Profile for Andrew C > Reviews

Content by Andrew C

Andrew C (Dublin, Ireland)

Lenovo S6000 10.1-inch Tablet (Black) - (Quad Core 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x camera, Android 4.2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed At An Excellent Price, 9 Oct. 2013
I bought my first tablet earlier this year. I was looking for something to use when travelling/away to watch video, do some light browsing and use a handful of apps. I settled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Despite the fact that it does everything expected with ease, upon delivery I have to admit I did not realise how small a 7 inch screen is. Thus, while the Tab 2 did the job, I really wanted a 10 inch tablet.

Enter the Lenovo IdeaTab S6000. It does all of the above, but is just so much better on a 10 inch screen. I find that the larger screen makes interaction with the device so much more fluid as it is very rare that you mis-touch an icon, app, link etc in comparison to the 7 inch screen. Also, battery is excellent which is important when travelling. Based on early experience, Lenovos' claims of 9 hours use off a full charge seem pretty accurate.

Ok, so the drawbacks (all minor for me). Processor speed and screen resolution are not up to some of the S6000s' more fashionable (and expensive) competitors. This is evident when rotating from landscape to portrait which is relatively slow and a little jumpy. However, other than this I've not noticed any other performance issues impeding my requirements of a tablet.

Another minor drawback is Lenovo's customisations to Android 4.2 which mean that it is only possible to have 2 screens to the left and 2 screens to the right of the home screen (making 5 screens in all). I believe it's impossible to add additional screens, unlike the Tab 2 and most other Android devices. However, at 56 apps per screen on the S6000, this should really not be an issue for anyone. Only other drawback is the lack of detailed documentation, either supplied or online.

I showed the S6000 to my 72 year old Dad last weekend, and it was a struggle to get it back. An absolute beginner re computers (struggles to use laptop), he found the device so easy to use.... watch movies, check news, view photos, he loved it. I'm going to buy another for him.

So, if you're looking for a 10 inch tablet, with Android 4.2 for basic use (browsing, email, video etc), while commuting/holidaying, at a very competitive price, you'll do well to beat the S6000. Of course, the specs of the iPad, Note 10.1, Nexus 10 etc are considerably better, but the prices are considerably higher. For me the S6000 does what it's 10 inch competitors do at half the price (or less in some cases).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2014 3:30 PM BST