Profile for C. Grainger > Reviews

Content by C. Grainger

C. Grainger (England)

Fifty Nifty Rubber Stamping Projects: A 'how to' guide with step-by-step instructions
by Mrs Amanda C Bartlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of inspiration for rubber stamping, 27 Nov. 2014
Last year, I received Amanda’s first book “Fifty Shades of Rubber Stamping” for my birthday and was absolutely delighted. So when I received “Fifty Nifty Rubber Stamping Projects” for my birthday this year, I couldn’t wait to get started!

Like the previous book, this one describes lots of techniques that you can use with rubber stamping (for beginners and more experienced crafters like me). Each project is an example of what you could make using each technique. It doesn’t matter if any particular project is not to your taste, because you can use the technique described with your own stash of craft items to produce your own personalised projects.

I loved the idea of stamping and colouring a design and then overlaying it with the same design stamped on acetate and reversed. I used the technique with my own stamps and produced some lovely results. Now I think I may try overlaying with a different image stamped on the acetate. Then what shall I try? Stamping on a recycled book page or using coloured tissue paper as a background? Or maybe using bleach for a snowy effect?

Labgear LDU608G 8 Way Home Distribution Unit for Sky+
Labgear LDU608G 8 Way Home Distribution Unit for Sky+

4.0 out of 5 stars Product does exactly what I want, but the Labgear website technical support could be improved., 2 April 2014
I bought this product as a straight replacement for my Labgear HDU/681S, which failed after 5 years service - I suspect due to a severe lightning storm directly overhead. It does the job very well and I would have given it 5 stars, if it had been easier to set up (see below).

I am recounting my experience as it may be useful to others and save them time. My requirements are to distribute the following to multiple flatscreen TV (22" - 26") sets spread around a fairly large 1960s house that has a mixture of old coax and more modern satellite grade cable depending on when the aerial points were installed.
1) Freeview
2) Analogue CCTV
3) Virgin Tivo (connected to the Uplink In socket on the Labgear unit).

As the Tivo box downstairs only has hdmi and Scart outputs I use a Triax tri-link kit to convert the Tivo scart to an analogue signal which is connected to the Labgear unit in the loft via the uplink. The labgear unit switch has to be set to UHF/CCTV in my scenario. Bearing in mind that the LDU608G and HDU681S have identical connections I thought it would be a simple process to just swap over my existing cables. It was, but the uplink on the new LDU608G unit refused to work. I am not an electrical expert, and after wasting hours checking all aspects of my system (so as not to appear an idiot!) I phoned the Labgear helpline, which was answered promptly by a very helpful technician who immediately diagnosed the problem. Because of 4G interference, the unit screens out certain channels, numbers 60+. Once I had changed the output from my Triax unit from channel 68 to channel 51 the uplink worked perfectly - why oh why couldn't this have been made clear in the instructions!

It is worth experimenting with different channel numbers to get the clearest picture. Obviously, the Tivo picture via the uplink is not as good as hdmi, and probably wouldn't be great for watching sport on a really large screen, but it is perfectly adequate for general tv watching and saves renting additional set top boxes. My Freeview picture quality via this unit is very good.

I can't comment on the satellite or IR digilink capabilities of this unit as I don't use them. Instead, I have opted for the stand alone Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender to control the Tivo box using remote controls in other rooms.

Overall I would have no hesitation recommending the Labgear LDU 608G as a cost effective solution to distribute cable tv pictures. However, now that we live in the era of Wifi enabled smart TVs, I long for the day when someone creates a distrbution box / central home server (at a reasonable cost) that will do all this stuff wirelessly. I suspect that the content providers are making this as difficult as possible as they want us to rent multiple cable / satellite boxes.

Fifty Shades of Rubber Stamping: A 'how-to' guide with step-by-step instructions
by Mrs Amanda C Bartlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of inspiring ideas, 27 Nov. 2013
I'm a keen crafter and my daughter gave me this book for my birthday. I was absolutely delighted - it's full of imaginative ideas and techniques.

It's amazing how many different and stunning ways you can use rubber stamps, many of which I'd never come across before. I have now been inspired to get creative and try out lots of new projects.

I particularly enjoy cardmaking but these techniques can equally be applied to lots of other crafts too.

Great for beginners or more experienced crafters alike.

BLACK nylon camera bag case for SAMSUNG WB250F ST150F WB30F WB800F DV150F DV151F WB850F WB150 WB700 WB750 ST6500 WB690 EX1 WB600 WB650 WB610 ST5000 ST5500 ST600 WB200 WB35 WB50 ST72 WB350 DV150
Offered by Accessories4U-1212

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value. Does the job well., 4 Jan. 2013
The case is a good fit for the Samsung WB 750, but not too snug to be difficult. I like the zip pockets for storing a spare battery and SD cards. I can also fit in a USB / SD adapter stick and a micro USB / USB adapter cable. I mention this because it enables me to transfer files from the SD card direct to my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, which means I can email pictures or post to facebook whilst out.
It's not the best quality case you will ever find, but it is perfectly adequate. It is half the price of anything I saw on the high street and none of them had the useful pockets. The shoulder strap feels a little lightweight, but I don't use it so it is not a problem to me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector: for iPhone 4 & 4S [Front & Back], 26 April 2012
Excellent product delivered really quickly. Feels quality - the other reviews don't lie. A touch phone is a tactile experience and shouldn't be ruined by using a cheap alternative screen protector. Take the time to fit it properly in accordance with the instructions and you won't regret it. Will certainly use Expert Shield again.

Vikuiti DQC-160 Screen Protector for HTC Desire, Protective Film, 100% fits, Display Protection Film

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Expensive but worth it, 11 Dec. 2010
This protector is still excellent after 8 months use. No peeling edges or bubbles and not aware that it is there. A £400 touchscreen phone is a tactile experience to be enjoyed, don't ruin it with a cheap protector. I use my phone in a gel case so the screen is exposed and I avoided any scratches at all for many months until I put in a pocket with my keys a few times. Even now I only have a few very slight scratches on the protector that I barely notice. When fitting, make sure that you are in good light in a dust free environment on a firm surface. Don't rush it. Use a computer or spectacle wipe to get your phone absolutely clean. Any dust at all will cause a pin prick bubble. Exact placement first time is important, and as women tend to have smaller fingers and better manual dexterity I suggest that men swallow their pride and ask for help. My wife made an excellent job of fitting it.

New 5th Generation Nano Blue Flip Case & Blue Silicone Cover With Screen Protector For the New Apple iPod 5G Nano with Camera (Sep 2009) 8GB & 16GB

5.0 out of 5 stars 5th generation nano flip case, 6 Jan. 2010
I wanted something to protect the ipod when either in my pocket or in a bag. Quality is fine and excellent value to get both items in one purchase as the flip case and silicon cover each have advantages in different situations.

Spyro The Dragon - Platinum (PS)
Spyro The Dragon - Platinum (PS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 11 Oct. 2000
This is one of the best games I have ever played on, excluding the sequel. Although it is a cartoon style game and quite cutesy I would recommend it. I played on it for a very long time before I actually suceeded in completing it, let's just say some things are well hidden! It is a platforming game, and it is aimed at children but like I said there is a challenge for adults too. All the Spyro series have amazing graphics, for the current playstation, and the music and sound effects are also very fitting for the game. If you enjoy this I also recommend the sequel "Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer" or "Ripto's Rage" if your'e in the US. The sequel also includes more of a puzzle element than the first and is alot trickier. I would definitely recommend both games and "Spyro: Year of the Dragon"... Hope this was of help, Rachel BB

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
Banjo-Kazooie (N64)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 6 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Banjo-Kazooie (N64) (Video Game)
This is THE best game on the nintendo. It is challenging but not impossible with funny characters and a quirky plot. It is suitable for all ages and if you're good enough to finish it 100% there is a secret ending giving you clues to the games big secrets......... but the catch is you'll have to wait for the sequel to access them! A must buy, and the sequel is looking to be one of the hottest games on the nintendo. P.S. Any game by Rare will be sure to stun you