Profile for David Leigh > Reviews

Content by David Leigh

David Leigh (Hertfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 64 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter + Memory Zone App (SDSDQU-032G-U46A)
Offered by UkMobileAccessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in the HTC One M8. Great card., 11 Dec. 2014
For those interested in knowing if this will work in a HTC One M8 I can assure you that it does. Got it out of the packaging, put it in the phone (while the phone was on. That's very important!) and within seconds I was transferring files from the internal memory to this card.

You can go for the bigger SanDisk card if you want but in my opinion 64GB is plenty of space for any phone user. Even someone with a huge music library.

Well worth the purchase for anyone else who's bought a HTC One M8 or any other phone that accepts this type of card.

Ritual
Ritual

4.0 out of 5 stars Great band; Great Album, 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
I heard 'Bigger Than Us' on XFM and then a week later decided to get the album, after a few listens my favourite songs were Strangers and Bad Love, but to be honest the other tracks aren't bad either and I may end up disagreeing with my own rating when I look back a few months down the line if they continue to grow on me.

I see albums purely as additions to a band's catalogue for their live sets, rather than individual entities, and there are songs here that will no doubt live on for many years among the new and old in White Lies live shows.

Ritual isn't a consistent winner with me, some of the songs get lost or appear far too similar to the others to render this an out-and-out classic album, but when you mix the best of this with the best of their previous work you get a truly rounded experience. I'd give the album 4*, but the band gets 5*.

Codes and Keys
Codes and Keys

5.0 out of 5 stars My Mind's Unlocked and Open, 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Codes and Keys (Audio CD)
Hadn't heard of Deathcab until I saw them on the bill supporting Biffy Clyro and Foo Fighters at MK Bowl, so I don't have a back catalogue to compare this against, instead I opted to put this straight into the music library on my phone to listen to at work and over the course of the past month the album has really grown on me and is up there with my favourites of the year so far.

The instant hit with me was 'Underneath the Sycamore', probably due to it's likeness to a Jimmy Eat World creation, needless to say this song was stuck in my head for a long time after the first listen. 'Doors Unlocked and Open' should have been the first track on the album, in my opinon, as it has a fantastic instrumental intro and is a track I'd happily put at the start of a playlist. 'Codes and Keys', 'Some Boys' & 'Monday Morning' can be placed alongside those two as my favourites from the album.

A really great find; a really great band. My mind's unlocked and open to their future releases, but I think I'll go back and get their earlier albums to see how they've progressed.

I'd recommend to anyone interested in indie rock who wants something a bit different.

No Apologies
No Apologies

3.0 out of 5 stars No Apologies, 28 July 2011
This review is from: No Apologies (Audio CD)
I think Only Through The Pain has been Trapt's best album to date, it had a bit of everything and was a measured improvement on Someone In Control.

Trapt have always had a distinct sound and a seemingly formulaic way of making songs, but there comes a time when that starts to get rather repetitive and wear a little thin, for me that time has come. No Apologies just fails to offer anything new or any form of evolution/improvement from their last offering. No doubt fans will find their favourites, there are some good songs in there including 'No Apologies', 'Drama Queen' & 'Overloaded' but I have a feeling this album will age badly.

I give it 3*. It's ok but just not diverse enough for me, I think they're capable of better and I hope they come back much stronger.

Holding Onto Strings Bett
Holding Onto Strings Bett

5.0 out of 5 stars Seether go from strength to strength., 28 July 2011
Have been a long time Seether fan and every time they put out a new album I'm always a little unsure as to how they'd better their previous releases, but they've gone and done it again!

'Here and Now', 'Tonight' & 'Fade Out' are up there with their best in my opinion, 'Tonight' being my favourite of the three.

Oddly, after hearing Country Song as a single before this album came out I had my doubts about what we were going to get, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the songs on here.

I'd recommend this to any Seether fan, the band goes from strength to strength.

Wasting Light
Wasting Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight from Dave's garage!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Wasting Light (Audio CD)
Stunning work from the Foos here. Had this on preorder and a week after release I was actually quite shocked at how well it was received around the world, not because it's undeserving, but because everyone nowadays keeps insisting that rock & roll is dead. It most certainly is NOT.

Personally it's all the more brilliant because it was recorded in Dave's garage.

There's a very simple reason that I gave this 5 stars, there isn't a track on the album that I don't like. In fact, unlike any other review of an album I've done, I can't pick out favourites because I'd end up giving you a list that looks just like the back cover of the album.

Bridge Burning is a great opener and Rope was already a hit with me before I got the album. Dear Rosemary isn't as heavy as the first two and that gives White Limo an even bigger impact as it's easily the heaviest song on the album. White Limo is a marmite track, some will love it others will skip it immediately, but my advice is give it time. It's a track I've grown to love and I can honestly tell you I'm not normally a fan of songs like this.

These Days and Back & Forth should be released as singles in due time in my opinion, the former building steadily to a fiery chorus with the latter possessing a catchy chorus just like Arlandria, once again showcasing Grohl's great song-writing ability, it's also the title of the band's documentary DVD (which you should all have a look at :D).

Things are slowed down later on for I Should Have Known which instantly hit me as a really heartfelt song and an outpouring of emotion, a stand out track. Walk rounds things off and will be familiar to many already due to it's ties to the film Thor, but to me it symbolises my love for the band, even after all this time they can still put out a shiny new record that'll blow us all away all over again.

5* album from a world class band. Easily one of my albums of 2011.

Revolutions // Live At Wembley
Revolutions // Live At Wembley

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant!, 24 July 2011
So far this year I've been rather consumed by live music. So it would have taken an apocalyptic event to prevent me buying this album. As a fan of Biffy Clyro but not one that's been around them long enough to know of their earlier songs I'd say this is an essential purchase for anyone looking to get to know Biffy.

As the title of the CD suggests it's packed with songs from the most recent album. A great intro for a set with 'The Captain' followed by two more heavy songs in 'Boom, Blast and Ruin' & '57'. Then 4 more tracks from Only Revolutions to lead up to one of my favourites in 'All The Way Down'. The flow of the setlist is perfect and by the time I'd reached Who's Got a Match this had already been sealed for me as utterly brilliant... and that's before I'd watched the show.

I made sure I sat down and watched the DVD in one go (which is really well shot btw). There is also a bonus T in the Park performance with behind the scenes snippets. After watching/listening to this I went back and made sure I got myself Biffy's earlier work. I liked them before his but I can honestly say they're now one of my favourite bands around.

I'd recommend this not only to the fans of Biffy Clyro but to anyone interested in getting to know their work.

Gigabyte SKT-1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard (Rev 1.0)
Gigabyte SKT-1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard (Rev 1.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Motherboard!, 28 May 2011
The one thing initially putting me off getting this motherboard was the review on here calling this a 'lemon'. However, the motherboard now sent out through Amazon is Revision.2, the latest version of the board and there are no issues with it, it wasn't until I checked the comments that I realised Gigabyte had released a 2nd revision of the board. I decided to go with it, having found no better boards around the same price, and I'm here to say I'm glad I did.

It boots quickly, faster than my previous motherboard and considering this was my first PC build (having previously got the PC ready-made for me) the instructions provided for wiring it up were brilliant, no problem getting it fitted and installed.

I bought this over the many other X58 motherboards (MBs) out there as I needed a lot of USB connections and this sure ticks that box. With 8 USB connections on the MB (2 external SATA ports double up as USB ports) and the 2 USB slots I have on the top of my case I now have plenty for all the things I have connected to the PC. An added bonus for those into overclocking is the addition of a 'Clear CMOS' button on the back of the system if you happen to alter anything in the BIOS and need a quick reset to the defaults. Haven't OC for a while, considering my old MB was appalling at doing so, but I may delve into it at some point now.

I had no problems booting up or installing the required drivers and have just started having a look at the various utilities that come with it, which allow for easy overclocking at the click of a button. As a platform for an i7 processor (1366 socket) this is a fantastic motherboard. I would recommend it for anyone buying an i7-950 (as I have) and I'd also suggest getting 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM to go with it purely because it allows for triple-channel memory and that should suit you fine for normal use of your PC and for the games out at the moment.

As for the physical size of this board, it's 2 or 3cms bigger in height (when fitted) than my old MB, meaning I had to adjust where the graphics card would come out at the back but that was hardly an issue for me. I would recommend an Arctic CPU cooler for an i7 processor on this board, I'm not entirely confident with the stock cooler that Intel provide with the CPU. If I had any reservations about this board that would be it; that once a relatively large cooler is fitted the fan overhangs the first RAM slot. However, the first RAM slot isn't used unless you want to install 6 sticks of RAM. If you are looking to do that then check the size of the cooling system you're going to use first. The temperature using Arctic's cooling solution is between 30-35 degrees Celcius, (in safe levels) and the overall temperature of the system is fine as well so long as you have a couple of fans in your case to help with airflow.

Final points:
A board better than 'entry level' for anyone looking to build an i7 (1366) system. I would personally recommend it for anyone looking for a 1366 socket MB around this price range.
It has support for:
- Dual/Triple channel memory.
- USB 3.0
- 3-way SLI
- 2x SATA 6Gbps & 8x SATA 3Gbps
- 5.1/7.1 surround sound via back panel.
- and more!

Vivomounts © Ultra Slim LCD LED Plasma TV Wall Screen Mount Bracket System for 32" to 60" Size and Tilt Function with Large Holes for Wall Plates Plugs Aerial Socket
Offered by Electro World

4.0 out of 5 stars Be wary if buying for a 32"..., 30 Mar. 2011
A great wall mount for large-scale TVs. I bought it to mount a 32" however, which is at the bottom end of the suggested sizes for this mount and as a result had to cut a portion of the mount off to get it down to the right size to make sure it was concealed behind the TV.

If you're looking to mount a 32" TV and don't fancy cutting through the metal strip then look elsewhere. However, any size larger than that (or if you don't mind the hassle involved in resizing it) you'll have no problems at all as it does the job perfectly. A nice solid mount with a small spirit level to make sure you don't end up mounting it at a slight angle. The price is good too.

Dear Agony
Dear Agony

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album with a solid sound, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Dear Agony (Audio CD)
A brilliant album. As a big fan of Breaking Benjamin I thought a follow-up to Phobia would be difficult to pull off successfully but they've managed it. Good solid tracks get the album going, with Fade Away playing in my head long after I'd finished listening to it. Unlike many other albums out there that rely on a few good tracks to get on the radio only to then let you down with the rest of the content this keeps the quality throughout, slowing the tempo with Anthem of the Angels and Dear Agony only to pick it up straight away with the tracks that follow them.

This is one of those rare albums I come across where I find myself unable to hate any of the tracks, of course I like some more than others but there aren't any tracks here that I feel let the album down, it's a solid album in my eyes and is well worth the money and attention if you're a fan.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2009 3:05 PM GMT