Profile for Fiach Dubh > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose weight fast and reprogramme your body
The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose weight fast and reprogramme your body

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Bloody' interesting book!, 28 July 2016
Very useful and interesting book for me as I have blood sugar issues despite being fit and exercising regularly. Useful tips and contacts included. The recommended dietary adjustments were very much to my liking and I had to make only slight adjustments to accommodate the recommendations.

Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen Premium Leather Black Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + 2 IN 1 Ball Pen Touch Stylus Pen + RED 2 IN 1 Dust Stopper + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth SVL6 BY SHUKAN®, (WALLET BLACK)
Offered by Shukan

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise., 28 July 2016
There were ordered as a stop-gap measure as my wife and I had both changed phones at the same time recently. Not wanting to leave the phones unprotected, we looked for inexpensive covers that would suit both phones. We hadn't a lot of time to browse so we took the first and least expensie items that came up. They turned out to be suprprisingly good value and we are quite happy to continue with them for a long as they last. They arrived within a couple of days of ordering, on July 18th. A very quick service and a very satisfactory one.

The Water-Babies
The Water-Babies

5.0 out of 5 stars Rolling back the years., 29 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Water-Babies (Kindle Edition)
This is a story for children, chidlren of all ages. I read it first about fifty-five years ago. I did not fully understand it then, in all of its nuances, and I probably do not fully understand it now. However, and this is entirely subjective, I enjoy it even more now than I did back then. This is contrary to what is commonly experienced when returning to what one read as a child. It often crossed my kind in the intervening years and always with a frisson of pleasure akin to what I felt when I first read it. Against what I believed to be my better judgement I bought it again and began to read it with a view to reading it to my grandchild as soon as she is old enough to grasp something of the story. I am pleasantly surprised that this tale has stood the test of time and that I derive as much pleasure from it today as a sexagenarian as I did as a young child. It has that special quality about it that makes it enjoyable to both young and old. It has the naivety of childhood and the wisdom of the old. Read and enjoy!

The Invention of Wings
The Invention of Wings

5.0 out of 5 stars One person's privilege requires another's deprivation., 25 Nov. 2015
Excellent book and well written. Her narrative is credible and the picture of slavery depicted is convincing. Her background detail makes it read like a biography. Man's inhumanity to man continues today and this book is a timely reminder that the mindset behind slavery and gender discrimination is still alive today. The 1st world enslaves the 3rd and expects it to be grateful.

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and love it!, 17 Nov. 2015
This book was a most unexpected find. I had given up reading fiction, almost. Then this book was mentioned to me in error as I am interested in bees and bee-keeping, thought not a bee-keeper myself. It is well written, has a good pace and the style is very compelling in that it keeps you interested as if the protagonist is a person with whom you have actually become acquainted and whose welfare and well-being matter, personally, to you. I enjoyed it tremendously and I intend to read it again in the next few weeks. An excellent buy and, unlike the most recent fiction that I had read, and which had put me off reading fiction again, it has inspired me to read other works by the same author. Read it, you won' regret it even if you don't like it as much as I have.

The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long Term Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon, an Unprofessional Service Provider, 18 Jun. 2015
i purchased this book having received an offer of a free book, together with a code. I entered the code and it did not work. I went on, having had a similar experience in the past with Amazon, where the code did not work but, nevertheless, I got the free credit. This time, however, when I purchased the book that I wanted I was invoiced for the full amount, despite having entered the code. I will enjoy this book, somewhat poignantly, as it is the last time that I will purchase anything from Amazon. I attempted to return the book, several times. but I was unsuccessful. Never again will I waste my time on this unprofessional company.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2015 9:43 AM BST

The Moral Arc: How Science Makes Us Better People
The Moral Arc: How Science Makes Us Better People

5.0 out of 5 stars Think and Become Free, 23 Mar. 2015
For far too long we accepted religious leaders as arbiters of what was morally acceptable and what was not. This despite the fact that these moral arbiters are often poor exemplars of morality. Michael Shermer and others like him open our eyes so that we can see the reality of what we had previously accepted as truth, i.e that it is mostly delusion. If we are what we think, then each of us should start thinking independently and cultivate a healthy scepticism. This will serve us far better than the unquestioning beliefs that we often carry with us through life and unquestioningly pass on to the next generation. My faith, so long entrusted to the dubious care of religious hierarchy, is now firmly placed in science and reason, but I will never again accept anything on trust. I have become a sceptic and I will ever remain so. This book and othrs like it have helped me to reshape my thinking and my life. Thank you and well done.

Garmin eTrex Carry Case
Garmin eTrex Carry Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great!, 27 Feb. 2015
The case is good and keeps the GPS safe and saves having to put it away between times of use. It is a little tight, not an excellent fit, but it is quite adequate and I am satisfied that it does what I expected of it. If the Garmin itself were not so well padded I would have more serious reservations about the protective abilities of this case.

FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case Bag for Outdoor Activities - Perfect for Boating / Kayaking / Rafting / Swimming - Waterproof bag for Apple iPhone 6S, 6, 5S, 5C, 5; Galaxy S6, S4, S3; HTC One X, Galaxy Note 3, Note 2; LG G2 - Protects your Cell Phone or MP3 Player from Water, Sand, Dust and Dirt - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Black)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory performance under trying conditions, 10 Jan. 2015
The product arrived well-packaged and intact. I have used it in testing conditions, outdoors in snow and hail storms on mountains etc. and found it watertight. It also allow the use of the phone while affording full protection.

Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Burgundy
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Burgundy

4.0 out of 5 stars The daily data update is a great incentive to get out there and to do stuff, 28 Dec. 2014
I've been using this device for more than a year. The daily data update is a great incentive to get out there and to do stuff. I have trekked more than three thousand miles hillalking since I got it (May 13) and reading thsoe stats drives me on to do more. There is more to it than milage. There are heights climbed,calories burned, steps counted etc. with the additional facilityof sleep tracking and all of this appears on a record on the computer at a very low initial cost. This stuffs ounds a little petty but for me it adds up to me being the fittest I have ever been in more than sixty years. One tip, buy from an offical source. My first was not and when it went wrong I had no back up. With the current one I hvae only had one problem and the back up was fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3