Profile for Elle L > Reviews

Content by Elle L

Elle L (Belly of the Beast (Athens))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Earthseed (Seed Trilogy)
Earthseed (Seed Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking colonization ship story, 24 Sept. 2015
I read Earthseed to cull my apetite for books like Across the Universe, Sky Chasers trilogy and Inside Out series. I love colonization or generation ship stories of the last of humanity travelling for decades through space to find a new home and the resulting claustrophobia that permeates these books. It did not disappoint. The story is engaging, the plot is intelligent, the questions it raises are important and thought provoking. My only (minor) complaint was that I found the protagonist a bit duller than other characters and I wish we had their POV, for example Manuel's. Overall, a great story for those who love space YA dystopian or scifi books.

The Last Marine in the Galaxy: Initiate Contact (Galaxies Collide Book 1)
The Last Marine in the Galaxy: Initiate Contact (Galaxies Collide Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, average execution, 23 Sept. 2015
I thought I'd try some serious sci-fi. After reading and loving YA sci-fi like Across the Universe, Inside Out the Sky Chasers trilogy, Sara King's wonderful ZERO series and similar, and even investigating sci-fi romance novels (which are not very good, at least the majority) I wanted something more substantial.
The Last Marine in the Galaxy seemed very promising. First contact, aliens land at Heathrow, only to say they need to enlist Earth in a decades old war raging between them and a hostile alien race. Chaoes prevails. The bad aliens attach the UK and earth forces struggle to keep them back. At the same time, some brave souls from Earth follow the good aliens back to one of their planets where the battle rages. It was a very promising setting. What made it unbelievable was that the good aliens were proper marines, speaking perfect English, and we never found out what the bad aliens wanted. Just anihilation? Surrender? To reap the resources from our planet? Then why were they destroying it? Also, the author kept changing plot lines, showing us a bit of action here, a bit there, with no connection or overarching big plan. It felt like a man watching TV and continuously changing the channels, with no focus or intention. Also, there was no leading voice, no main PV, not a single hero to cheer and follow. It would have been great if all the different people we were introduced came together, like in David Estes' books, merging into one big plot line, also if some cultural differences were highlighted, instead of the Trevakkians speaking and acting like earth marines.
I just hope more female writers embark on sci-fi, bring on their great storytelling dynamic and their skill of crafting impressive character arcs into a different universe and come up with some great sci-fi with all the elements that I love in the fantasy and dystopian genres that female authors excel at.

Keepers of the Ancient Wisdom (Kalie's Journey Book 3)
Keepers of the Ancient Wisdom (Kalie's Journey Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, gripping, perfect, 17 Sept. 2015
Such a rewarding book after finishing Jane Auel's last book in Ayla's series (which left me sorely dissapointed). And it is, in my opinion, the strongest in the trilogy. The first starts so slowly that you have to persevere to finish it. The second picks up speed, tension and character development and the third just flies. I love the relationship between Riyik and Kalie. I love the very realistic incorporation of the steppes group into civilized society. Secondary characters develop and really take a life on their own (would love to hear their stories too). I will be definitely reading more of Saidak's novels!

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass Book 4)
Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best storyteller in existence ( contains SPOILERS ahead), 9 Sept. 2015
This book was storytelling at its best. I read about 5-6 books a week and after a while its very rare that a book manages to excite me or surprise me. Queen of Shadows did. I made the mistake of reading reviews before I read it, just to feel out the vibes in the readers community. And I was shocked. Shocked to see that many of the reviewers were not happy to see this big turn in Celaena/Aelin’s (from now on Caelin, for short) romantic interests (SPOILERS from now on).
Some even went as far as to suggest that she would make a poor example for teenage girls, messing around with not one (Dorian) or two (Chaol) but three (Rowan) men. A teenager who has killed, been enslaved, maimed, lied, spied, been tortured, trained as assassin- but falling in love with more than one guys….noooooo. She is a whore. As if one is supposed to find HEA at 17 and stay with the same man forever.
On the contrary, BRAVO to Sarah J. Maas for crafting a female lead who has such a depth of character, that does what every teen and post-teen girl in every age would do: try to find love, experiment and move on. We, in Greece, have like 5 words for love, because there isn’t just one kind of love. Caelin explored platonic love with Dorian in book 1, then fell for Chaol, whose relationship with was always stained by mistrust, fights, misunderstandings and, to my opinion, was based on sexual attraction. Which is OK. If you go back and re-read books 1 and 2 you ‘ll find that Celaena and Chaol’s thing was sporadic, interrupted, it didn’t flow. Maybe Sarah J. Maas intended for them to be together, but as Caelin’s character developed, she outgrew Chaol. Let’s face it. After she embraced her real identity and went over the post-traumatic stress of the last 10 years of her life, supported by Rowan, Chaol was just too small for her. Too human. Too limited. And yes, I can see why people felt that the author deconstructed Chaol in this book and broke him. And I hope he comes back. But he is not Rowan. Rowan and Caelin’s relationship started in darkness and pain and hate and developed to deep rooted trust and loyalty and love. Much more trust and loyalty than what Chaol showed her. So she deserves Rowan. She deserves unfaltering trust. The same as Chaol shows for Dorian. That is why I disagree with the negative reviewers and think this is the best book in the series so far. Because Sarah J. Maas dared to break the mold. Dared to have her heroin move on from the same man, even though he didn’t support her, even though they don’t see eye to eye. It’s much more realistic. And I know that we love Fantasy because it’s not realistic, but I for one, love heroines that although live in fantastical situations, react in realistic ways. That’s how one relates to what one’s reading.
Yes, I was sad to see the deconstruction of Chaol’s character. He is in a dark space all throughout the book. Sad to also see Aedion’s character a little bit dummied down and subdued. But our heroine really deserved some good and happy moments in this book, especially after the darker previous 3 books. Queen of Shadows has a lighter feeling. Maybe the author is happier, maybe I am happier, but it felt a happier book than the previous. And I for one, found it refreshing. Even it is all going to be taken from her in the books that follow, Caelin finds some happiness and most plot lines are tucked in, the storytelling ending with a positive note and without a cliff-hanger, for which I am very grateful to the author (cliff hangers are like blackmailing the readers to wait for the next one and, for me, demonstrate inadequate storytelling). One can just finish the series here, now. And stay with a great aftertaste.
But the author expertly also introduced new interesting players in the game and parallel plotlines and I am sure most are dying to find out what role Manon will play (oh I loved the wicked wicked Manon), also sweet Elide, Marion’s daughter. Maybe Caelin is not going to be the main character in the remaining two books in the series. I almost hope she won’t be. She had enough and deserves some peace and happiness. I loved the ending scene of her quirky court and her reaching Terassen.
Also loved Lysandra and hope to meet more shifters in the next books. And Kaltain. OMG. What a surprise and what a tragic end. The scene in Morath where the 3 meet, Manon, Elide and Kaltain is one of the best Fantasy girl-power scenes ever. As is the fight between Manon and Caelin. Pure awesomeness.
This is one of the author’s strengths, I think: that she manages to craft characters so rich, so layered and deep and amazing. Even Abraxos, my lovely, flower eating Wyvern (who I am convinced is a Shifter or Fey in his animal form), manages to get a detailed, intricate character. Well done, Sarah J. Maas for such a feel-good book. From kick-ass (Throne of Glass), to dark and gritty (Crown of Midnight) to gut-wrenching despair (Heir of Fire) to re-birth and soaring (Queen of Shadows). I don’t know what to expect from book 5 in the series, but I totally trust Ms Maas for she is one of the best storytellers in existence.

Alien Love
Alien Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Great storyline, 15 July 2015
This review is from: Alien Love (Kindle Edition)
Very intereasting storyline. It would have been a 5 star with some editing. There were few mistakes and phrases that didnt make sense, but i give the author 4 stars for the originality of the plot. Would have been nice to swap POVs with Cassandra, instead of having Jack all the time. Also, there could have been a bit more exploring of the dynamic/comaraderie/relationship between the SEALS. Overall, a very enjoyable read.

The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy)
The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart wrenching, gripping and lyrical, 5 May 2015
The second book in the Winner's trilogy is even better than the first. Kestrel and Arin suffer through this book, most of the time separately, through lies and deceptions and spy games that are deadly. The stakes are high and Kestrel goes through a transformation, as is Arin. And the finale...OMG. I cant wait for fall 2016 when the Winner's Kiss, the final book in the trilogy is out.

Red Queen
Red Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me breathless, mesmerized, waiting for book#2!, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Red Queen (Kindle Edition)
Great, simply great book and one of the best ones I read in the last year. Its got some common threads with Red Rising (Reds being the lowest socially, the hero hiding his identity to penetrate the upper echelons to fight from the inside etc), the Grisha trilogy (heroine that is low born but discovers she yields an incredible power etc) and other great stories, but the writing style was unique, the world building excellent and the protagonist was kick ass enough but also fragile and kind.
Lovely book. I cant wait for next one, says its out in 2016!!! Too long to wait....

Switch (New World Series Book 1)
Switch (New World Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but with a few discrepancies of style and atmosphere, 30 Jan. 2015
Switch started really great. It had a Legend feel to it and I was happily entranced in the story, till about half way through. Then, it started to have some serious discrepancies. Firstly, the feeling of fear diminished. Then we got partying scenes totally out of synch with the previous atmosphere and more reminding me of YA novels. Then, it has some heated sexual scenes, so not so YA. I felt it was levitating between YA and adult fiction. There was a scene where the male hero was beaten up and next day he shows up for a date with the heroine, and there was no mention of his injuries. Overall, after a good start, it got mixed up somehow.

Red Rising: Red Rising Trilogy 1 (The Red Rising Trilogy)
Red Rising: Red Rising Trilogy 1 (The Red Rising Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly epic stuff, 28 Dec. 2014
I have read many epic page turners this year. Red Rising is one of the best. It grips you emotionally till you become one with Darrow and his struggle for freedom. I fell in love with Sara Kings "Legend of Zero" books, I god addicted to the dark world of Wool, I eagerly followed Fiona Frost's adventures, but Red Rising was the one book that took my breath away and kept me spell bound days after I read it. Cant wait for January 15th, when the second installment comes out.

Aggressor (Atlantia Series Book 3)
Aggressor (Atlantia Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, glorious, gripping military sci-fi Odyssey, 22 Oct. 2014
Gripping adventure, feats of heroism and self-sacrifice, neck-breaking pace....The Atlantia series starting with Survivor, then book 2 Retaliator and the 3rd (and final?) part of the trilogy Aggressor, is a breath taking military sci-fi Odyssey with high stakes, epic battles, great characterization and world building. Alien meets Battlestar Gallactica meets Contagion meets Star Wars.
And althought book 1 spent a lot of time explaining what happened at doomsday when the nano-AI infected almost every human in the Cosmos, book 2 and 2 spent more time in character building and the relationships amongst the lone surviving vessel, the Atlantia. Definitely worth reading and on the same vain and quality as my other absolutely favorite trilogy "The Legend of ZERO" by Sara King.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 2:26 PM BST