Profile for Mr F. > Reviews

Divine Vegan Desserts: Over 100 Delectable Dairy- and Egg-free Recipes
Divine Vegan Desserts: Over 100 Delectable Dairy- and Egg-free Recipes
by Lisa Fabry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 27 Dec. 2012
I'm really impressed with this book, it has some fantastic recipes in it and is also extremely useful in that it gives recipes for basic things like caramel, custard, homemade soya cream etc that make it really easy to veganise non-vegan recipes from other books. I used the recipes for soya cream and caramel to veganise a recipe for chocolate & salted caramel tart and it went down a treat with vegans & non-vegans alike. I've also made the hazelnut & mocha mousse cupcakes (amazing!), the lime tart (unusual and delicious) and several batches of soya cream (who'd have known it was so easy to make soya milk into cream?!) which has saved me a fortune as it's pretty expensive to buy and not always available. Looking forward to making more things out of this book in the future.

Your Blue-Eyed Boy
Your Blue-Eyed Boy
by Helen Dunmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a different book, the second time, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Your Blue-Eyed Boy (Paperback)
Oh my, how I love this book! While I was reading it for the first time, I thought it was OK. I liked the style of writing, the story and character development were fairly interesting, but I didn't think it was spectacular. I envisaged reading it once, reasonably enjoying it, and then probably passing it on to someone else.
But then I got to the end. And I spent about 15 minutes going "wha...?? But she...didn't she...? Argh!" And then I went straight back to the start and read it again, and it was a completely different book when I knew what happened at the end. I don't want to say much more as the ending left me so blown away I don't want to deprive anyone else of this feeling, but let's just say don't take everything at face value - stop and think about it a little bit.

Saved by Cake
Saved by Cake
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Saved by Cake (Hardcover)
I've made about 6 recipes from this book and they've all turned out really well. I do find that a lot of the recipes require way more sugar than I'd expect and I've found some of the things rather sweet for my taste (the cola cake in particular was impossibly sweet, and I only used a third of the amount of mini marshmallows it said to use!) so I think I'll reduce the sugar in future if it seems like a lot. In general, there are some interesting and unusual recipes which were the reason I bought the book - I already have lots of baking books so I don't want one that will just repeat common recipes that I already have - and the recipes are all easy to follow.

Headhunters
Headhunters

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous!, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
I recently read and very much enjoyed all of the Harry Hole books, which pleasantly surprised me as I'm not massively into murder mysteries and I expected Jo Nesbo to be a bit over-rated and not as good as the hype made out. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Headhunters - I spent the whole book either sniggering at the ridiculous premises holding up the (not very impressive) plot or just wondering whether he'd written it as a joke while drunk. The whole thing was completely ludicrous from start to finish, with incredibly unrealistic characters, far-fetched and inexplicable things happening and not particularly great writing. I can't believe anyone has given it a positive review!

Paint It Black
Paint It Black
by Janet Fitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Misery!, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Paint It Black (Paperback)
I absolutely loved White Oleander - not so much for the plot as for the fascinating characters, character development and relationships throughout the book - so I was really looking forward to reading Paint it Black, although I try not to judge a new book by the author's previous ones. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped - it's a fairly well written book, but I didn't find any of the characters particularly appealing and by halfway through it felt like I was having to drag myself through it. It's just doom and misery from start to finish, which is understandable given the subject matter, but makes for very heavy going. The fact that I didn't really like any of the characters meant that after a while I sort of didn't really care what happened to them or how they felt, and although I did read it right to the end, I was glad to finish it! It's a shame as I do think Janet Fitch is a very good writer, but this book really wasn't for me.

Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts
Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts
by Sharon Valencik

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided so far, 1 Jan. 2012
This book has some lovely-looking recipes in it and has a wide range of different things - cakes, muffins, biscuits and various types of desserts. Most of the recipes look reasonably simple and the pictures are very attractive and give a good idea of what the finished product should be like. Unfortunately though, I wasn't impressed with either of the two recipes I've used so far. I'm an experienced baker and followed the recipes exactly, but neither thing I made turned out well. The lemon poppyseed cake didn't rise at all, however that wasn't too much of an issue as it tasted great and had a nice texture. The carrot cake negril was a complete disaster - as I was making it, I was unconvinced by the number of wet ingredients that went into it, but I followed the recipe to see how it turned out. It was in the oven for more than twice as long as the recipe said, but the cake was still like raw batter inside and I don't think that any amount of extra cooking was going to help because there were just way too many wet ingredients in it. I was particularly disappointed with this, as it was quite an expensive cake to make with the amount of maple syrup in it and the £2.70 tub of vegan cream cheese for the topping, so I wasted quite a bit of money and time on it, not to mention having to then make another cake instead. I'll try some of the other recipes out and see how they go, but I haven't got off to a great start with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 9:05 PM GMT

Belle And Sebastien - The Complete First Series [1967] [DVD]
Belle And Sebastien - The Complete First Series [1967] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mehdi El Glaoui

3.0 out of 5 stars Good series, shame about the dubbing and no subtitles, 12 Dec. 2010
I ordered this for my kids but we were disappointed that the only options are either to watch it in the original French or dubbed into English - no subtitles option. My kids' French isn't good enough to watch it without subtitles, but we all hate things that have been dubbed as it's so unnatural seeing someone's mouth moving but hearing different words, so it really spoilt it for us. The listing on Amazon just says "Language: French" and doesn't mention subtitles (or the English dubbed version), so perhaps it's my fault for assuming, but it would be helpful if the listing made it a bit more clear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 3:15 PM BST

National Velvet [DVD] [1944] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
National Velvet [DVD] [1944] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic classic!, 13 Nov. 2010
I loved this film as a child, to the point that when I watched it again as an adult I could still remember all the dialogue! Highly recommended, especially for anyone who loves horses.
To all the people moaning that they've bought this only to discover that it won't play on their DVD player - read the description before you buy things!! It says quite clearly in several places that it is from North America and will only play on region 1-compatible DVD players so you've only got yourselves to blame if you wasted your money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2015 6:14 PM BST

Ripple Effect [DVD]
Ripple Effect [DVD]
Dvd ~ Forrest Whitaker
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Ripple Effect [DVD] (DVD)
This film is just dreadful - we gave up 45 minutes in as we couldn't take any more of the terrible script, poor acting and ridiculous storyline. I love films that make you think, and the synopsis made it sound like it was worth watching, but it just bored me. The characters were completely one-dimensional and I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them at all, and the storyline just dragged on and on, becoming more and more ridiculous by the minute.
Seriously, don't bother with this film, it's not worth your time!

Hi Gear Tibet 65+10L Travel Backpack
Hi Gear Tibet 65+10L Travel Backpack

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, 20 Aug. 2010
I bought this backpack earlier this year to replace my old one which was about 15 years old and was on its last legs. I regularly go camping without a car - we get the train/bus and then walk to our campsite, usually 2-3 miles, so I need a comfortable backpack that I can fit my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, clothes, cooking gear etc into or strap them to the outside.

Good points:
- plenty of places to attach things to the outside. Elasticated strap on the front which I usually use for my sleeping mat, straps on the top and bottom of the bag (I usually strap the tent to the bottom) and straps on the side that could be used for smaller things.
- two decent sized side pockets and two pockets in the lid of the bag (one inner, one outer). I can get my walking sandals into one of the side pockets if I'm taking them as well as boots.
- the main part of the bag can be divided in two or left as one large compartment by zipping or unzipping a fabric layer inside the bag. The bottom part of the main section is just the right size for my fairly large sleeping bag and can be accessed by zips at the base of the bag - very handy for when you arrive at a campsite and want to get your tent and sleeping gear set up without having to unpack the rest of the bag.
- the bag is reasonably comfy and easy enough to adjust the straps. It has a waist strap and chest strap as well as the shoulder straps.

Bad points:
- very flimsy zippers - the zips themselves are fine but the little tag you use to open them are a very poor design and 3 of mine broke after only using the bag a few times. Considering returning it to the shop as a result of this, as it makes the pockets very difficult to use.
- one of the shoulder straps has a little detachable pouch for a mobile which attaches with a clip and velcro. Useful idea, but unfortunately it's just in the wrong place and digs into my arm even when empty, and if you remove it the velcro on the strap scratches your arm as you walk.
- the rain cover packs away into the outer pocket on the lid of the bag rather than having its own separate pocket, which means that if you have the rain cover over your bag, the outer pocket can't be closed and therefore you can't put anything in it.
- the rain cover is large enough to go over the bag as long as you don't have anything strapped to the outside. As I always have a tent and sleeping mat strapped to the backpack, the rain cover isn't big enough to go over it all.

Overall this is a very decent backpack if you're on a tight budget, especially if you're only going to be using it occasionally, but there are a few annoying things which could be improved. The issue with the zips is the main problem, but if you're aware of this and are fairly careful with them then they might be OK. Other than this, the issues I've found are pretty minor - it's certainly the cheapest backpack of this size that I've seen around, and it's definitely worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3