Profile for Eistos > Reviews

Content by Eistos

Eistos

The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda Book 1)
The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 29 Dec. 2013
The storyline reads like the work of a moderately talented high school student. Also, it could have benefitted from better editing to improve the poorly expressed turns of phrase that seem to appear every few pages. I won't be buying any of the other books in the series.

Pop Babylon
Pop Babylon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Pop Babylon (Kindle Edition)
The Babylon books are a good light read. At their best, they teach you something new about both the human side and the practicalities of working in a people-focused industry. Each is a collection of real life stories, but told as if fictional characters created for the book were the main players, and compressed into a short timeframe.

With this volume in the series, which focuses on the creation and eventual disintegration of a boy band, I learned nothing new. Hotel Babylon, Air Babylon, Beach Babylon and Fashion Bablylon, which I have read, all deliver much more.

If you want to read about real life music industry excess, I would instead recommend the autobiography of Danny Sugerman, manager of the Doors - Wonderland Avenue.

Grounded (The Grounded Trilogy Book 1)
Grounded (The Grounded Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal, not science, 28 April 2013
Fairly well written. The Amish shtick is a bit hackneyed, but works fine.

It's not really science fiction - it's more like paranormal fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting. The stuff about biological production of electric power contradicts fundamentals of physics such as the laws of thermodynamics, and is really a form of magic with a thin scientific skin. I know that plenty of readers will be fine with this, but for me it grated constantly.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly written hard science fiction, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
This is well written hard science fiction, well thought through, based on space technologies that are not too far ahead of what we could build now. If there are any problems with the science, engineering and agronomy, they were not obvious enough to grate. I am pleased that it has been picked up by a publisher, and I will probably purchase a hard copy when it is available.

Extinction Point (Extinction Point Series Book 1)
Extinction Point (Extinction Point Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe this has 4.5 stars, 25 April 2013
I just recently got a Kindle app for my tablet, and downloaded a few of the science fiction novels with the most stars. Never again. I now know that the number of stars is meaningless as a measure of quality. I made it through to the end of this book, but I was convinced it was the work of a talented high school student rather than an adult with some experience of the world until I got to the bio.

The currently top ranked review is accurate and well judged, while being phrased in a kindly manner. I now know that I should check the actual reviews for an unfamiliar author, rather than judging by the number of stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2016 11:36 AM GMT