Profile for BethanyK > Reviews

Mist Over Pendle
Mist Over Pendle
by Robert Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favorite, 17 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Mist Over Pendle (Paperback)
I first read this book as a young teenager, some 35 years ago. I was enchanted by the book and remembered it always, as one of my favorite reads. I remembered the title of the book ("The Elegant Witch", here in America) and some small details like the syllabub--a dessert I'd never heard of before--but little else. As an adult, I sought to find the book in local libraries, but was told that it was out of print. Saddened by that fact, I gave up on ever finding the book again.

Fast forward to many years later, I discovered Amazon rare books and paid less than seven dollars, including shipping, for a used copy. What a wonderful investment! I am so thrilled to have been reacquainted with my old favorite! This book is an historical treat and a well written, richly told story. I particularly liked the deft character portrayal and the way the author transports the reader to the haunting time and place of early 17th century Pendle Hill. My only complaint is the abrupt ending. I would have preferred the book to go on to twice its length.

I feel as though I've been reunited with a long lost friend.