Profile for Peeta > Reviews

Content by Peeta

Peeta (Herts)

Page: 1 | 2
Nextbase 312GW Full 1080p HD In Car Dash Cam Camera DVR Digital Driving Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi
Offered by iZilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 3 Oct. 2016
Worked straight out of the box. Very good resolution and extremely easy to set up. Only gripe was USB lead could be longer.

The Pact
The Pact

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 17 July 2015
This review is from: The Pact (Kindle Edition)
This story is not my usual genre( being a fan of sci fi and thrillers) but because I am from Dublin and the setting was familiar to me I decided to give it a go. The story hooked me from the start, and drew me in further as I got to know the characters. The setting of Tallaght was familiar to me, though not having lived in Dublin for many years, I was shocked to read about it's seedy underbelly. It almost made me cautious of venturing there again. The story was brutal but had a line of morality going through it in the characters of Dean, and sometimes Leo, who felt they were latter day vigilantes. In reality they were mugs and violent ones at that. As the story panned out it was obvious there was no happy ending in sight, and what happened was inevitable. I would however have liked to see some of the real baddies get their comeuppance but perhaps that is for another book. My one issue with the book was that I heard the characters but never saw them. Maybe this was deliberate, but I for one like some physical descriptions to enable me to picture people and places. It was almost like it was written for radio. Having said this I enjoyed the book and I think this writer has a future in crime fiction.

Packing Cubes 4pcs Value Set for Travel - Plus 6pcs Luggage Organiser Zip Bags (Black)
Offered by OUTDOORS WISH LIST

5.0 out of 5 stars Cube Control, 16 April 2015
Just used these cubes for the first time in a cabin sized suitcase. I managed to get underwear and sockets in medium one, and tops and teeshirts in another medium one and the remaining clothes jackets jeans etc in a large one. All fitted in case with room in the sides for spare shoes. As the week progresses dirty clothes can be separated as kept away from clean. Great product and can't wait to try in large case.

Update on this product, I had cause to contact supplier as I had a problem with the smaller cubes. The communication from the supplier was excellent and they immediately replaced the cubes. I was amazed and delighted with their service and communication. I would definitely recommend the product and seller.

Flare
Flare

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Flare (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. When not reading it I was keen to get back to it. The story was well paced and the characters were likeable. I did have some concerns though, but not enough to put me off. I found that the disintegration of society came too fast, I have no doubt that it would happen in the way the author described, but I believe it would be perhaps slightly more gradual. I thought that the turmoil that occurred within a day of the flare was not realistic. Also within a couple of days the main character mentioned how he talked about what he did before the Flare, I just believe that the issue referring to before and after would be the sort of thing mentioned perhaps many weeks, even months after the event not a day or two. I just think it would take longer to sink in that there was a before and after, even if logic told us different. Also towards the end of the book when it seemed from the events that less than a couple of weeks had passed, they were describing the people as gaunt, underfed and skinny. Heck I have known people on near starvation diets for longer than two weeks and they did not reach that stage, and bearing in mind the latest reports on overweight been the new norm, I think it would take a bit longer for the British public to get to gaunt and skinny. Having said all this the book was an excellent read and my disagreement with the timings did not inhibit my enjoyment of a really good story that was well written. I would love to read a follow up.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 26 Oct. 2013
Lovely fascinator, sits well and looks good. Good value for the money. Perfect for a wedding when you want a hat but not hat hair.

Clone [DVD]
Clone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eva Green
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Clone [DVD] (DVD)
Not only did I find this film bizarrely creepy, with the idea of an obsessive woman cloning her deceased boyfriend in an effort to bring back her soulmate, it was also wrong on so many other levels. Firstly having given birth to, and breast fed an innocent little baby and then lovingly raised this child, the idea that you could consider the child anything other than you own offspring is beyond consideration. How many parents who lose a partner have offspring who resemble that lost loved one. You don't see them looking at their child in an unhealthy manner, unless of course they are perverted in some way. This creepiness aside, the total lack of conversation between mother and son, and the lengthy pregnant pauses, made the whole experience amazingly dull and boring. They whole story lacked reality, and the final scene was beyond disturbing. The other amazing aspect was the hut that they lived in was on the edge of the sea, in the middle of a beach, but it appeared to be serviced with electricity and broadband. I would love to know who their provider was. I would also love to know what face cream Rebecca used (or perhaps she had a painting in her attic) because she never aged in all the time it took her son to grow up. The acting was good enough, although they did not have to learn too many lines as the dialogue was minimal. It seems to me that this is a film that was made to appease the would be film buffs, as opposed to the majority of the general public, not for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 10:01 PM GMT

My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story
My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Going, 17 Sept. 2013
I agree with the dissenters. I found this book hard going and I struggled to finish it. I am also unsure as to whether the sisters were indeed twins. The mother disappeared for about a year and came back with Helen and married to Tommy. If Helen was indeed 18 months older than she was supposed to be then the disappearance must have been considerably longer than a year. Also when a baby is that young it is hard to hide eighteen months of their life. Even the most naive of people would notice the difference between a six month old and a two year old. The test for fraternal twins was later disproved. I also find it hard to believe a doctor would cover up the birth of twins to please the mother. Also if one twin was registered then surely the other would had to have been. When Helen travelled to South Africa she must have produced a birth certificate to get a passport, had it been a fake I am sure that would have come to light.

I sympathised with the girls been separated for so long but I think they seemed to fit the facts around their own desires. The story was interesting but not told well enough to hold attention.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 1:46 PM BST

Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)
Shift: (Wool Trilogy 2) (Wool Trilogy Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 30 Jun. 2013
I think these books are brilliant and I have been reading science fiction (along with many other genres) for years. I find them easy to read and the stories are excellent. What does sadden me is that the price of the next release, Dust (which I must add I am really looking forward to) is three times the price of the first book. Whilst I understand the first one was probably undervalued I believe the price of Shift was just about right, but I was quite surprised when I saw what was been asked for Dust, £10.79 for kindle edition. I am at a loss to understand why this is the case. I will still buy it as I am enjoying the stories so much, but I would not have started the series if the first book had been this expensive. I suppose that says it all.

Obedience
Obedience
by Jacqueline Yallop

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but difficult to like the characters., 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Obedience (Hardcover)
SPOILER ALERT!
This book was so depressing, there was nothing about it that endeared me to it. Whilst it was not badly written, the characters were all self centred, uncaring and unpleasant. The story centres around three nuns preparing to leave the convent they had lived in for more than half a century. They were all old and were being offered alternative accommodation in care homes. The main character Sister Bernard who was ninety three and her fellow nun Sister Therese who was a young seventy year old, were caring for Sister Marie who was suffering from dementia, and whose main contribution to the story was her inability to hold her bladder, and her wind problems. The story progresses to give more detail of Sister Bernard's younger days and in particular her relationship with a German soldier during the Nazi occupation of France. This relationship led her to betray a fellow nun(she did so, it would appear, not by accident but quite deliberately to impress him, and to help further his career) and caused the death of her best friend and two other villagers, one being a sixteen year old boy who had been brutally tortured prior to being shot. None of this seemed to penetrate the conscience of Sister Bernard whose main concern regarding the event was the loss to her, of her lover. It would appear that Sister Bernard was not overly intelligent( for which of course she could be completely forgiven) also she seemed to be suffering from some kind of mental disorder (she heard God talking to her, and he was not a particularly kind God). What I found hard to forgive about her was her complete lack of empathy. Her German lover sexually abused a child in the church, in such a disgusting manner in front of Sister Bernard and she appeared to think nothing of it, and yet she held a grudge against poor demented Sister Marie for having thrown some flowers away before they wilted some forty years earlier. Unfortunately there was nothing to like about her, or her fellow nuns for that matter. Sister Therese did not want to go into the home with Sister Bernard (and who would blame her) but felt obliged to stay with her so as not to leave her on her own with strangers. She wanted to live with an old friend instead, this friend(another not too pleasant character) deliberately setup the ninety three year old Bernard with the villagers who still hated her, in order for Sister Therese to find out about Sister Bernard's past and enable her to abandon Bernard with a clear conscience. Later in the book when Bernard was unwell and Therese was questioned by the doctor, she said " I do not know her that well" which seems to me a sad reflection on Therese's relationships with her fellow nuns, that she could live in close proximity to someone for fifty three years and not know them that well. It seems that this convent in France was devoid of any real human love and was populated by narcissistic people whose relationship with God seemed to preclude them from any real feeling towards their fellow humans.

There's Always Tomorrow
There's Always Tomorrow

1.0 out of 5 stars But I will never get back the yesterday I spent reading this!, 26 Feb. 2012
This book has all of the characters you would expect from a Catherine Cookson type of novel, saintly(to the point of amazingly stupid) talanted, clever, kind and downright good egg heroine, nasty nasty husband, kindly aunt who takes in said heroine, handsome kind doctor who falls in love with said married heroine, kind doctor's eccentric but equally kind mother, orphaned little girl, cute kids, and wonderful neighbours and jolly village times. In my life I have met many types of people but never anyone quite as talented good and downright kind as the heroine and never anyone quite as nasty and unpleasant as the hubby. Unfortunately they were not believable and the whole plot had a sort of 'we know what's going to happen' about it. There were also some glaring mistakes ie on page 27 Mary was talking to Dottie about 25 year old Michael, ' he's only two years younger than you', but on page 91 Michael reflects 'when she was eighteen and he was fourteen she went and married Reg Cox ' it would appear Michael aged faster than Dottie. Also at aged sixteen when Dottie's mother died she went to live with her aunt Bessie 'Aunt Bessie met her with a pony and trap which was enough to excite any little girl' not many sixteen year olds that I know would describe themselves as a little girl. On page 304 Patsy went out to look for the dog and Dottie had some tea, Dottie felt tired and she went to lay down and then fell asleep, when interviewed in the hospital she said Patsy and her had tea and Patsy felt tired and lay down and then Dottie joined her. The whole story has a contrived and done many times before feel about it. If you want to read the same rehashed tale, with the same as before ending, then this is the book for you.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 1:14 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2