Profile for julia > Reviews

Content by julia

julia "book hoarder" (Warks, England)

whitestrawberry STUDY REVISION memory BLANK CARDS on key ring : (A7) x 2 . Pink cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality paper, 18 Sept. 2015
Very good quality paper. I wanted to use these for archiving fountain pen inks and it worked well. I ended up buying another couple of these.

Prestige Main Ingredients Silicone Spatula and Spoon Set
Prestige Main Ingredients Silicone Spatula and Spoon Set
Offered by Phoenix Direct UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect information, 5 Jan. 2011
This is Nylon spatula & spoon set. Nowhere on the product it says 'silicone'.
I am looking at the packaging, and it says "Non-stick heat resistant nylon head up to 210C".
The set is reasonably priced even for nylon utensils, but I chose this set thinking these are silicones, which these are not.
Not only misleading but incorrect!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Apples for Jam: Recipes for Life
Apples for Jam: Recipes for Life
by Tessa Kiros

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice surprise, 28 Sept. 2006

Unlike the previous reviewer, I hate pink.

Since I was five, I refused to wear anything pink, or red.

However, I enjoyed this book a lot.

It is

1. beautiful book.

2. full of usuful recipes

Reading this book, you'll start a very nice dream of cooking and eating in front of hearty fire, and become very nostalgic and then, suddenly miss all the siblings.

Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking
Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking
by Harumi Kurihara

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 28 Sept. 2006
I was intersted in Japanese cookery for a while but it was difficult to get good advice since moving out of London. Then when I saw a book by "Japan's answer to Delia Smith" I had to get the book. I was very impressed by this her first (in English) book, <Harumi's Japanese Cooking (Conran Octopus Cookery)>. I got many use of the book.

Since then, she appeared on so many places. On my Japanese neighbour's bookshelf (in Japanese), on airline magazines - being a big success in USA, etc.

Here I have her new book, <Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking>. Not surprisingly for a book by same publisher, this book's look is more or less same as the first one - superve photos and same typeset.

It seems that she gained more confidence in her books in English speaking market. Her first book had many pseudo-Japanse dishes or 'fusion' style dishes alongside famous Japanese dishes as if she was nervous to present the whole real thing. This time, the book is full of more authentic type Japanese home cooking as the title suggests.

If you are interested Japanese culture and food, you won't be disappointed.

The chapters are:

Soup, Eggs & Tofu/ Rice & Noodles/ Meat & Poultry/ Fish & Seafood/ Vegetables/ Dessets & Drinks/ Bento/ Menu Planning

This book shows more of what Japanese people eat today, than what western people think what Japanese food is like. Highly recommended.

(less one star becasue, she likes her food sweeter than I do. I halved the amount of sugar every time.)