Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Gareth Russell" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
COLT� HQ Stylus Pen with Headphone Clip - for Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, Nokia Smartphones, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Google, Blackberry, LG, Sony Ericsson Smartphones and all other touchscreen tablets - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, cheap stylus!, 30 May 2012
It works how you'd expect it to. It's comfortable. And the price is incredible. In fact, it's cheaper than going to a high st retailer and buying a pen. At this price you won't mind replacing it in 3 months if it breaks - although I don't expect it to.

Highly Recommended

War
War

5.0 out of 5 stars 'War' sucks you in from the first page and keeps you there right up until the last., 23 May 2012
This review is from: War (Kindle Edition)
'War' sucks you in from the first page and keeps you there right up until the last. Junger is not concerned in his writing with the larger picture of the war in Afghanistan, instead he's focused on a small platoon of soldiers. He writes first hand from the intense fighting in the Korengal Valley and looks at what makes these men, fight and die.

This is a book about the US Army, so there will always be an American slant on life and culture. A great British equivalent of this would be The Junior Officer's Reading Club - although that is from an Army Officers perspective and not a journalist.

That said, this book comes highly recommended.

No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan

2.0 out of 5 stars Afghanistan is the new Vietnam, 23 May 2012
The working thesis of this book is: Afghanistan is the new Vietnam, and those who are involved in the war are either incompetent, or purposefully incompetent. And only the author has the penetrating insight to see this. To prove this Ben Anderson goes to see the British fighting badly and then to visit the Americans, also struggling.

When Ben stops pursuing his new-Vietnam thesis and concentrates on describing the events and combat, his writing is thrilling and crystal clear. It's just such a shame that he refuses to move beyond his new-Vietnam thesis, even to offer possible better moves ahead.

If you want to read one book on the war in Afghanistan, this is not the book to read.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 11:54 AM BST

From Age to Age
From Age to Age

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I'd expect from Sovereign Grace Music, 23 May 2012
This review is from: From Age to Age (MP3 Download)
I've had this album for a month or so now. I'm a long time fan of Sovereign Grace Music and was eagerly awaiting this album. However, I can't help feeling a little disappointed by this latest effort.

The lyrics of the songs are good. But unlike previous albums, there are no stand out tracks. There's no "We will rise" from Risen, or "I Have a Shelter in the Storm". Instead we have a collection of tracks that sound too similar and more like a collection of B sides than a single coherent album.

If you love Sovereign Grace Music - and already have other albums of theirs - then pick this up. There will be stuff here for you to enjoy and to deepen your love for Christ. If however, you've never really heard much of Sovereign Grace Music before, let me point you to some of their other albums such as: Risen, Come Weary Saints or the recent live album The Gathering.

Risen
Risen

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the resurrection!, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Risen (MP3 Download)
Risen has a strong theme, connecting each and every song: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

My favourite tracks include - We Will Rise - a song that takes 1 Thessalonians 4 as its cue and encourages believers to remember that because Jesus was raised from the dead, believers will be resurrected at the second coming. 'You Have Been Raised' starts by asking, "How do you know that you've been forgiven?" among others and points to the resurrection of Jesus as the answer.

The tunes are great. The lyrics are thoroughly Christ-centred and help us to live out our faith in this world.

I can't recommend this album highly enough.

Philips Power Alkaline Battery LR03P24F - non-rechargeable batteries (Alkaline, AAA, 120 x 43 x 23 mm, Red)
Offered by KG Homewares

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but with little staying power., 19 May 2012
I bought these batteries thinking they were at an amazing price, which they are. However the performance of them really is not great. I've been using them in a wireless headset and I'm lucky if I get 6 hours usage out of a pair, instead of say, 12 hours with a normal Duracel AAA.

But then again, you do get a lot of them.

I'm torn. They're cheap. Just don't expect 'em to last.

Active Pro - Compact Car Holder / Mount for Mobile Phones, MP3 / MP4 Player and Sat Navs - Works with Apple iPhone, HTC, Samsung Galaxy etc. Mobile Phones - 360 Degree Rotation - Pocket Size - AAA Products
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iPhone holder for the price, 15 May 2012
This came in some rather generic cheesy packaging and I was a little dubious about the quality of the product within.

However after a good day of using the car phone holder with an iPhone as a satnav, I'm pretty impressed. It attached nicely to the front screen of a Mk. VI Golf and stayed firmly in position all day long. The holder was easy to move into the desired angle too.

I was using an iPhone 4S, and only needed to pull apart the claws that hold the phone slightly to fit it inside. The phone stayed in a stable position and never looked like it was going to fall out.

An excellent purchase for the price.

Belkin Leather Folio Case  for iPod touch (2nd Generation) - Black
Belkin Leather Folio Case for iPod touch (2nd Generation) - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Great quality case, with an awful design flaw., 9 April 2009
I just received this case in the post. It took a little while more than I would like for it to be shipped from Indigo Starfish, which is a shame.

My first impressions upon opening the box were excellent. The case looks great. It smells great! The case is soft on the inside, sturdy and padded on the outside which should really protect my second generation iPod touch in minor falls on my hard floor.

The case comes with a plastic screen cover to stick on the screen. I was pleased with this as it meant I wouldn't have to buy a screen protector separately.

I slipped my iPod into the case and was impressed at the snug fit.

Then I tried to plug in my official Apple iPhone ear buds and ran into severe problems! The material that keeps the iPod in the case, partly covers the earplug socket! Which makes it virtually impossible to plug in the earbuds. This is simply inexcusable.

I've had to turn the iPod round the other way in the case to listen with my earbuds, but this then covers up the volume controls and brings the home button out from the case.

This is poor.

I'm tempted to get a refund.

Great quality case, excellent price, poor execution.

Apple iPod USB Power Adapter
Apple iPod USB Power Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, small iPod USB power adapter, 6 April 2009
This iPod USB power adapter has a great build quality to it. The UK plug adapter just clips on to the unit, and can be unclipped to be replaced by a different adapter.

The unit is surprisingly small and the build quality is excellent.

I ordered direct from Amazon rather than a third party, and was surprised at how quickly I received mine. I ordered Saturday afternoon (approx 16:00) and received it the following Monday (I reside in London).

Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church (Leadership Network Innovation Series) (The Leadership Network Innovation Series)
by Mark Driscoll

4.0 out of 5 stars Confessions, 26 Oct. 2006
Mark Driscoll is a sinner. A sinner that God has used in one of the least Christian cities of America to bring glory to his name by founding and leading a church, Mars Hill. Driscoll's latest book is Confessions of a Reformission Rev, the story of how he led the church from its humble beginnings to where it is today, there are much better reviews of this book available in the blogosphere from, far more discerning men than I and I encourage you to read them. Tim kindly lent this book to me and I felt that I'd like to offer some thoughts about this book.

Confessions is an exciting read and one that is hard to put down. It is brutally honest about leading a church in a post-modern culture and dispels any image that one might have that leading a church is an easy, almost romantic duty. From what Mark Driscoll depicts, it is anything but easy or romantic and I for one am not the sort of man who could manage such a task. In the short ten-year history of Mars Hill, Driscoll has variously faced: post-modern craziness, dreadful worship leaders, eviction from the church buildings, marital issues, demonic attacks, tambourine wielding charismatics and preaching through the Song of Songs. Yet by the grace of God he has survived such trials and brought the Gospel of love and freedom to the many `unreachable' of Seattle.

Throughout Confessions you cannot fail but to see how much Driscoll loves Jesus and how much it pains him when those around him either reject Jesus or detract from his glory. It is also clear that Mark is a sinner, like I am a sinner and it is truly remarkable how God has used him despite his shortcomings.

Reading Confessions has certainly deepened my respect for Driscoll and that said I do have some concerns about Driscoll. Firstly Driscoll places a lot of emphasis on church growth and numbers in the congregation. He backs this up by saying that churches that aren't growing or seeking to grow are sinning by stifling their evangelistic efforts. I don't agree, I think that there comes a point at which a church should split and plant other churches for the work of the gospel before it becomes too big that it stifles the love and community that a church should provide, all whilst not stumbling on its commitment to evangelism.

I also feel that Driscoll's image of what masculinity is too crude. He advocates men as being individuals who should be able to skin an animal with their teeth.If they can't? Well they're written off as girly men. Men unfit to lead in the church. By Driscoll's definition, I must be a girly man but I certainly object to this!

All said I enjoyed reading Confessions and would recommend it to someone interested in the workings of a church and how a church should relate to the culture around it. I would be hesitant to recommend it to most students however, as whilst it is an enjoyable read, I figure that there are much more useful and relevant books that they could be reading such as Contending for Our All by John Piper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4