Profile for Bobby Moon > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Illustrated Fluteplaying 3rd Revised Edition
Illustrated Fluteplaying 3rd Revised Edition
by Robin Soldan

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are starting or have been playing for some time this is a great book to have, 4 Nov. 2012
I got my copy years back and still find the illustrations and the whole book insightful and useful for the novice to the more experienced flute player. Both authors worked hard to get it right, from the posture to the blowing technique which I find fascinating.

The Routledge Dance Studies Reader
The Routledge Dance Studies Reader
by Alexandra Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars the second edition is very good, 18 Sept. 2012
This book is worth the time and effort you need to get into it. Some of the chapters are really top-notch and something no dance studies reader should go without. Grit your teeth and get in there you will be surprised.

Women Who Think Too Much: How to break free of overthinking and reclaim your life
by Susan Nolen-Hoeksema

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good book, 18 Sept. 2012
I snatched a look at this book when staying with a friend. Some of it really resonated, other parts did not - but that is the point. I have friends who literally over think all day long, fortunately I don't but there are still some hidden aspects to the way I live my life that this book revealed. Some of the advise given is very useful, there are some great and simple exercises. Though I imagine most women reading it will find it hard to actually find the time to apply themselves - but you have to - to get out of the habits you have to love yourself more than others and get in there and do it.

The History of Sexuality: The Will to Knowledge: The Will to Knowledge v. 1
The History of Sexuality: The Will to Knowledge: The Will to Knowledge v. 1
by Michel Foucault

4.0 out of 5 stars An accessible read and a noteworthy read too, 20 Aug. 2012
This book and the second volume are worth looking at for most social science students and students in related disciplines. Foucault's deconstructionist perspective is incredibly well written and logically mapped out in this text. I'm not going to go into the content but this will open your eyes to the historical narratives that have led us to this point in time concerning sex, sexuality and gender roles in society.

The Healthy Diet Calorie Counter: Includes the Unique Quality Calorie Guide Proteins, Fats and Carbohydrates, Vitamins, Minerals and Trace Elements
by Kirsten Hartvig

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a low fat enthusiast but I am learning to take note of calorie consumption, 20 Aug. 2012
This book is worth a read, I had no idea how many calories were in dates for example. I have decided to get my weight fluctations under control and following a calorie control diet (one that does includes fats) and of course the required calories burn at the gym is the way forward. Rather than troll through the damn internet and find a page or two that helps I have decided to get a book that I can neatly put into my handbag, by my desk and where ever else I might be using it. This is a smart book, I am also concerned about carbohydrate levels, so this book also gives me a measure of the carb content of food stuff. Am very pleased with my purchase and feel a whole lot more motivated to make it happen for me.

Vogue E401 Plain Plastic Scraper
Vogue E401 Plain Plastic Scraper
Offered by Revelation At Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cool piece of kitchen and bread making equipment, 17 Aug. 2012
Love this kidney, used to use these things for ceramics clay pot making - it takes me back. I have to say the dispatch was quick and the actual item excellent quality. It is subtly crafted with an edge for you to hold a curved blade for use. I would highly recommend this product for the bread bakers out there and this seller, very good service.

100 Great Breads: The Original Bestseller
100 Great Breads: The Original Bestseller
by Paul Hollywood

3.0 out of 5 stars Relatively good book though a bit disappointed, 17 Aug. 2012
Like the poor review given here, I do agree that I feel slightly cheated. Eventhough this book catelogues some excellent and unusal breads, quite of few of which are Cypriot in origin. The book generally misses out on the top tips and the insider knowledge which is what you buy a book like this for. I make bread and have started to come across techniques and "issues" that I feel I can only get from either attending a class or a book like this. It is an excellently presented book, and Hollywoods simply stated introductions are great - I don't like too much in the flamboyant this is bread is going to change your world - type of thing. But again I must reiterate was expecting more of a Master class in bread baking. I will have to find another solution as I continue making my bread.

Always Look After Number Two! Discover the Secrets of Colonic Irrigation, Perfect Bowel Movements and Digestive Health
by Galina Imrie

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a good, well paced read, 2 Aug. 2012
I enjoyed reading this book, it is basic and I can follow it though I would have preferred more detailed analysis and work. For example there are no diagrams actually showing you the best possible position etc for conducting the colonic etc. Some of the very practical bare-bones of the subject were missed out. Though the writing style was very approachable, fun, straight to the point and illustrative of the points needed for anyone attempting a colonic.

Woman, Church and State: The Original Expose of Male Collaboration Against the Female Sex
by Matilda Joselyn Gage

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 years old and A-Mazing, 9 July 2012
Daly introduced me to Matilda in her last publication Amazon Grace, another good read. Here you can read Matilda's words, and as the other reviewer notes there are some annoying typo issues, but appart from this mild distraction you get a real sense of what immense power, foresight and fortitude this woman had during her time. Without doubt a classic and reading around the subject of Matilda Joselyn Gage it is clear her views on female sufferage were really way before her time. The fact that she pin-points both the State and the Church as two powerful institutions and mechanisms from which patriarchal power, imagery and deadend lies are produced and reproduced at the expense of women is a significant stance during the late 19th century. She was brave, and this text is very illuminating, if not harrowing to read. And still this continues, fundamentalist Christianity is the most dangerous and evil mechanism that has gains sigificant power during the GW Bush years and have spent countless millions opposing and obstructing Obama. These days the institution of the banks and corporations are where this "real" evil resides. I wonder what Gage would have said for the late 20th early 21st century. The fact that there exists the expression "The Matilda effect" which means when an individuals contribution to science and other disciplines is over looked due to their gender, says it all.

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall

4.0 out of 5 stars I've been bare-foot running on the gym treadmill, 9 July 2012
I've been bare foot running at the gym and a friend suggested I read this. I have also gotten those five-fingered shoes to run with and they make all the difference. The fact that bare-foot running changes your foot-fall from heel to toe to toe to heel and then eventually across the heel, sides of the feet to the front reminds me of the dance technique you learn at the early stages of understanding the mechanism of weight shift and how to effectively and gracefully use your body in constant motion. A good read, though as some people have pointed out the other book which details methods and ways of getting the most out of bare-foot running (which is a bit more expensive) is probably a better read. This is more a Zen of Barefoot running book which tunes you into the psycho-spiritual and physical-at-one-ness of running barefoot.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20