Profile for S. WOODRUFF > Reviews

Content by S. WOODRUFF

S. WOODRUFF "alright" (Glasgow Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)
Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable read., 23 July 2016
A police procedural set in Dover, with a good story to tell, and some insight into the town and the way it works. I hadn't heard of the author before, but I suspect that's my limited horizon, because surely he's well know to those who like crime novels. Recommended read!

Forefront Cases Leather Shell Case Cover with Smart Auto Sleep Wake Function for Amazon Kindle 2014 - Orange
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars great., 30 May 2016
Works perfectly. It reminds me of the iPad folding cover (but is much cheaper) in the way it works: flip open the cover and the Kindle turns on, close the cover and it turns off, or as near as Kindles get to off. Its not going to offer the same level of protection as a rubber or neoprene case, so I wouldn't be confident of dropping the Kindle onto a concrete floor, but as a convenient and well made cover its great. It also makes the Kindle appear a bit more book-like. (but leather? hmm, not sure)

The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel
The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A great short break, 5 May 2016
Terrific read. A (very slightly) more modern Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn tale, quickly and funnily told. It had me laughing our loud, which is unusual for a book. Read it, relax and enjoy.

River Thieves
River Thieves
by Michael Crummey

5.0 out of 5 stars read it!, 18 Feb. 2016
This review is from: River Thieves (Paperback)
A terrific novel. I won't repeat what the other 4 (at time of writing) reviews have covered except to say I haven't enjoyed reading so much for a long time. His descriptions make you want to stop and savour them, in that way reminding me of the experience of reading The Shipping News, though the stories have little similarity apart from the province they are set in.
This is a great talent.

Fatal Error: A gripping financial thriller
Fatal Error: A gripping financial thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 18 Feb. 2016
A quick moving and involving tale of characters caught in the excitement of the early commercial internet. The writing is taught, the plot unwraps in front of you in a way that's believable without being predictable. I finished it quite quickly and was left with the sort of feeling you get after a good Hollywood movie: entertained and full!

The Fallen
The Fallen

2.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 18 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Fallen (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear. For the first couple of chapters a Christian priest drives home, thinks about sermons, admires his wife, meets Jesus (is it?). We get a LOT of religion. Then the aliens arrive. And the next aliens, and an abduction, and thinking about God helps a bit, then there are more aliens of a different colour, and really its time to delete this book.
In those first few chapters there is no character development, no atmosphere, no plot worthy of the name (a difficult trick when you've got aliens in San Fransisco) I only got as far as I did out of late night curiosity about whether it could really be this poor.
Stay away!

Moon Tide Clock
Moon Tide Clock
Offered by GlosStock Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars not working as described, 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Moon Tide Clock (Kitchen & Home)
Not as described. The movement is 12 hour, that is the hands move round the clock face from High Tide back to High Tide every 12 hours, and tides are, of course, a few minutes further apart than that. I had thought it was my mistake in not having set the clock correctly at full or new moon, but I've checked over three days and there is a clear exact 12 hour cycle. Maybe the manufacturer got a bad batch? I'd like to have contacted the seller to ask about this before posting a review but I can't find out how.

Some Degree of Murder
Some Degree of Murder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 Sept. 2015
Excellent read! Quite a surprise as I got this as an Amazon free book. Not at all the usual which vary from dreadful to OK.
The story of two characters searching for a girl's killer. Two very different characters who have never met, working independently, and as we read we see the world or the small town and the people in it through their very different perspectives. By the time the two become aware of each other we feel we know them quite well, but from their own perspectives, and suddenly we see each through the other's eyes.
A well written crime/detective story which enthrals and does not disappoint.

Gorilla Tape 32m
Gorilla Tape 32m

5.0 out of 5 stars good sticky strong stuff., 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Gorilla Tape 32m (Automotive)
Stronger and stickier than the other 3 or 4 brands I've tried, and quite thick so doesn't twist round and stick to itself like some do.

The Quality of Silence
The Quality of Silence
by Rosamund Lupton

5.0 out of 5 stars you won't want to stop., 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Quality of Silence (Hardcover)
I was hooked by this. I wanted to read on, find out what was happening and going to happen to the two main characters, mother and daughter. I found it unbelievably tense, and intense, but the intensity meant couldn't rush the reading, often having to stop after just a few pages, like coming up for air from underwater swimming. No guns, no car chases, no spies, but a lesson in how to manage tension and a narrative. Do read this!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7