Profile for R. D. Robson > Reviews

Content by R. D. Robson

R. D. Robson "Alpha Male" (County Durham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ossenberg Yellow Classic Pair of Anatomic Soft Grip Open Cuff Forearm Crutches
Ossenberg Yellow Classic Pair of Anatomic Soft Grip Open Cuff Forearm Crutches
Offered by Mobility Choices

4.0 out of 5 stars More walking aids than legs, 1 Aug. 2017
As I'm already an owner of Ossenberg closed cuff elbow crutches, I decided to buy a pair of Ossenberg open cuff crutches to use indoors, one upstairs and one downstairs as an 'upgrade' to my old NHS crutches and walking sticks.

Having been mightily impressed with the extremely silent, 'stealth' Ossenberg closed cuff crutches I'm somewhat disappointed with the open cuff type as both creak while I’m using them and have been doing so since day one.

The creaking isn't very loud, just annoying!

When compared to my old clunking NHS crutches and sticks they are still quiet. However, I long ago became so used to their noise that I no longer notice it these days, so I'm hoping I will soon become 'immune' to the noise of these crutches too.

Considering they cost approximately 60% of the price of my closed cuff Ossenberg crutches, I’m hoping they will at least last the distance without something going wrong with them.

As I am left-handed, for many years I found it more convenient while walking about indoors to use an elbow crutch in my right-hand to help bear the majority of my weight, and a walking stick in my left-hand to help me maintain my balance, and also because I can easily transfer the stick to my right hand whenever I needed to do something.

Unfortunately in recent times I’ve been suffering with extreme pain in my left arm, from my neck and shoulder all the way down to my wrist. The pain in my left elbow feels very similar to, but is far worse to the pain I experienced over 30 years ago when I had “Tennis Elbow” for a number of months. Any reader who has experienced “Tennis Elbow” will know where I’m coming from. Those readers who haven’t experienced it, think yourself very lucky indeed. It is horrible!!!

I suspect this pain has been caused by the lesser support given by the walking sticks and also because they allow extra sideways movement at my elbow.

Since crutches restrict that sideways movement in my elbows and as it is also giving me extra support for the past month or so, I have noticed a slight reduction in this horrible, aching pain - well both the crutch and the extra Morphine my GP has prescribed are helping me.

So I’m hoping the pain will further reduce to a manageable level over the coming months. Of course the open cuff is still allowing me to easily transfer it to my right hand whenever I need to use my left hand to do something.

Due to only being able to source Ossenberg crutches in the UK with anatomical grips, this means I cannot use either crutch in either hand, so now I wish I had bought two left handed crutches directly from the supplier. This is because when I use my crutches upstairs, I’m forced to use the open cuff crutch in my right hand with a close-cuff crutch in my left hand. Those anatomical grips have a lot to answer for.

Of course I'm still getting used to these open cuff crutches as it’s a fact that they will definitely fall to ground if I take my hand off the grip, which obviously doesn’t happened with closed cuff types.

DigiFunk® - Cobblestone WiFi Audio AirPlay Receiver Wireless Music - Multi-Room Sync - Spotify Connect, Tidal, TuneInRadio, iHeartRadio Supported - Touch Buttons - Easy WPS Setup - RJ45 LAN Connection
Offered by DigiFunk

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky Cobblestone, 26 Oct. 2016
I bought the Cobblestone as a change to the KitSound Links which I returned due to being unable to control them with the required app.

The Cobblestone is a solidly built devise which design may not be to everyone's liking as it mimics a stone, a cobblestone.

However, unlike the Links everything about the cobblestone exudes luxury. Even the presentation box exudes luxury.
But unlike the Links it immediately synced to my wi-fi which it does through the control app making it a piece of cake to get it up and running.

Unfortunately, though the control app works with my iPad, it stays in portrait view only so I either have to work it with my iPad standing up which is impossible with its power cable plugged in or I have to twist my head to one side to look to operate it.

Unfortunately there's no digital audio socket to connect it to an amplifier which is why it's a 4, and not a 5 star rating!

Due to too many problems in finding good, quiet, working speakers, I have since passed this Cobblestone on to a sibling after he showed a lot of interest in it as an early Christmas present. Hopefully my brother will have less problems than I in finding a suitable stereo speaker to connect to it and start listening to his music collection. At least he can visit venues to audition whatever speaker he would like to buy which is something I can no longer do. I have to read reviews and hope for the best that they are genuine. Sadly that isn't always the case.

Pure Jongo A2 Wireless Hi-Fi Adapter with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - Black
Pure Jongo A2 Wireless Hi-Fi Adapter with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - Black
Offered by SmartSalesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars A mini masterpiece at a miniscule price and I love 'em!, 25 Oct. 2016
I bought two of these Jongo A2 adapters, mostly because they are so cheap, They allow me to stream music from my NAS to my old, but fantastically sounding amplifier and passive speakers via Bluetooth.

The other Jongo A2 is in my bedroom, connected to my TV so I can listen to music streamed to it via Bluetooth or I can listen to music directly from my iPad when in bed.

I was slightly worried after reading so many negative reviews from people, stating they would not connect to their wi-fi networks. I had no such problems with mine. They sync immediately, though I did have to reset one of them as it had been synced to someone else's network before it was returned to Amazon who reissued it to me.

These Jongo's have a brilliant build, a lovely, solid feel to them and they look brilliant too. Dare I say a masterpiece of design!

The reason why I have given it 4 stars and not 5 is because they use the very ancient G protocol wireless technology which was greatly surpassed by N technology many years ago. Now it's ac! Please keep up PURE!!

The PURE control app works OK with my iPad and on an old android Asus Transformer tablet I bought many years ago but which is more or less obsolete these days. I can listen to international radio stations and as I said earlier, music off my NAS.

I'm in two minds whether to buy any Jongo speakers as many people hate them, though many hated these A2's too but at least they work.

However, I may well wait to see if Qualcomm can get their AllPlay streaming technology working and selling in great numbers with major companies climbing on board with them which will mean that items from differing manufacturers will work with one another. Just mix and match like the good old days!!!

KitSound Link Multiroom Audio Wireless Enabler with Allplay and Spotify Connect for iOS, Android and PC - Black
Offered by Dealberry.

2.0 out of 5 stars The reason for this I found is that their stupid control app only works on smart phones from Apple ..., 25 Oct. 2016
When I was looking into buying the necessary equipment to stream music around my home I came across KitSound and their Link. They were given 5 stars by those who had bought them previously so I bought two of them. When they arrived I noticed both boxes had had their security seals broken so that told me they had been returned to Amazon who then reissued them to me.

As this happens so frequently I automatically expect this.

Anyway I had both Links quickly sync to my wi-fi network in next to no time and only had to wait for the KitSound Cayman speakers to arrive.

Once the speakers arrived a few days later, I found only then that I was unable to operate the link to stream music to these speakers. The reason for this I found is that their stupid control app only works on smart phones from Apple and android of course. As I'm housebound due to poor health I do not own a smart phone. I do not have a need for a smart phone as I have a landline telephone in every room with an old fashion BT phone as backup in case of power failures.

I do however own an iPad but guess what? Their app does NOT work with iPads and I'm guessing with no other tablet either.

iPhone YES, iPad NO!

What a ridiculous situation. Oh and it opens in portrait view only by the way because it's for smart phones only. It will not turn to landscape view. When you first open it to find and connect to the link and therefore the speakers for the very first time it refuses to go any further because it's for smart phones only.

No mention of this anywhere at all. Not even on their website. It wasn't until I read someone's blog about his disappointment that my suspicions were confirmed. So more gear got sent back.

Perhaps manufacturers should supply all of the relative information so would-be buyers would know exactly what they were buying.

Oh by the way, these links have a very cheap and nasty feel to them but I guess they don't need to be brilliantly built as long as they work. But they should work for many years to come which I have my doubts with these links.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2016 12:47 PM GMT

KitSound Cayman 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System with iPhone, iPad, Samsung and Android Devices - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars KitSound? Noise sound more like!, 25 Oct. 2016
I really wanted to like these speakers, I really did.

Unfortunately, apart from them being far too heavy for me to move easily into place as I'm disabled, I could only get them to connect to my computer and iPad via Bluetooth. And when they were connected via Bluetooth they proved to be extremely noisy, especially while waiting for audio to start streaming. Even when music was streaming, on quiet passages they still proved to be too noisy to continue listening to them. I want to listen to music not interference!

I then connected one directly to my amplifier's aux input with passive speakers connected to it, via a 3.5mm phono to RCA cable but the noise proved greater. There was no alternative but to disconnect, clean, repackage and return them.

Musaic MP5 - Wireless Smart Speaker for Multi-Room Music Streaming - Black/Silver
Offered by TPS1996

4.0 out of 5 stars No music through my Musaic, 25 Oct. 2016
I have bought a number of audio streaming devices, some of which I have successfully synced even though many people posted on Amazon that they found it impossible to. However, out of all of the speakers I have tried, this speaker was the best sounding of all when connected via Bluetooth.

ZERO noise interference while waiting between songs or during low volume sections, such as you get when listening to classical music or radio dramas.

Unfortunately, I had to return it as nothing I did would make it sync with my wi-fi network So I'm unable to judge how good it may have sounded had I been able to connect it.

I may buy another next year and give it a second chance, especially if the price is lowered as the sound quality really is that good via Bluetooth which is why I still give it 4 stars. But at nearly £280, it is a very expensive way to listen to highly compressed music files.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewer's little helper, 17 Oct. 2016
I bought two of these Jean-A-Ma-Jig as stocking fillers for two people close to me for the fast approaching Christmas, so I guess it'll be the recipients who would be in a better position to review them when they finally start using them sometime after Christmas 2016.
However, having read many reviews from satisfied American sewers, I believe my friends will love their little 'jig' too.

Bodymould Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Cover, 4 inch - UK Double
Bodymould Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Cover, 4 inch - UK Double

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping like the dead!, 11 Oct. 2012
After buying some memory foam off-cuts for my dogs' baskets and seeing how much they now love sleeping in their beds at night, I decided that it was time to treat myself to a memory foam mattress topper.

I picked this particular topper because at the time of my order, this excellent marketplace seller was the only one that I could find on Amazon that was supplying this 4" thick topper.

Like most people who have purchased a memory foam mattress/topper, my reasons have also included ill health which has left me with extreme muscular atrophy which means that I feel every anomaly of my original luxury firm mattress. This topper has eradicated about 95% of my sleeping problems.

Personally, I love the slight extra-warmth that I feel whilst lying in bed now and for me it's an added bonus when I become "trapped" in a comfortable sleeping position. When this happens, my unconscious movements in bed are somewhat curtailed thus reducing the massive pain that courses through my body, thus waking me up.

There's a very slight disadvantage for me as its extra height was making it more difficult for me to climb into bed. Thankfully, that was solved by using a portable Derby half-step next my bed.

However, the extra height of my bed also makes it easier for me to stand up when I'm getting out of bed, provided I do so away from the step.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase and would recommend both this product and seller for those who have not quite made up their minds yet.

One extra recommendation that I would make for people who are buying a new mattress/topper and that is to buy a waterproof mattress protector. There are some really good protectors available and it is better to be "safe than sorry!"

LINDY Individually Switched 6 Way UK Mains Power Strip White 2m
LINDY Individually Switched 6 Way UK Mains Power Strip White 2m

3.0 out of 5 stars The price of disappointment., 8 Oct. 2012
Over the years I've bought various items supplied by Lindy and available from Amazon. Each of these items have always proved to be of excellent quality and work without any problems.

I've been after some individually switched power strips to use with my Belkin surge protectors for quite sometime. Unfortunately, most of these switched power strips are made from cheap materials, thus resulting in poor quality products which of course is usually the result of buying cheap products in the first place.

When I saw these Lindy power strips on Amazon, my first thought was that their price of £15+ each was rather steep. My second thought was for that price, it should prove to be a superior product and should not fail.

So I selected four of them after seeing the usual message on Amazon which goes something like this; "Only four in stock. More coming soon, better order now." Before committing my order the message then stated, not enough in stock, so I reduced my quantity to one and would buy more later. (I would like at least 8!)

When it arrived, I plugged my IT equipment into it and then plugged it into one of my Belkin surge protectors and booted my equipment.

After finishing for the day, and closing down my equipment, I wanted to switch off the power to each item for safety reasons, leaving other equipment such as my NAS and telephone on. That's when this Lindy item failed. Two of its switches locked on and would not switch off, just like those cheaper power strips do at times. So I had to pull the plugs out.

The next day, and with some effort, both switches did finally move to the off position but they are still 'ropey'.

If I wanted switches like this, I'd spend a fiver on it. I'll NOT be buying any more.

Icy Box IB-120CL-U3 2-Bay Docking and Clone Station with JBOD Function for 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch SATA HDDs to USB 3.0 Host

4.0 out of 5 stars Please improve this HDD toaster, 6 Oct. 2012
I've said this before but it needs saying again and again; if you value the data on your computer's hard drive and/or LAN, then you must backup, backup, BACKUP!

I have two ReadyNAS' doing nightly incremental backups, one NAS to another but even the destination NAS needs backing up too.

So I bought this Icy Box 2-bay JBOD HDD 'toaster' as a multi-functioning device to do these backup jobs which it does very quickly by utilising the USB 3.0 interface which my latest 'too cheap to miss out on' NV+ v2 has on its backplate.

I have also used this HDD 'toaster' plugged into my iMac's USB 2.0 port so I can vouch that it is definitely backward compatible. Using it this way with two hard drives plugged in, it shows them as two separate drives on the desktop. I can then drag/drop files between them or clone hard drives using cloning software.

However, when I tried cloning one drive directly to another drive, bypassing my computer, the resulting cloned drive was left with so many software errors when I checked it with Disk Utility that I had to erase it and went back using SuperDuper!

This individual HDD 'toaster' may have been at fault regarding that cloning attempt as it did prove to be problematic anyway.

One morning after completing an overnight backup of my ReadyNAS NV+ v2, when I unplugged the HDD, I found that the plastic 'letterbox' hinged cover had fallen into the HDD slot along with its very small metal hinge spring. I had to switch off its power supply to remove the cover and spring but I was not prepared to risk any hard drive to see if it still worked. I found that one of the hinges of the cover plate, which is smaller than the diameter of a matchstick had snapped off. A definite weak point I would say.

I was unlucky to find that Amazon's 30 days returns policy had just expired on this item too, though that didn't stop me from contacting them to tell them what had happened. As this unit is an electrical component, they replaced it 'like for like' for free.

Though I have criticised Amazon in the past, when they get things right, they are amongst the top 5% of trusted companies to buy from online. They certainly got it right in this case and even went out of their way to help me by arranging for the faulty unit to be picked up directly from my address. FANTASTIC!

To date my new 'toaster' is working perfectly though now of course, I thoroughly check it every time I use it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5