Profile for E. Harrison > Reviews

E. Harrison

The Man Who Never Was
The Man Who Never Was

1.0 out of 5 stars Written by a 10-year-old?, 26 May 2014
I had hopes for this book. The plot summary indicated a fairly well-crafted detective story, the reviews suggested it was worth a try, and as one of the books Amazon were offering as a free Kindle offer, I thought I would give it a go. I should have known there's a reason Amazon were giving it away... it was so poorly written I only waded through 2 chapters before I had to stop. I have to assume that the author has self-published his first novel, as surely those professionals at a publishing company would never have allowed this out in this state.

The dialogue is clunky, the characters are poorly formed and their motivations and foibles are spelled out for us by the author with every exchange. Anyone who's ever taken a creative writing course is given the golden advice of "show, don't tell", but this author must have missed that lesson, preferring to power his dialogue with a drivelling list of an individual's history rather than subtly weaving that history into the way the character behaves.

I'm a bit sad about this, as the plot really did have the potential to be a great novel. If the author had been given some professional advice, and the opportunity to revise the book past what seems like it's first draft, it could have been great.

Gravity
Gravity
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Video)
I wish I'd seen this at the cinema. This is a film that deserves the scale of the big screen.

Sandra Bullock is amazing, as usual, but I was a little distracted when George Clooney was onscreen... George in a spacesuit kept making me think of Buzz Lightgear!

This film used its location as a character - space is huge, boundless, enveloping, beautiful, terrifying, claustrophobic and isolating. I found myself holding my breath more than once. Much as I love films like Alien, I've realised you don't need face-hugging ETs to pose a threat to the good guys... space itself is the ultimate villain, made all the more terrifying because space, unlike a vengeful Alien Queen, is entirely indifferent to your existence.

The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook
The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook
by Lynn Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all skill levels, 22 Jun. 2013
I spotted The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook just at the right time.

My husband's a police officer, and every so often when he's on nights, he and his colleagues will have cook-offs and bring the resulting treats into work - last time was curry, this time, cake!

As i've never been much of a baker i had only a few trusted cake recipes, and although we scoured the internet for something yummy, nothing really grabbed his fancy. So when i did my weekly shop at the local supermarket, i stopped off to look at the cookbooks. It was a choice between The CCC Cookbook, Hummingbird Bakery, or the Great British Bake-off. CCC won by a whisker, simply due to the variety of flavours and that each recipe seemed like the sort of thing that could keep the boys and girls in blue motivated on a cold, soggy North of England nighttime.

Hubs immediately decided to try the Date & Walnut cake (p45) as we had most of the ingredients in the pantry already, and only had 4 steps to the recipe - he'd never ever baked before! The cake was perfect, and went down a storm with his colleagues.

Since then, i've had a few forays into the baking world too - prior to getting this book, the extent of my skills was a batch of scones or my gran's tealoaf (there's a recipe for Overnight Tea Loaf on p66 which is surprisingly similar to the one i use!). The recipes are so easy to follow, if you follow the to the letter, it can't go wrong (although there is a troubleshooting section at the back just in case...)

Since i'm trying to lose weight, i bake for fun and let my (or my husband's) colleagues eat the results. So far, they're had treats every week:

A variation on the Battenburg (p43) - i made it blue and yellow to match the livery on the police cars.
The Rhubarb and Custard cake (or should that be Rhubarb and Custody?) on p41
And this week, they'll be getting the Ginger Syrup Cake (p50)

There are a number of recipes in this book suitable for dairy- or gluten-free diets, and even a vegan lemon cake. This book is a must if you're a beginner, or already love baking, or are stuck in a rut and want to create something out of the ordinary - there'll be something delicious for you to try! This book has also given me the confidence to try new things on my own.

Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.