Profile for E. Finn > Reviews

E. Finn "Mr Evil"

In Circles (Single)
In Circles (Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Single, 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: In Circles (Single) (MP3 Download)
I first discovered Razor Red Noise on YouTube yesterday, and since then I can't stop listening to his music.

He is only 17, but already has an EP, an album, this single, and another album coming out on September 9th, "Perfection in Tragedy". This single is by far his best work so far. "In Circles" is an epic, involving and simply awesome rock song, brilliantly performed by him.

The "Instrumental Version" is good to listen to, but the "A Cappella Version" with just the lyrics with an echo effect is simply fantastic. It is so powerful to listen to this version on its own, without any interuptions or distractions.

Simply said, this single is absolutly brilliant and I hope it is a taste of things to come from his new album. His first album "Blood Winter" was great, but this single has raised the bar and is definitly worth the price.

Spooks: Code 9 (BBC Series) [2008] [DVD]
Spooks: Code 9 (BBC Series) [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanne Frogatt
Offered by wantitcheaper

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, come on! Its not that bad!, 10 Sept. 2008
I can understand why everyone had been putting Spooks: Code 9 down, but I think that it is rather a good series.

I started watching this because the trailers looked cool, and I think that if I had watched Spooks first I wouldn't like Code 9. But yes, while some of the acting isn't good and the plots can be a little predictable,i think it is an fun, adult spy series which delves into themes and morals not covered in Spooks (as far as I know). It is very bleak, which I normally don't like but here I think it works. Everyone who Fielf Office 9 are dealing with are desperate, ready to do whatever it takes to get what they want whether it be radiation drugs or guns or whatever.

I thought the final cliffhanger was really good, and will definatly keep me watching next series (if there is one). I think there is a very real chance of the bomb actually going off because I doubt the creators are afraid of killing two main characters and letting the team fail.

Yes, the stories are pretty predictable. Yes, the scripts and the acting could be better. Yes, it isn't on par with other British shows like Torchwood or the original Spooks, but it is still a pretty good spy series and despite the extremely bad reviews it has recieved I hope it at least gets a second series.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2008 12:05 AM BST

Stargate Atlantis: Season 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Stargate Atlantis: Season 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Stargate Atlantis - Season 4, 16 May 2008
I know this DVD isn't out yet, so I can't comment on the DVD itself, but I can comment on the series.

I started watching Stargate Atlantis before I started watching Stargate SG-1, and now I am up to season 6 of SG-1. Season 4 of SGA is overall very good, with fantastic episodes like Be All My Sins Remember'd and Midway, and seemingly pointless and bad episodes like Trio and Quarantine.

This season brings back most of the old characters, but has Col. Samantha Carter from SG-1 replacing Dr. Weir as the Expedition Leader of Atlantis. The overall story is the continuation and the eventually conclusion (sort off) of the Replicator storyline. Other storylines include Michael and Teylas pregnancy. Replicators and pregnancys I can live with, but seriously, the Michael should have ended at the beggining of season 3, with the Daedalus bombarding the planet with all of the human Wraiths on. Now, they have over done it majorly with Michael trying to create an army of superhumans, and Teylas baby is the key. The last few episodes are about this stoyline, and I just hope that after the first episode of season 5 they kill off this storyline for good.

Yes, some episodes and storylines are bad, but others are absolutly fantastic. Here is my full episode rating for the season.

Adrift (part 2) - 9/10
Lifeline (part 3) - 9/10
Reunion - 7/10
Doppelganger - 6/10
Travelers - 10/10!!!
Tabula Rasa - 9/10
Missing - 8/10
This Mortal Coil (part 1) - 7/10
Be All My Sins Remember'd (part 2) - 10/10!!!
Spoils of War (part 3) - 8/10
Midway - 9/10
The Kindred (part 1) - 7/10
The Kindred (part 2) - 7/10
The Last Man (part 1) -9/10

Overall, I think season 4 was great and I will probably buy the DVD after I eventually get round to buying season 3.

Can't wait for season 5!

Torchwood: Complete BBC Series 2 [2008] [DVD]
Torchwood: Complete BBC Series 2 [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Barrowman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sci-fi!, 20 April 2008
I really enjoyed the first series of Torchwood (even if it did have a bit too much sex in it) and was really excited about this second series.

Torchwood succeeds where Doctor Who stumbles, which is to create realistic storys and make them in such a way that is believable. I sometimes find that Who is too silly and unbelievable.

Overall, the second series is perfect. The first 8 or so episodes are fantastic, but a couple of episodes (namely Something Borrowed and From out of the Rain) are a bit rubbish. There is just something about them that isn't right. But then the series gets its act together with the last few episodes, espeically Fragments and Exit Wounds.

This series surpasses the last one mainly because it doesn't just rely on the sex, violence, gore and swearing as the first series seemed to. It has grown up into something much more mature and is up in the ranks of the best sci-fi series like Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and Stargates SG-1 and Atlantis.

Operation Hell Gate (24 Declassified)
Operation Hell Gate (24 Declassified)
by Marc Cerasini
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 April 2008
This is the first 24 Declassified novel in the series, but the second one I read. I first read Vanishing Point, and I was a bit dissappointed with it. So, I was hesitant to buy Operation Hell Gate. But I am so glad that I did.

It is centered around a terrorist plot to to attack various airports around the USA and, of course, Jack Bauer must stop it. It is a very thrilling novel, and stays true to the spirit of 24. It has all of the twists, turns, characters and gun fights that make 24 so enjoyable.

If you love 24, buy this book, and the rest of the 24 Declassified series, as they are also very good.

by J.C. Vaughn

4.0 out of 5 stars 24 - The Graphic Novel, 19 April 2008
This review is from: 24 (Paperback)
I wasn't sure about buying this at first, but when I finally did I was gald I did. This is a great spin off from the 24 tv series and all three of the stories (One Shot, Midnight Sun and Stories) keep the spirit of 24 as well as bringing something new.

The plots are pretty good, but Midnight Sun was a bit silly but still enjoyable to read. The other two are fantastic. The art on One Shot and Stories is brilliant, and Midnight Sun is good but not the sort of art I like.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this Graphic Novel and I hope to get 24: Nightfall soon.

Prison Break - Season 3 [DVD][2007]
Prison Break - Season 3 [DVD][2007]
Dvd ~ Dominic Purcell
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Prison Break - New Prison, New Break., 23 Mar. 2008
Prison Break is one of the best shows ever, and the first two seasons prove it. The third season will slightly dissappoint at the beggining, but later on it becomes much better and more in the spirit of Prison Break.

This season has Michael Schfield, Brad Bellick, FBI Agent Alex Mahone and T-Bag incarcerated in Sona, a hellish Panamanian prison, with no gaurds, no order and no chance of escape. I don't want to spoil why, but Michael is forced to try and break out another inmate, James Whistler. This will only be possible if he forges alliances with other inmates, and his brother, Licoln Burrows. Through out the season, you will see Lincoln do seemingly random tasks, which you only understand later on as they escape plan unfolds.

The only things I can find wrong with this season, is that due to the writers strike there are only 13 episodes instead of 22. Also, it would have been much better if they kept up the pace from the second season at the beginning of this one.

Overall, I think that Season 3 of Prison Break is worth it, even if it does very slightly dissapoint. The good news is that Season 4 will be a full season with 22 episodes, and the return of one of the most loved characters in the series.

Serenity Volume 1: Those Left Behind Hardcover First Edition (Serenity (Dark Horse))
by Joss Whedon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great prequel to the Serenity movie., 22 Mar. 2008
Even though it isn't aviaiable from Amazon directly, I bought the Serenity: Those Left Behind hardcover edition not expecting much, since the reviews I had put it down.

I was wrong.

This graphic novel is a great way to tigh in the cancelled tv series Firefly and the movie Serenity. I think comic book form is a great way to continue the saga of these lovable space pirates of the Firefly-class transport ship Serenity. The story is basically about the return and an old friend (well, enemy) and the chaos that ensues. You won't be dissappointed.

The book itself is fantastic. The front cover is so cool, and the speical features are cool as well (even though they appeared in the Firefly Official Companion, but I never bought that so it is ok). The only reasons I didn't give this 5 stars, is because i feel that they rushed the third issue of Those Left Behind, whereas they could have made it better by spreading it out into at least one more issue.

Apart from this, this is a fantastic prequel to the Serenity movie and sequel to the cancelled tv show Firefly. I have high hopes for Serenity: Better Days, which has already started and I hope they release that it hardcover first with no paperback.

EDIT: You have got to be joking! I bought this from someone else through Amazon marketplace because Amazon itself didn't have it in stock. And now, AFTER I bought it, they have it in stock!

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiny!, 26 Jan. 2008
I first discovered Firefly a few months ago, and ever since then I have almost hated Fox for cancelling this show. IT is about the crew of the Firefly-class transport ship Serenity, and how they are wandering the galaxy trying to find work, legal or otherwise. But when they take on two fugtives, they find themselves on the run from the Alliance, the all powerful government over the galaxy, while trying to avoid the flesh eating Reavers.

The Firefly universe is rich with characters, story, action, adventure, and even a little bit of comedy and romance. All of the 14 episodes are really great, but a few stand our more than the rest. The pilot, Serenity, is such a great introduction into the universe and the characters, that it is absloutly unmissable. The story is pretty good as well, with them pulling off a hiest but no one wanting to take the cargo. Out of Gas keeps up the drama of the situation, and continually keeps you thinking: "How the hell are they gonna get out of this one." The Message has a great story, and considering it was the last episode of the series aired, the ending is a great way to say good bye to the show.

The main reason Firefly was cancelled, was due to poor veiwing numbers, which were due to Fox showing the show's episodes in the incorrect order leaving people confused. The pilot was shown at the end, so nobody had any idea how the characters got where they were, who the Alliance was and why Reavers were so scary. If Fox had given it a chance, and produced a whole series and shown it in the right order, this show could have been a classic that lasted for years just like Stargate SG-1.