary gear, It doesn’t really bother me, I enjoy the gameplay and If I’m bored with bounties or whatever I’m focused on at that time I can easily change it up and try something else like the crucible. There’s enough here to keep me going and with 2 DLC's on the way in the not too distant future, there will be new challenges further down the road.

The limited edition itself is a nice package, the extras are pretty cool, I particularly like the arms and armaments book. I think its a good price for this package considering all the extras and access to the 2 DLC packages.

This is easily one of the biggest games around right now, and for me personally Its my game of the year. I cant praise this game highly enough, I understand that there are those out there who haven’t found the same enjoyment I've experienced, each to their own. If you're on the fence about Destiny, at the very least give it a try and see if it draws you into its rich world like it has for me and others.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sometimes Amazing Spider-man, 14 May 2014
I'm a huge spider-man fan having read 30+ years of the web head's comic book adventures, so I'm naturally intrigued by any new game offering. Having played and completed this game I can honestly say it isn't a bad game, but it isnt an amazing one either. I still had fun web-slinging around Manhattan but there are a few issues which spoil this games potential.

I liked the new web slinging triggers, using L1 and R2 to choose which arm to swing with. This allows for some pretty nice maneuverability especially when cutting arround corners at speed. Being able to determine which arm to lead your swing with certainly gives a greater sense of control over the previous Amazing Spider-man's one button mechanism. The web swinging is far from perfect though, there were numerous occassions where traversal would be interrupted by buildings or being unable to gain height quickly enough to clear obstacles. On the whole though swinging around town is still one of the most satisfying aspects of the gameplay.

The fighting is still in the same style as the previous offering with one button for attack and one button to dodge when prompted by your spider-sense. This is the same idea as the Batman Arkham series of games, also there is a spider-sense vision which is the same idea as Batman's detective vision. During fights with larger groups of enemies I often encountered problems with the camera view which somewhat spoiled the enjoyment of putting a beat down on thugs. On some occassions enemies would be off screen out of view and it could be a struggle to get them back in frame.

As reported in other reviews I also had to reset/restart on occassion due to a game breaking bug. It only happened maybe 3 times during my playthorugh from start to finish, but it is frustrating when it does.

The Good: Web slinging, cast of notable characters from spider-man's rich history, numerous costumes to unlock,

The Bad: occassional glitches, bad camera angle during fights, short completion time

If you like Spider-man you will enjoy this game, if you dont I'm sure you would still find it an enjoyable game however it does pale in comparison to previous Spider-man games such as Amazing Spider-man and Spider-man web of shadows which I enjoyed more than this game.