Profile for pandora06 > Reviews

pandora06

DELL D620 LAPTOP - WIN7 - 80 GB HD - 2GIG RAM - DVD
DELL D620 LAPTOP - WIN7 - 80 GB HD - 2GIG RAM - DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Nov. 2014
Really pleased with this product. No problems and a quick delivery.

Portrait
Portrait

5.0 out of 5 stars An album for keeps, 17 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Portrait (Audio CD)
Josephine was the supporting act when I went to see Paloma Faith in York recently. There was just her playing acoustic guitar and a guy on electric guitar. What a sound. I loved her wonderful deep soulful voice, and on the strength of that performance, I ordered this album.

There is not a bad track on it IMHO. I have it on in the kitchen while I am cooking and have been seen bopping around to it which is very out of character. I do hope we see a lot more of this young lady, she is a great performer, and a real sweetie too as came across at her performance in York.

Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour Live With The Octavarium Orchestra [DVD] [2006] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Dream Theater

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely mesmerising, 29 Oct. 2011
I have just ordered this DVD for the second time so I can send a copy to my rock/metal fan brother. I noticed the 1 Star review under the title "Dross" and felt compelled to comment. I don't have a problem with the reviewer's opinion, each to their own as they say. It would perhaps be better though to say nothing when clearly he cannot recognise a virtuoso performance when he sees it.

I come from a classical music background and perform as well sometimes, but over the years have come to appreciate all kinds of music. My teenage son started to play the guitar a few years ago and went through the usual Metallica, Megadeath, Pantera phase, which to be honest, once I listened carefully, as I had no option but to do!)I realised that there is more to the music than just "noise". Then he started with a private tutor, a well regarded session musician in this neck of the woods, who introduced him to Dream Theatre, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Guthrie Govan. I hadn't heard of any of them prior to this, but what a treat it has been to get to know them. It says something that I and my 73 year old mother can sit through this DVD several times and still get that tingle down the spine. Of course not everyone will like this music genre, but I think you miss the point by referring to "seeing how fast they can play". They do it because they CAN?!! Because they have spent years crafting and perfecting their skills. Whatever musical taste you have, when you see playing like that, it deserves huge respect, whether you like it or not.

All About Creating Japanese Gardens (Ortho's All about)
All About Creating Japanese Gardens (Ortho's All about)
by Alvin Horton

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden paradise, 25 Jun. 2011
I ordered this book based on the previous reviews on here, and I am very glad I did. Having been to Tatton recently and been inspired by the Japanese garden there, I came away determined to try and achieve the same calm and beautiful surroundings in my own small back courtyard garden. As it is, I already have a lot of the plants and shrubs recommended in the book, but I needed a bit more guidance regarding design.

This book takes you through various styles and the elements needed to achieve them. The photography is wonderful too. I am really looking forward to being able to sit with my early morning cup of tea in a few weeks time in my hopefully serene outdoor space. Weather permitting of course.