Profile for Lover of English > Reviews

Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD]
Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shaun Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused about run time, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The product details state that the run time for this second series is 240 minutes or four 1-hour segments. This is very disappointing since the episodes in series one ran for an hour and a half each. Checking the offering on Amazon.com in the U.S. which will be released in July of 2014 the product details state that the run time will be 360 minutes. I don't understand how there can be this big a discrepancy (2 hours) between the product offered in the U.K and that offered in the U.S. Surely there is a mistake somewhere.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2014 10:11 PM BST

Downton Abbey - Series 4 [DVD] [2013]
Downton Abbey - Series 4 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Deleted scenes from the DVDs in both US and UK versions, 28 Aug. 2013
What I hope is that the producers will not delete scenes from the DVDs that are then shown in the TV versions. In Series Three there were 6 scenes deleted from Episode Three; in Episode Four 6 scenes were deleted; in Episode Five 6 scenes were deleted, and in Episode Six 11 scenes or dialogue were cut. When I buy a DVD I expect to get the full, uncut version of the original. Imagine my surprise and annoyance, not to say anger, when, after buying the UK version of the Series Three DVD several months before the production aired here in the U.S., to discover as I watched the PBS version that there were several scenes that were new. I received the Series Three DVD in November and by the time the series aired on PBS I had watched the series several times and knew the material by heart. I was going to bite the bullet and purchase the U.S. version of the DVD just to get the additional material but discovered on reading the reviews that material had been deleted from the U.S. version as well.

It is unconscionable that material from this beloved series is cut away in the DVDs. Most DVDs today have extra material, not less. Purchasers unite. Tell the producers of the DVD that we will not be buying future DVDs unless they contain the original uncut production.
Comment Comments (327) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2016 6:00 PM GMT

Downton Abbey - Series 3 [DVD] [2012] [3-Disc Set]
Downton Abbey - Series 3 [DVD] [2012] [3-Disc Set]
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Scenes shown in US not included here, 11 Feb. 2013
I am a U.S. resident who bought Season Three of Downton Abbey back in November last year and have been enjoying it ever since. Since I've seen it so many times I didn't watch when it first aired here on PBS but started to watch about mid-way through. I am very annoyed to find out that there are several scenes in each episode that are being shown on PBS that are NOT included in this DVD. I can understand truncating episodes to fit a TV format where time is a consideration. I cannot understand the reverse - truncating material to fit a DVD format where time is not a consideration. Does anyone have an explanation?

Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful antidote to Season Three, 11 Jan. 2013
I am a big fan of Julian Fellowes even when he is dancing around in fantasy land and presenting us with scenarios that are not physically possible (such as Bates's trial and Tom Branson's doctored drink). When Season Three came out I was thrilled. I received the DVD set in mid-November and watched it every day until about mid-December. I could hardly wait for the Christmas special in 2012. As much as I loved Season Three there is no question about the fact that the tone was very different from that of either Season One or Season Two. There was so much turmoil in Season Three and an unprecedented level of anger roiled throughout the whole season. Lord Grantham was angry; Cora was angry; Matthew was angry; Daisy was a shrew; Barrow & O'Brien were escalating toward what could have been a lethal outcome. The tension in Season Three was kept at an unpleasantly high level all through the eight episodes.

That is why Journey to the Highlands was so splendid. Everybody (except for the MacClares) is back on an even keel and we can enjoy the fine acting, the gorgeous scenery (that castle!) and the close-knit family dynamic - upstairs and down - that is so rare. There is hardly anyone in the cast that we don't root for. Even Thomas Barrow who has been the villain through three seasons seems to have some redeeming features. By the way, since he started the feud with O'Brien by causing Alfred to burn a hole in Matthew's tail coat in Season Three it seems a little off to have him wind up promoted at the end of the season. Someone's moral compass is askew.

The scenery in Scotland was breathtaking. How are they going to top this? As for Matthew's death - who cares. If Dan Stevens didn't want to be loyal to the series that made him world famous - let him go. He served his purpose anyway. He's produced an heir; he has set Downton Abbey on it's feet financially and he and Mary had a wonderful romance. The better romance however, is that of Anna & John Bates. If ever there was a potential smoldering leading man it's Brendan Coyle. He is a little bit pudgy but he could slim down and be another Sean Connery. I'd like to see him play the John Clark character in Tom Clancy's "No Remorse" and "Rainbow Six". Do we expect O'Brien to leave as well? I think Julian Fellowes set her up to go off to India with Susan MacClare at the end of the Christmas Special. O'Brien says she'd love to travel and I've heard rumors that she wants out of the series. I don't think Julian Fellowes can kill off everybody that wants to leave. I don't understand why so many people are jumping ship. This series could go on for at least a few more years. But, I suppose we don't know what the production dynamic is like. Maybe it's not a pleasant place to work.

Update: I see that Julian Fellowes is preparing to leap off the cliff without a parachute again or in other words he going to ask us to suspend our disbelief AGAIN. Notice that at the end of Journey to the Highlands when Susan tells Cora that she is prepared to have Rose come to Downton while Susan and Hugh are in India she says, "I can't bring her out from Bombay. Would you be prepared to handle all that?" What she is referring to is Rose's debut season. But consider: At the end of Season Three we were introduced to Rose and told that she was 18. Journey to the Highlands takes place "one year later" - thus Rose is now 19. Deer stalking in Scotland takes place in the fall. The current debut season is over. Therefore Rose can't come out until next year when she will be 20. This is absurd. No noble family would wait to bring out a daughter until she is 20. Rose would have had her season when she was 18, just like everyone else. Fellowes's blythe assumption that his audience members are idiots is becoming very wearing.

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Clairvoyant prosecuting attorney?, 11 Jan. 2012
I received my copy of the Downton Abbey Christmas special today and just finished watching it twice. What a marvelous addition to the Downton Abbey collection.

Downton Abbey Season 1, 2 and the Christmas Special deserve to be watched all dressed up and with champagne at hand. They have first-night star quality. I haven't seen anything this good in decades.

As a side note though, although this series is outstanding I would ask the writers to have a little respect for their audience and not ask us to have to suspend our disbelief so blatantly: in the courtroom scene, the prosecuting attorney used information that he could not possibly have obtained. When Mrs. Hughes overheard a conversation she related it only to Carson and he related it only to Lord Grantham. No one else knew about it - not even Bates. There is simply no way that the prosecutor could have gotten the information he used at the trial. I can see that the writers needed the trial to come out the way it did for dramatic contrast but please, you can do much better than this without insulting your viewers' intelligence. This is lazy craftmanship and so was lifting the flower show episode in Season 1 almost verbatem from the movie Mrs. Miniver. The writing is usually so good, the characters so believable, the acting so uniformly high, the photograpy so splendid and the overall storyline so marvelously compelling that incidents such as the trial and the flower show jump out as not belonging to this great series. Please don't do this again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 7:27 PM GMT

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
by J. K. Rowling

3.0 out of 5 stars Rowling's marriage and its impact on her output, 13 July 2011
I think we should all remember that when J.K. Rowling was writng the first few Harry Potter books her entire energy was directed toward the books and her daughter. That was apparently her whole world for several years. After her marriage, however there had to be more demands on her time, demands that took her concentration away from the Harry Potter series and I think that fact is evident in the last couple of books. They don't contain the energy, the excitement, the commitment to excellence previously shown in the first few Harry Potter books which were nothing less than glorious.

I came to the Harry Potter series very late. When I did, the first four books had been released. I read them in order then read them again and again and again - in fact twenty times before I moved on to something else. I fell completely under the spell of the Harry Potter world. It was a marvelous place to be - on so many levels. The creativity, the joy, the absence of horror that we see in the world around us today made these books the very best escapist literature that I had ever encountered. In fact, if you take away the magic, J.K. Rowling was describing an ideal world. At Hogwarts children were expected to be courteous to teachers. There were no armed guards in the halls; there were no drive-by shootings; there were no gang rapes; there was no drug trafficking - none of the things that make today's secondary education so abnormal. At Hogwarts the teachers were very strict with the students; at the same time they were very protective of them - exactly as adults should be with children in my opinion.

For a while I wondered who Harry was supposed to represent, since he was undoubtedly a force for good fighting an evil force. Could he be a Christ figure? No, for Christ was not a warrior and Harry clearly is a little warrior. Then I thought about who (in Christian mythology) was the ultimate good guy and the answer came - Archangeal Michael who drove the ultimate bad guy (Archangel Lucifer) out of Heaven. So I decided that Harry was a little Archangel Michael-in training. This was a wonderful fantasy that was sustained through Book five.

Everything seemed to fall apart in book six which was unfortunately for me somewhat boring and I was terribly disappointed in the ending of book seven. It was so prosaic. Plus there is a mystery there that I haven't seen explained in any interview with J.K. Rowling. What happened to the missing seven years. The end of the book seven states that it is nineteen years later but Harry's oldest child is only twelve. Did Harry & Ginny wait seven years to have children or to get married? That seems highly unlikely. I thought that Rowling was leaving us a clue that there would be further Potter et.al. adventures - maybe as aurors during the time before they settled down to have children - but so far, no luck.

I don't blame Rowling for the decline in quality of the latest books. She had a right to marry and have children and be happy. But these inevitably drained away her concentration on the series and the last couple of books suffered because of it. Or maybe she couldn't have kept up that super-high level of excellence no matter what happened. In any event I have the whole opus in my library and I re-read them all occasionally and watch the movies. As I write this the last movie installment is due out in the U.S. at the end of this week and I am really looking forward to it. These Harry Potter movies are the only ones I ever go to nowadays and no matter whether I love it or only like it I'll buy the DVD to complete the series as soon as it's available.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 11:53 AM GMT

Midsomer Murders: Talking to the Dead [DVD]
Midsomer Murders: Talking to the Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Nettles
Offered by Champion Toys

3.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled, 20 April 2011
I have now purchased the first 72 episodes but Talking with the Dead is not included and it doesn't look as though it is going to be included in The Eighth Collection. What happened to this episode?

Midsomer Murders: The Eighth Collection - Limited Edition [DVD]
Midsomer Murders: The Eighth Collection - Limited Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Nettles

4.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled, 20 April 2011
Can someone tell me why The Creeper is to be included in this 10-disc collection (The Eighth Collection) when it was included in The Seventh Collection.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2011 6:12 AM BST