Profile for MORTEN AASTAD > Reviews

Content by MORTEN AASTAD

MORTEN AASTAD (Oslo Norway)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Don't Stop Now [Cd2]
Don't Stop Now [Cd2]
Offered by Townsend Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back!, 27 July 2007
This review is from: Don't Stop Now [Cd2] (Audio CD)
Wonderful track this, and a welcome return of the band that stood above everyone else in their time. This is one of two tracks of the new album Time on Earth that really get your feet stomping. The rest of the tracks are a lot more somber and will offer moments of reflection.

In response to the other reviewer, yes, there might be a bit of mis information. This, CD 2 does contain the video for Don't Stop Now, which is really nice. It uses the album artwork of Nick Seymour in a really wonderful way.

So, if you are a real fan of the Crowdies, like I am, ahem, then you really should get this single. And of course, CD 1 as well, for that non album track!

Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 7 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 7 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Avery Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars End game, 12 July 2007
My real introduction to the Star Trek universe was Deep Space 9. I had seen the actor Colm Meaney in a couple of films, and asked the guy at my local video store, if he knew of anything else Colm Meaney could be seen in. He told me about Deep Space 9, I bought my first video (this was back in 1994) and I was completly hooked.

Since then I have seen the Next Generation, TOS, Voyager and parts of Enterprise. All of them pale compared to DS9 in my oppinion.

The story telling of this series just awesome. Great character, and an intencity lacking in other shows. A sense of doom, not unlike that of fellow space station show, Babylon 5.

In this, the 7th and final season, everything is comming to a final desperate end. Yet, there were still new things being introduced. Mainly due to one terrible disaster. Jadzia Dax dying. This was not a disaster brought on by the writers. It was brought on by the meaningless departure of Terry Farrell. It has been said she left, as she felt overshadowed by the rest of the cast. A conclution she couldn't have arrived at by season 3 or 4? Never the less. Her character, being constantly interesting, fun, smart, sexy and sweet, was removed when we really didn't need it to happen. In season 7, a lot of the other characters are having to cope with this, loss, and it's wonderful to see how they all go about it. Then in comes the mistake, Nicole de Boer as Ezri Dax. We thereby end up with a season having to alocate costly time to introducing this character, who does little of real importance. In the end, her one redeeming trait (apart from her obvious beauty) is giving Doctor Bashir an opportunity to do something other than throw darts with Miles.

Aside from this, blip, the season is great. I enjoyd it so much and I was so sad when it was over. Seeing it again on DVD is a real joy. Gul Dukat really holds up the ante for evil. It's funny, introduced at the very begining, he was out 'nastied' by the dominion characters, but he truly shows us who mr. evil is in season 7. And then there's of course Garak, who steals every second of frame when he is on. Let's hear it for reptilian, fascist aliens inspired by Egyptian design!

At the very end, when all falls into place, and we all feel sad it's over. That's when it hits you in the gut. Jake Sisko, left alone. His father gone to be with the prophets, his new 'family', the other characters taking new postings, starting new lives. I always felt the young Sisko was terribly badly treaded by faith, and that ending really drove it home.

And I guess that's why Deep Space 9 was so great? It dared to take away a young mans father.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2010 10:48 PM BST

Send Away The Tigers
Send Away The Tigers
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on top, 29 May 2007
This review is from: Send Away The Tigers (Audio CD)
The Manics are back! Not that they had gone anywhere, they just, faultered, a little bit.

Their last two albums are not favorites of mine. Know your enemy was unfocused and for the first time, their views and oppinions felt like they weren't delivered, as much as rammed down my throat. As for their next effort, lifeblood, it just seemed so wishy washy. Squishy even.

This time they have gotten their house in order. The songs are delivered right away. You hardly get time to relax before one sharp hook is delivered after another. The lyrics are a lot more of everything this time as well. And when things might start to sound a bit too familliar, in comes 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough'. Bringing in a female voice, the wonderful Nina Persson of The Cardigans, ads another dimension, and lets you sing along to what should be deemed as the pop/rock singel of 2007.

I was a bit worried when I saw the cover. It looks like a Beautiful South album (not that I don't like that band, I do, and they will be sorely missed). I thought perhaps they had gone in some sort of nostalgic pop tune direction.

But, one song in and my worries were laid aside.

This is easily one of my top 5 albums for album of the year, so far, in 2007.

Wings Wild Life
Wings Wild Life

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice time is not a crime, 11 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Wings Wild Life (Audio CD)
Back in the early 70's, McCartney's output was unfairly criticised because he was seen as the man who broke up the Beatles, and then spent his life being a happy family man, instead of a headline grabbing world trotter like Lennon. Due to this, his early albums (up to and including Red Rose...) were unfairly attacked. This is still seen in the critisism of his early records today. Allthough it must be said that 'Ram' has gotten a lot of positive press in later years. As Lennon turned out to be an uninspired solo artist, Harrison kept making the same album over and over, and Ringo... Well, the novelty wore off. McCartney finally conqoured the World in his own right, with Band On The Run.

The prevailing sense of what was hip and what was not in 1971/72 should not keep us from enjoying, in 2007, what is an album of fine, and at times great pop songs. If nothing else, this is a historical first recording, from one of the 70's greatest bands, The Wings.

Extravagenza
Extravagenza

4.0 out of 5 stars Faraway so close., 23 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Extravagenza (Audio CD)
Writing this review from Oslo, Norway, I despair never having seen Split Enz in action. Most likely I never will either. This live CD is from their anniversary tour of 1993. They played live again in 2006, but alas, only in their own 'backyard'. I have seen Neil play before, at the Domain in Sydney in 2000 and once in Oslo before that. I had tickets to see The Finn Brothers, but just days before they were to arrive in Oslo, poor Paul Hester died.

Good thing then, that you can get CD's like this one.

From all I've read, Split Enz are reported to have been great on stage. You see small pieces of this on the DVD they released a few years back (Split Enz, 2002 - Containing the documentary 'Spellbound'), but mostly I like to just imagine it.

As for this CD, I'd like to say it's very good looking, the songs are as strong as ever, there are some nice liner notes as well, so I wouldn't want to be without it. But, the sound is at time a bit lacklustre. The vocals a bit muted and it takes a while to get going. If you would like to have a Split Enz live CD that really kicks it into gear, I would like to suggest that you get the double CD 'Living Enz' (1985), recorded during the bands official farewell tour (and a few from an earlier 1982 tour). Note, the sound might not be perfect on this either, but Split Enz isn't about that kind of perfection in my mind or ears.

Say It Is So
Say It Is So

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly There., 18 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Say It Is So (Audio CD)
Tim Finn, how we missed you. To some he is Neil Finn light, to some just the older not quite as lucky brother. There's Tim Finn, part time Crowded House member (Woodface) and finally Tim Finn, charter member of that 70's and 80's Kiwi export, Split Enz. To me he is mostly the latter. Being nearly 35 years old I remember them from back then and I have grown into a devout fan of the Enz and more so of Crowded House and Neil Finn. So, to discover Tim Finn it is esential that you listen to Split Enz (I recommend Time and Tide from 1982, it is very Tim Finn). So, how about Tim Finn the returning solo artist? Well, up until now I personally find it has been a rather dodgy afair. In my ears he seems to do his damndest to sound NOT like Tim Finn through most of his earlier work (like 1993's Before and After). It sounds restrained and not at all very imaginative (And in some cases very outdated by it's 80's sound). You are left with the feeling that he is incapable of unleashing his talent without his younger brother (The exellent first Finn Brother album 'Finn' from 1995 is a good example). But then came Say It Is So. I have to admit I bought it mianly because he was in Split Enz and Crowded House and I was in Sydney Australia at the time. But this time I enjoyed myself, I really did. This is a fine album, this SOUNDS like Tim Finn (Underwater Mountain is a gorgeous song). There are a couple of songs on this album that are a little dull, but everytime you feel a bit let down there's a new song to lift you back up. I don't know the man, just his music, but I feel I can say as much, Tim Finn sounds like he enjoys being Tim Finn, and that makes for a very good time in his company.

Curse Of The Pink Panther [DVD]
Curse Of The Pink Panther [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

3.0 out of 5 stars Reloaded, jammed Pt. 1., 18 Jan. 2007
When Curse came out in 1983, it was not a surprise to anyone. The previous film, Trail of the Pink Panther, had an open ending, and an announcement in the end credits that they would all return in 'Curse of the Pink Panther'. But, whereas 'Trail' had been a choked attempt at making a movie using clips of the brilliant Peter Sellers, 'Curse' were to relaunch the franchise with a new actor as a, not the, bumbling inspector. Ted Wass did play bumbling and inept, but he was American, unknown and he wasn't Peter Sellers (His acting career wasn't much of anything after this either).

The point, as it is, of this movie is to find Clouseau, a computer chooses the best detective in the World to do so, but it's sabotaged and choses the worst instead.

The inspector is found, played by Roger More. Plastic surgery, it's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

The value of this movie is in some of the better known recurring characters, Herbert Lom as Inspector Dreyfus, Burt Kwouk as Cato as well as Robert Wagner and David Niven in his very last film (Niven was so frail, his voice was dubbed by Rich Little).

This was the second time everyone realised only Sellers could play Clouseau (the first time was in 1968 when Alan Arkin played the part in 'Inspector Clouseau'). Everyone realised it again in 1993 with 'Son of the Pink Panther (An imensly irritating Roberto Benigni), and finally, atleast the critics realised it in 2006 (Steve Martin's turn in 'The Pink Panther' did well at the boxoffice however and a Pink Panther 2 has a 2008 release planned).

Allthough mostly a shambles, it does have a few good laughs, Blake Edwards is the man behind the reigns and for those who want to complete their collection, this is far from a complete waste.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2015 5:56 PM GMT

After Glow (International Only)
After Glow (International Only)
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Afterglow of brilliance., 6 Jan. 2007
Did you like me love Crowded House? Did you spend lonesome nights in wintery Scandinavia (or elsewhere), feeling rays of sunshine come from your speakers, as Neil Finn gave us his little life lessons and musings? Did you, like me, perhaps shed a few tears when you watched the Farewell to the World concert (now out on DVD), from the steps of Sydney's Operahouse? And have you like me, been craving just one more hit like some recovering junkie? Then buy buy buy buy this afterglow. I recommend it with all my heart. It's like having a Recurring Dream.

The Golden Girls: The Complete Sixth Season [1986] [REGION 1] (NTSC) [DVD] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageism, the silver revolution!, 29 Dec. 2006
Or something to that effect.

I laugh just as much now as I did when I was a teenager and saw this the first time. I think Golden Girls helps you think of the elderly and middle aged with less fear to be honest. But all that aside, when you hear the girls deliver their lines like pistols, it's just great fun, good writing and different still from most of the things that are shown these days.

It is a shame and an insult to the Europeans who bought the 3 first seasons, that Disney desided not to release seasons 4 through 7. Yes, of course, the might Euro rules business, but to leave people with nearly half a series like that? Shame!

Good thing then, that Amazon offers its customers the region 1 discs.

Hurray for the Miami 4!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2010 10:16 AM BST

7 Worlds Collide
7 Worlds Collide
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars South Pacific Paradise, 18 Dec. 2006
This review is from: 7 Worlds Collide (Audio CD)
This record is just fantastic. Neil Finn is most likely the best songwriter around. Neil Finn and Paul McCartney, that's pretty much it as `Worlds best songwriters' goes, in my opinion. To hear him play with friends and professionals, even family, like he does on this album is a privilege.

Essentially Neil planned to get together with some musicians he admires (Johnny Marr, Eddie Vedder, Lisa Germano a.o.), rehearse in comfortable surroundings in New Zealand, play a few gigs as a band and disband. In addition he brought his brother Tim Finn and his son Liam with his band Betchadupa along for the gig, and that's pretty much it.

What came out of this is just so good, I almost feel like crying, I'm so upset I couldn't be there to witness it. But the good news is of course this CD and the wonderful concert DVD released at the same time.

There are a couple of mild duds (Johnny Marr on his own is a rather pedestrian affair), but all over this is just a sensory festival. Highpoint of the affair, Eddie Vedder and Tim Finn rocking out alongside the kids in Betchadupa to Uncle Tim's 'I See Red', with a proud Neil watching from the side.

An early version of Edible Flowers (later released on Everyone is here) sends shivers down my spine, showing that the Finn Brothers grasp on a great tune and superior lyrics are as strong as ever.

Buy it, now!