Profile for Jeremy Colton > Reviews

Content by Jeremy Colton

Jeremy Colton "Biology does not have all the answers but, answers that ignore biology are wrong" (Granite City, IL United States)

I am What I am: The True Story of Britain's Most Notorious Jewel Thief
I am What I am: The True Story of Britain's Most Notorious Jewel Thief
by Joan Hannington

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 25 Aug. 2008
Sometimes it's fun to read something outside of one's usual genres. Do I know if she's telling the truth? Probably not. Is she sugar coating it to make herself look better? Probably! I mean, what would you expect from a professional criminal? But so what. I read Hannington's book at least a year ago and it's one of those that still bounces around in my head. I recommend it for anyone who likes being transported to an alien (but real) world.

Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)
Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)
by Tom Vanderbilt

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fascinating, 25 Aug. 2008
As a typical American who drives to work, traffic is a huge part of my life. Why we do what we do (road rage; careless driving; passive-aggressive driving) has fascinated me for years. Vanderbilt is a journalist who went to the experts rather than trying to answer the questions himself. Some of the answers go all the way back to our evolution. Some answers seem intuitively right, if difficult to prove; many seem counter-intuitive, and some have no answers yet.

What puts this book above and beyond what I ordinarily read is how useful it is. I honestly feel I'm a safer driver for having read it and may live longer to read more great books from these insights. I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who cycles, walks in the vicinity of cars, or drives.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2008 11:38 PM BST