Profile for H. B. Hosegoood > Reviews

Content by H. B. Hosegoood
Top Reviewer Ranking: 690

H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Thought Readers (Mind Dimensions Book 1)
The Thought Readers (Mind Dimensions Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 19 May 2017
What a brilliant concept this book is written around, and what a joy it is to read! What would you do with your time if you could leave your body any time you wanted, read a few books while you are there and maybe snoop around your world? What about if you could read minds? What would a young man do? Yup, he does! And it is so funny and exciting and clever. My son (18) recommended this book to me. All I can say is that if a young man and a 50-something woman liked it so much, it's got to be good. Buy it - you won't regret it. Thank goodness I have the next one to read now that the story line has really jotted up.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste money on an electric coffee machine. Buy this., 30 April 2017
I can't believe I actually thought about buying an electric coffee filter machine for three times the price! So glad I got this. Here's a run through of the Pros and Cons:
Makes fantastic coffee using the inverted method (see YouTube).
Simple to operate and functional.
Unbelievably easy to clean.
Very cheap filters.
You can buy replacement parts if you ever need them, not that there's much to go wrong.
Comes with everything you need except the coffee.
No plug required - all you need is a means of boiling water - kettle, stove, a fire on the beach...
No waste - the filters are tiny so you can feel ecological using this instead of something with huge filter papers.
Saves you from having yet another electrical device cluttering up your kitchen.
Can be used in lots of places - take it camping and use it in the kitchen. No need to double up with a separate camping coffee maker.

Cons
Sorry, can't think of a single one. I love it.

Hunt Brothers Coffee Grinder | Award Winning Coffee Mill | Best Conical Burr for Precision Brewing | Consistent Grind | Aeropress Compatible, Perfect for Traveling
Offered by Hunt Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, portable and effective, 30 April 2017
There is something really special about an item that is elegant, functional and unfussy that also does its job well – like this coffee grinder, in fact. Lovely in the hand with a smooth grinding action, slim and portable, what's not to like? I have a tendon issue in my left hand and arm at the moment, but this grinder is no bother for me. I move the handle clockwise with one hand (in my case, the left) and the base anticlockwise with the other hand when grinding, and that works so well. There is no issue adjusting the coarseness of the grind, and the resulting coffee (in my new AeroPress) is scrumptious. What's more, the grinder is really quiet – just a slight grinding sound so you can tell that there are actually beans in there! It is easy to operate too. Any issues and you can follow the company's YouTube video. Compare this with an electric grinder – noisy, over-powerful and ugly. Pick this one!

Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F**k
Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F**k
by Thug Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars There IS life after cheese, 16 April 2017
I came to veganism with a slightly heavy heart – was it possible to have ANY happiness without cheese... and milk chocolate... and crusty bread lavished with butter? This book has shown me that it certainly is. The way forward is to think of all the lovely things one can eat, not those that are now off limits. The Caesar salad dressing and accompanying croutons are delicious with any salad, and the white bean and rosemary hummus is delicious and equally quick to make. Then I started making the banana bread – a healthy yet genuinely tasty sweet treat, and I am now on the third loaf. However, it was the discovery of the go-to breakfast bars which brought me back to full joy. Cut into small squares (rather than the bars recommended), these make brilliant snacks when you just have to have something sweet that's not laced with guilt. Everyone loves them from my non-vegan neighbour to my 18-year-old non-vegan son. They may not be the healthiest items in the book, but they sure are scrumptious. I have also tried the burgers, which are good, and the lasagne is next on the list. So far I have not found a single recipe that I haven't liked. My burgers are a little bland, but that was my fault for holding back on the chilli sauce. Forget about the bad language - I find it funny myself, but that's not why I recommend this cookbook. It's because the recipes are great. Buy it - you won't regret it.

Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version, 11 Mar. 2017
I love Isa's cookbooks but just want to warn would-be readers not to buy the digital version of this book. The digital version has no index and no way of highlighting or searching for key words or recipes or any useful thing. Instead the digital book contains just photos of the text pages. This means that if you find a recipe you like, each time you wish to find it you have to start at page 1 and go through manually. What a shame. If it functioned as a digital book it would be great. So buy the physical book, as I will, not the digital one.

Inastri 25/ 5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Hot Pink 2111
Inastri 25/ 5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Hot Pink 2111

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour with a soft sheen, 16 Oct. 2016
This is a perfectly decent bias binding in a lovely colour, but I knocked off a star because, well, it is a bit stiff and synthetic. I know, they are all the same, but I love the feel of proper cotton binding. My other gripe is that I would prefer if the folds were 1/4 of the way in from the edges. That way, the finished width would be 1/4 the width of the binding. I 'fixed' this by stitching along my own seam line rather than the first fold of the binding and it worked just fine. Otherwise the binding would have been wider than I wanted and the fabric I was binding would not have reached the centre fold of the binding. Obviously if you are binding something thick, such as woollen fabric, the pressed seam line might be exactly the right width from the edge. In the end, being this fussy, I really ought to make my own binding…
All that said, this is the easy way to get binding, the colour is really nice, and it is lovely and shiny. Used on the edge of a wonderfully clashing red flowery fabric, it looks the business.

Tohfa Basmati Rice 5 kg
Tohfa Basmati Rice 5 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious yet inexpensive rice, 16 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Tohfa Basmati Rice 5 kg (Grocery)
This is the second 5 kg bag of this Tohfa rice we have bought and we love it. We came across it like this. We went to an Indian restaurant and loved their rice – the little grains were nicely separated, not clumpy and soggy. When we asked what the rice was, the waiter said Tohfa rice. We duly went home and looked it up. How could such a cheap rice taste so good, we wondered? Oh well, we would still give it a go. We did, and we love it.

This is, as it says, BASMATI rice. This is not the long-grain rice you might have with tacos, but the ideal rice for your curries. The grains may be a little smaller than you are used to, but I think this makes them seem refined. As the grains are quite small, you will want to watch the cooking time – it doesn't take long to cook.

Incidentally, for those curries, I recommend the Hairy Biker's curry book. Just follow the recipes to the letter.

Inastri 25/ 5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Sky Blue 2044
Inastri 25/ 5/ 5 mm Acetate Satin Bias Binding, Sky Blue 2044

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pale but very nice, 3 Aug. 2016
The is a VERY pale blue – paler than it looks in the photo as seen on my computer, but a very elegant colour nonetheless. I used it to edge an apron and it looks very nice.

Two tips:
1. Like all binding, there are some seams here. Unroll what you need and check you won't have seams in places that are too obvious before you cut the binding to length.
2. This binding is not folded evenly into four – the seams are 1/4in from the edges which leaves 1in in the middle (1/2in each side when the binding is on). This is great if you want to bind thick fabric or want 1/2in binding. I wanted slightly narrower binding and only had one layer of fabric to bind on my apron, so I lined up the long edge of the binding with the edge of my fabric and took a 3/8in seam allowance. This produces a binding with a finished width of 3/8in which I think is just right.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and more vesatile than you may realize, 12 July 2016
I am loving this. I left the first two batches for 48 hours and from then on I am changing the milk (and drinking the yoghurt) every 24 hours. I have tried organic full-fat milk, which was delicious and made a yoghurt drink that tasted a lot like sour cream. I have found that the semi-skimmed milk leaves the grains looking 'cleaner' and more like the original grains. This works well too. Personally, I don't even need to sweeten it. I like it blended with a banana and a small handful of blueberries. Try it without sugar before you add it as most recipes recommend honey or some sweetener but I don't miss it.
I have also tried a tip I found on YouTube, which is as follows: Let the milk ferment for 24 hours in a cupboard, as usual. Then strain it and put the grains to work again. Meanwhile, put the strained milk in a jar back in the cupboard for another 24 hours and you get curds and whey. The curds are supposed to be like cream cheese, but they are also like really thick yoghurt, so you can treat it as either. Yum.
Other ideas: use your kefil milk/yoghurt in place of buttermilk to make bread; use the 'cream cheese' to make cheesecake; strain the curds to make a firmer cheese... There are hundreds of ideas on the internet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2017 6:35 PM GMT

Guildhall GL Ergogrip Binder Red
Guildhall GL Ergogrip Binder Red

5.0 out of 5 stars School-boy proof, 16 Jun. 2016
I paid £5.69 per folder which is a great price. I bought the blue ones for my son last year and they remain intact, despite being dragged about in a school bag, dumped in the school bus, thrown on the floor and trampled on… you get the picture. So these are the same as those blue folders only red and I expect the same hight standards. I have bought card folders for half the price and they have hardly lasted a month. I think my son could get a job as a tester, seeing how quickly he can trash school stuff – broken rulers and protractors, folders etc… are a common sight. That these folders have lasted so long with him is the highest accolade available.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20