Profile for NL > Reviews

The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight
The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight
by Haylie Pomroy

4.0 out of 5 stars It's working so far!, 17 May 2013
Having almost completed week 2 of the plan I can safely say that so far it is working for me! I can't comment on specific weight loss as I couldn't face the scales before I started but I can already see the difference and I am looking forward to stepping on the scales after the 4 weeks. Today I am wearing jeans that I bought a few months ago after losing weight on a low calorie plan, but already couldn't wear after a couple of months as they were too small and I generally feel much better in myself already, probably partly just due to getting the eating under control again and ditching the chocolate.

For me the phase 2 days with only protein and veg are a bit of a struggle but as it's only a two day phase I've found I'm able to do it, as the author says, its only 2 days. As you know you have a good 3 days to follow, you can stick it out.

I have found a few discrepancies in the book, eg for a snack it may just say protein, but the suggested recipies are protein and veg, but all in all the guidelines are good.

If you are looking for something to get you back on track and get you out of a rut, I would recommend the plan as you do eat alot of good food and the 28 day time span is not too short but is also achieveable, and if you stick to it properly, you do get results. Phase 1 and 3 are good, phase 2 not so good if you like fruit and carbs/grains, but putting up with phase 2 for 2 days is worth it for the results I'm already seeing. Today is a phase 3 day, let me show you what I'm eating:

porridge made with almond milk, mixed berries, cashews and a carrot. Breakfast
carrots dipped in organic peanut butter - actually really nice. Snack
romaine wraps with peanut butter, chicken and plums - again, came up with this myself, sounds strange but very tasty. Lunch
a hard boiled egg. Snack
chicken, mushroom and barley casserole - again a recipe I already cooked sometimes but fits in with the plan. Dinner

I haven't measured out portion sizes as suggested, I've just eaten a reasonable portion of grains etc and it seems to be fine. Also, they suggest alot of sprouted grain products when eating bread, bagels etc, this isn't something I've been able to get but I'm just eating the best alternatives I can find and avoiding the wheat and it seems to be ok. Also, it states you must eat every 3-4 hours but I find I can't fit this in with my day and the family life, I've decided to eat every 2.5 to 4 hours and it seems to work ok. So I think you can tweak the plan a little to fit in with life, so long as you stick to the basics.

All in, a good plan if you want to get out of the bit, it does work if you actually follow it :-)