Profile for J. Brooke > Reviews

Content by J. Brooke

J. Brooke "titus4t" (Wareham Dorset)

Menkind Air Powerd Engine Car Build It Yourself Kit
Menkind Air Powerd Engine Car Build It Yourself Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great kit **BUT** there is a potentially disastrous error in ..., 30 Dec. 2015
This is a great kit **BUT** there is a potentially disastrous error in the instructions. You are supplied with all of the rubber tube necessary in one piece, which you have to cut to size. In the instructions the tube is shown at 1:1 scale in the lengths you need but it is also labeled with the lengths in cm. The two lengths do not correspond. If you use the lengths given in cm you will run out of tube before you have cut them all. The lengths shown drawn at 1:1 scale are the correct ones. (Guess which way we did it!!!!! - fortunately it turns out that Lego Technic pneumatic tubes are a good substitute.

Other than that we had one or two bits of trouble shooting to do with a sticky valve and imperfect seals, but with a bit of fiddling about my 10 year old and I managed to get the thing working in about 3 or 4 hours of fairly intense activity. I don't think a 10 year old could do it alone though - maybe a reasonably smart 12 year old could do it, but younger than that adult help is certainly required. In fact a few adults I know would have trouble doing it.

Also you will need the tools that they suggest that you "may need" especially a long thin philips screwdriver.

Finally if the manufacturers are reading, the "oil sink" and applicator are a terrible, messy idea. It would be much better to supply the oil in a small squeezy tube with a precision nozzle.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2016 4:37 PM BST

Lexar 8GB Jump Drive Twist and Turn USB 2.0 Stick - Blue
Lexar 8GB Jump Drive Twist and Turn USB 2.0 Stick - Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Great design but unreliable, 5 July 2011
Like other purchasers both of these that I have bought have started to malfunction after a couple of months. Constantly disconnecting and reconnecting; sometimes unrecognisable; generally a pain. I really like the fact it has no lid to lose but this doesn't make up for the fact that I'm now going to have to buy a new memory stick. Avoid.

Locomotion (New Windmills KS3)
Locomotion (New Windmills KS3)
by Jacqueline Woodson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 April 2010
..in a 'want to go out and buy a copy for all my friends' kind of way; in a 'this is what English teaching should be like and a I want to go and try this with my children' sort of way; in a 'this is going to stay with me for a long time and will be worth reading and rereading' sort of way. You can read it in about half an hour but it reverberates for days.

Once Upon a Potty: Girl
Once Upon a Potty: Girl
by Alona Frankel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 27 May 2005
For me, its unbearably twee. For example
"Ever since Prudence was born, she has been making Wee-Wee and Poo Poo into her diaper."
and so on, in a similar tone. Quite a lot of text and uninspiring illustrations for my 18 month old daughter who is showing a keen interest in her potty and loves books - but not this one!