Profile for Kathscool > Reviews

Content by Kathscool

Kathscool "Kitty" (Milton Keynes Bucks UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Good Guy: Shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award 2016
The Good Guy: Shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award 2016

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 5 May 2017
I couldn't put this down, well written at a fairly fast pace.
I was disappointed by the ending hence only 4 stars. I wanted to know about Lily and how Penny found her and what happened to Ted after he turned west.,and what was in the letter in the introduction. I read this for book club , would have otherwise been put off by the cover design and wouldn't have chosen it .

Matt for Dads (Daily Telegraph)
Matt for Dads (Daily Telegraph)
by Matt Pritchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Present, 16 Aug. 2013
Father's Day present for my son ,he loved it and I am sure will dip in to it regularly over the year

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 16 Aug. 2013
I found this book very Iinteresting ,it raised questions that had always puzzled me. And I am now keen to make further,more.. academic study the Guardian reviewer really slated it and perhaps for a true scholar it is a bit light weight but for the lay person like myself it has whetted my appetite for more learned works on the subject. It also made me question my acceptance of things I have been taught from a child.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 3:16 PM BST

Flight Behaviour
Flight Behaviour

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Flight Behaviour (Kindle Edition)
I love the way she tackles serious subjects with lightness and humour. An very good read, which I would recommend to both her fans and those who are new to her work.

Death Comes to Pemberley: Enhanced Edition
Death Comes to Pemberley: Enhanced Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 31 May 2013
Quite an ordinary mystery story on the coat tails of Austin's Pride and Prejudice. I worked out the twists and turns. The writing is James's usual quality but I did not feel this was worthy of a writer of her caliber.

The Unknown Bridesmaid
The Unknown Bridesmaid

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Mar. 2013
A long awaited novel from Margaret Forster. I could not put it down. She weaves the threads of story her together so skilfully and people's her novels with real believable individuals.i don,t want to spoil the story but recommend it as a very good read .

The Ship of Brides
The Ship of Brides

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, 21 Feb. 2013
I had never heard about the Australian war brides, I found this a really interesting account although found the jumping about from one story to another and the flash backs a rather irritating device, however it did keep me reading to find the outcome of the various little mysteries of each of the for central characters lives. On the whole good read.

Mrs Bridge (Penguin Modern Classics)
Mrs Bridge (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly compelling, 19 Feb. 2013
I found Mrs Bridge a compelling read and kept waiting for something to happen. She drifts though her life being 'nice" and doing nothing in her cosy middle class world of Country Club and social events never having the courage to express an opinion.
She is a product of her time and class, at times I would have liked to shake her out of her complacency. A good gentle read.

102 English Things to Do
102 English Things to Do
by Alex Quick

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Read, 20 Dec. 2012
This is a great little book to dip into, however I found once I had started to read the very short chapters I just had to go onto the next and the next. It is amusing and self deprecating in a typically English way. Wonderful stocking filler, I intend to mail it to friends and relatives abroad.

The House on Willow Street
The House on Willow Street
by Cathy Kelly

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many words,too thin plot, 12 Oct. 2012
This was my first Cathy Kelly novel and it will be my last. Very predictable, I guessed the out comes in all the stories. I found the characters one dimentional and unbelievable.It was all tied up too neatly at the end. The dialogue was stilted and didn't ring true. And please! "AVALON" ! give me a break! Ballyrubbish would have be more appropriate.

Page: 1 | 2