Profile for Cookstown > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Live At Leeds [VINYL]
Live At Leeds [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sounding Lp, 10 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Live At Leeds [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Fantastic sounding Lp, Abbey Road have done a superb job. As it has been mastered quietly you do need to turn the volume up to get the full effect but its well worth it.

At Budokan: Complete Concert 2 LP(180gr). [VINYL]
At Budokan: Complete Concert 2 LP(180gr). [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to finally have this album on vinyl( the CD ..., 17 Jun. 2016
Great to finally have this album on vinyl( the CD is fine) only loses a star because the remastering uses the CD remaster. So sound quality is good but not as good as it could be. Listen to the kevin Gray remaster of the original single disc version on Friday Music to hear what is possible.

Changesonebowie [VINYL]
Changesonebowie [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Side 2 includes the forthcoming remasters in the 2nd Box ..., 17 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Changesonebowie [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Side 2 includes the forthcoming remasters in the 2nd Box set & I for one can't wait to get my hands on one.

The Complete 1978 Radio Broadcasts (15 CD Box Set)
The Complete 1978 Radio Broadcasts (15 CD Box Set)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better SQ than the HD download., 23 Feb. 2016
This box set is incredible value for money but its the sound quality I'm going to comment on. Of the 5 concerts the Agora shows stands out as the best quality, at least as good as the official version available from The boss's own website and I speak as one who has bought the official HD download. The official version sounds constrained and more artificial than the version on this box set. There might be a few more rough edges to this master but I think that's how its supposed to be. Put it this way, if I could get a refund on the HD download I wouldn't hesitate.

The Beatles 1962 - 1966 [VINYL]
The Beatles 1962 - 1966 [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Red than dead?, 1 Dec. 2015
What is there to say? Superb sound quality & a triple AAA remaster on vinyl unlike the CDs.

True Blood: Music From the Hbo Original 4 [VINYL]
True Blood: Music From the Hbo Original 4 [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation., 1 Dec. 2015
Great collection of artists & songs. Encourages you to sample some of the artists own albums, which is what a good compilation should do.

The Vinyl Collection 1972-1980 [VINYL]
The Vinyl Collection 1972-1980 [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever You Want, well almost., 1 Dec. 2015
Superb remastering although no one is credited which seems strange. Certainly there doesn't appear to be any brick-walling or dynamic constriction used. In fact I'd hazard a guess & say this was a straight transfer from original tapes to a new master. Regardless I've never heard the Quo sound so good.
A word of warning though! The first box I received didn't contain "What ever You Want", the sleeve for this LP instead contained a copy of "Hello". I sent it back and the second box had the same problem. Amazon offered a discount which I accepted as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of returning the second box. So if you haven't yet fully checked the contents now would be a good time.I'm just hoping these will be issued as standalone LPs so that I can finally get a copy of "Whatever You Want". And yes I am aware of the irony of the title.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2015 9:28 PM GMT

Bruce Springsteen & The E St's London Calling: Live in Hyde Park [Blu-ray] [2010] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bruce Springsteen

3.0 out of 5 stars The boss let down by poor sound quality., 23 Mar. 2014
I'm writing this as a long term fan of the Boss's who owns every official album released and a few unofficial bootlegs so I take no joy in awarding this album 3 stars. Unfortunately the sound quality as mentioned by others is really poor with particularly weak bass. I suspect this album is another victim of the loudness wars. Really disappointed.

The Rolling Stones: GRRR! [Blu-Ray Audio]
The Rolling Stones: GRRR! [Blu-Ray Audio]

5.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Sound, 17 Feb. 2014
This is a review of the Blu-Ray Audio Disc. Anyone buying this pretty much knows what the music sounds like so this is a review of the format itself. Comparing it to my Linn LP12 I felt it came up short but considering the cost differential so it should. I then compared it against a basic CD player both played through the Musical Fidelity M1Dac. No competition. Sound was so much more rich with a more realistic soundstage. Finally I compared it with the CD ripped to my laptop and again it absolutely blew it away. There was no CD edginess and I wanted to keep listening long after I would have given up on CD or Laptop. For the price its well worth trying it for yourself. Note the digital copy available to download is mp3 not flac.

25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert
25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Balls of Fire, 15 Jan. 2013
Springsteen, U2, CSN, Simon & Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder et al.
If this concert doesn't float your boat you're seriously water-holed.
Having listened to all 4 CDs I can't make my mind up which is best. They all seem to offer something, and this from a Bruce Springsteen fan!
Cd 1 focuses on CSN & guests, followed by Paul Simon then Simon & Garfunkel who sound as good as I've ever heard them.
Stevie Wonder closes Cd1 & opens Cd2 wherin the Boss takes over. Highlight of the set is The Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello(Rage Against the Machine/ Audioslave), absolutely awesome.
CD3 is Metallica & guests which I really enjoyed although not a Metallica fan.
And finally Cd4 which is basically a U2 live set plus guests.
I think what makes this collection special is the interaction between the big names & their guests. Everyone genuinely seems to be enjoying themselves.
Despite the cost it's worth every penny.

Page: 1 | 2