Profile for Mr F. > Reviews

Organic Spirulina Powder 500g
Organic Spirulina Powder 500g
Offered by PINK SUN Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt taste bad!, 21 Feb. 2016
I've only just received this so I can't comment on the long term effects, but I just wanted to say that I'd never tried spirulina before and I was quite scared that it would taste awful, however it doesn't at all. I added a teaspoonful to a banana & strawberry smoothie, and other than turning it a hilariously vile colour, I wouldn't notice it was there. I even tsted a bit on its own and it was like something you might use as a seasoning in Japanese food...a bit seaweedy and definitely savoury, but not unpleasant.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Egyptian Cotton Fitted Sheet 200TC White (King Size)
Egyptian Cotton Fitted Sheet 200TC White (King Size)
Offered by INTELO

2.0 out of 5 stars Not soft at all, 15 Jan. 2016
Not impressed at all - despite supposedly being 100% combed Egyptian cotton with 400 thread count, these sheets felt no softer than cheap low thread count ones. They certainly aren't the quality I expected and will be going back for a refund.

Love Bake Nourish: Healthier cakes, bakes and puddings full of fruit and flavour
by Amber Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced these recipes have been tested..., 26 Aug. 2015
Before I start my review, I want to make it clear that I'm an experienced baker, regularly baking a variety of different things using a wide range of ingredients, and I don't generally have any issues with recipes not working. I was excited by this book as I like to use different types of flour and less common ingredients, however of the two cakes I've tried, both have been spectacularly disastrous despite following the recipes carefully. I first tried the chestnut cake, as I had some chestnut flour that I wanted to try - I was dubious about the large liquid to flour ratio, but the author does specifically say that the mixture will seem very runny and to trust her that it will turn out fine. Sadly the end result was a mess - given the small amount of flour I'd expected the result to be more like a torte than a cake, but in reality it was a sort of jellylike consistency that just tasted of sweet egg and really wasn't pleasant either in taste or texture. Today I tried the banana and cinnamon cake - again, there seemed to be a large amount of wet ingredients and given my experience with the chestnut cake, I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of coconut flour which soaks up liquid much better than conventional flours (knowing that if the recipe was in fact correct, the cake would potentially be too dry, but using my judgement to try and rescue what I thought could be another too-wet cake). Despite the addition of the coconut flour, the cake again turned out soggy in the middle despite cooking it for 1h20 with foil over it to prevent burning, rather than the 1hr given in the recipe.
I really want some of these recipes to work, but I'm apprehensive about trying any more of them given that a lot of the ingredients are pretty expensive, and that when I bake it's because I want a cake for a particular occasion so I need it to turn out OK. I'll probably try one or two more, but if they're no good then I'll be abandoning this book. Disappointing so far, but hopefully I've just had bad luck.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 25 July 2015
Very pleased with these - we used them with those flat square stoves and they're tall enough to read the top of the pans and long enough to go around 3 sides of the stove. They pack down small and come in a useful waterproof case, and make a huge difference to the efficiency of the stoves when it's at all windy, so you save on gas.

Kampa Burnham 4 tent
Kampa Burnham 4 tent
Offered by Camping International

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pleased, 25 July 2015
This review is from: Kampa Burnham 4 tent
We'd been looking for a 4 man tent with this layout and a sewn in groundsheet for over 2 years, and they didn't seem to exist, so we're pleased to have found this one.

It was easy enough for 2 of us to put up, and the tent was sturdy and solid despite it being very windy. The only issue was that when the wind blew, the outer was flapping against the inner at one end (fine at the other end). I think we probably just hadn't got the knack of getting the tent completely squared up so hopefully that will be resolved next time we use it. We managed to improve this by using the guyropes attached to the bottom of the window.

It was a very windy, rainy and not at all warm night, but the tent was too warm for us as we were in the several layers of clothing and 3 season sleeping bags that we'd always needed in our previous rather draughty tent! We'll definitely be leaving the windows unzipped and using thinner sleeping bags in future. The tent was draught-free and there were no leaks. Condensation didn't seem to be an issue even with 4 adults in there and the windows closed.

The tent has a generous amount of living space and the layout gives much more privacy than a tent with a single sleeping area. It's flexible in that when there is only 2 of us, we can just put up one sleeping compartment and have more living space. We could even not put up either of the sleeping compartments and keep the tent open-plan - we're intending to experiment with this and see how it goes.
We really loved the enormous windows in the living area - it meant that even when it was raining and all 4 of us were sitting in the living area with the doors shut, it was still light and felt open. The overhang above one door was very useful in preventing rain from running down it and coming into the tent when the door was opened.

The only minor improvements I can think of is that it'd be nice if one of the doors could be stretched out to act as a roof when sitting in the doorway cooking in the rain (both doors are D-shaped) and we were surprised that the net part and the door have to be unzipped/zipped up separately rather than them being zipped together so you can just open them in one go. This was unnecessarily faffy, especially if you get up when it's dark or if you come back in the rain and want to get in quickly, and we ended up just leaving the net part unzipped and rolling it back out of the way.

Overall we're very happy with this tent apart from the minor gripes above, and I'm looking forward to not having to sleep in 3 layers of clothing even in summer like I did in our old tent!

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon - Reviewed
Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon - Reviewed

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the novel, just an attempt to cash in!, 4 Aug. 2014
What a terrible attempt at cashing in through misleading customers into accidentally buying this instead of the actual book! Who would knowingly pay the price of a novel just to get a "review" of one??
Happily I didn't fall into this trap, but I'm sure many people will, which is why I'm leaving this review. The title is really misleading - at first glance it looks like you're buying the novel Written in my Own Heart's Blood which includes a review by this unknown person. Amazon, you should be ashamed for marketing this!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 8:05 PM BST

Living Language: French 2014 Box
Living Language: French 2014 Box
by Andrews McMeel
Edition: Calendar

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit random, 18 Feb. 2014
The daily phrases are a bit random - from the images shown with the description it looked quite good, but a lot of them are odd literary quotations taken out of context so they don't really make sense, or are just not very interesting. They're interspersed with the odd moment of excitement (6th January - "he sold his soul to the devil"!?) and some good idiomatic expressions, but are generally a bit dull. I'm a French teacher and thought this would be quite good to have on my desk as a talking point with a different phrase each day for my pupils to look at, but it hasn't really hit the spot.

FAUBOURG 36 - JACQUES PERRIN E
FAUBOURG 36 - JACQUES PERRIN E
Dvd ~ Gérard Jugnot
Offered by MEDIAZONE

4.0 out of 5 stars No English subtitles!, 18 Feb. 2014
I was surprised to find that this DVD is only in French with English subtitles - it wasn't a problem for me as I speak French, but I wanted to highlight this as I know it won't suit everyone and it wasn't clear from the description (no subtitles were mentioned at all, so perhaps it's my fault for assuming that DVDs sold on Amazon's UK site would have English subtitles).
I'd seen the film before and knew I liked it, so I'm looking forward to watching it again. Great for fans of films like Moulin Rouge or for anyone in love with Paris or the French music hall scene.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2015 1:07 PM BST

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 29 Dec. 2013
Dull, predictable, improbable and not remotely funny. By halfway through I was only bothering to continue reading in the hope that it might get better. It didn't. If you're a Bridget fan, you'll be disappointed. If you like chick-lit, you'll be disappointed. If you don't like either Bridget or chick-lit...well this will just confirm your opinions!

Divine Vegan Desserts: Over 100 Delectable Dairy- and Egg-free Recipes
Divine Vegan Desserts: Over 100 Delectable Dairy- and Egg-free Recipes
by Lisa Fabry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 27 Dec. 2012
I'm really impressed with this book, it has some fantastic recipes in it and is also extremely useful in that it gives recipes for basic things like caramel, custard, homemade soya cream etc that make it really easy to veganise non-vegan recipes from other books. I used the recipes for soya cream and caramel to veganise a recipe for chocolate & salted caramel tart and it went down a treat with vegans & non-vegans alike. I've also made the hazelnut & mocha mousse cupcakes (amazing!), the lime tart (unusual and delicious) and several batches of soya cream (who'd have known it was so easy to make soya milk into cream?!) which has saved me a fortune as it's pretty expensive to buy and not always available. Looking forward to making more things out of this book in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3