Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now
Profile for Jimmy Lloyd > Reviews

Content by Jimmy Lloyd

Jimmy Lloyd "Jimmy L" (San Francisco)

Flat-Out Love
Flat-Out Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Love Story for All Ages, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Flat-Out Love (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best young adult books to come out in years! Jessica Park has written a book for all ages, but the intended audience is YA. There is a twist at the end that I did not see coming. The characters are engaging and quirky. The writing is smooth and evokes emotion. Give this one a try.

Death Reins In (The Michaela Bancroft Suspense Series Book 2)
Death Reins In (The Michaela Bancroft Suspense Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Mystery, 3 Sept. 2011
A fun mystery around the world of quarter horse racing. Michaela Bancroft is an engaging character who cares about her friends, family, and her horses. She is off to the races with her friend Audrey who winds up murdered. Audrey's brother has been missing for a few days, so Michaela is sure it's all tied together. She goes snooping while dealing with some personal issues that involves her love life. It's a nice little love triangle.

The Michaela mysteries don't have the gore and thrill that some of the other A.K. books do. The books in this series are lighter and have some comedic relief to them. This book is a who-dunnit with good characters, a twisty plot, a sweet romance, and a few chuckles.

Mommy, May I?
Mommy, May I?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Mommy, May I? (Kindle Edition)
Okay, so I have to say that I was a sceptic when I started reading my favorite author as A.K. Alexander. I am not one for all the horror and gore of things, but I am pleased I have given this book, and Daddy's Home and The Cartel (my favorite of A.K.'s three books) a try.

Mommy, May I? is about Helena Shea who has some ups and downs in her life and she wants to get things back on track. She is attempting to make ammends in her life and forge relationships she needs in her life. She is an interesting character with faults I think most of us can relate to. When a serial killer enters her life, she is unaware until a murder leads back to Helena and then her sixteen-year-old daughter Frankie (I have to say that Frankie is as strong of a character as Helena. I enjoyed reading her scenes very much) is abducted by this guy. There is intrigue, drama, some romance, and a mystery that has a surprise ending. I never would have guessed what was going to happen.

I personally enjoy A.K. Alexander as Michele Scott. I met her once at a writer's conference and had read her books. She is a lovely person and I admit I am her biggest fan. I think so anyway. I very much enjoy her mysteries, but these books are just as good, just a bit scarier and darker than her usual stuff.

Daddy's Home (A Holly Jennings Thriller Book 1)
Daddy's Home (A Holly Jennings Thriller Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Thrilling, 24 May 2011
Daddy's Home is an entertaining and thrilling read. The pacing is quick, characters are three-dimensional and the dialogue realistic. The plot is not for the faint-hearted as a serial killer is stalking single moms and their kids. He is a a truly evil villian and when he meets his demise I thought it very fitting. I won't give away any spoilers here, but I can tell you to be prepared for many twists and turns like that of a roller coaster. The author has done a good job of winding the reader down one road and then twisting down another without compromising the story, or making it feel trite. I thought that the heroine Holly was a well developed character who loves her child and is dealing with the angst over losing her husband (there is some mystery there, too). She is a good cop and an interesting heroine who I would personally like to read more of.

I thoroughly enjoyed the read and say give it a try if you like good suspense.

The Cartel
The Cartel

5.0 out of 5 stars A Saga You Won't Forget, 10 May 2011
This review is from: The Cartel (Kindle Edition)
This novel has a bit of everything in it from lusty sex and violence to romantic love and familial bonds. It is about the power and greed of two families headed by patriarchs Javier Rodriguez and Antonio Espinoza. Like as in The Godfaher series these were men you wanted to hate but couldn't. They were flawed in character but there was a line in them that allowed the reader to see their strengths and what they believed in. The women characters were also as compelling and the decisions each woman must make as the years go by regarding the men they love are heart wrenching. The book spans over two decades and at the root of it is a brother's revenge and what Emilio Espinoza plots out to "get even" with his brother Antonio. There are several storylines that work well within the story and I found the author's strengths were her ability to weave these plotlines together seamlessly. I could easily see this book playing out on the big screen.