Profile for Lingos > Reviews

Content by Lingos

Lingos (England)

Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'
Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars An energetic account of a great work, 10 Sept. 2006
This is my only recording of this symphony, so I cannot compare it to anything. However, I will say that the reason I only have this recording is becuase I feel that nothing can top this (although many others get glowing reviews as well). On many occasions I have bought a second and third recording of a piece and have been disappointed that they do not live up to the standards of the first.

In this recording Simon Rattle gives us a clear, energetic and emotional account of one of the all time great musical works. The CBSO are as good here as any other orchestra I've heard, as are the chorus. The CD sound is rich and of excellent quality throughout. Each movement is sparkling with energy and emotion, but the highlight must be the gradual build up of the final movement (at 35 mins long it is one of the longest ever)which makes for a mind-blowing finale. During the last few bars you can almost see the energy that Rattle and his musicians are putting into the music, although there is no sign of fatigue in the orchestra at all.

Any fan of this symphony would be a fool not to buy this, and I expect that many will have it as their first choice. However, if Rattle is given the chance to record it with the Berlin Phil then I would not hesitate to give that a listen.

Mahler - Symphonies 3 & 4
Mahler - Symphonies 3 & 4
Offered by KAOZI168 Classical_ ''Dispatch From London within 1 day ''

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money just for the 3rd, 4 Sept. 2006
At this price, it is worth it just to listen to the magnificent recording of the 3rd symphony - one of the best pieces of music of all time. I bought this recording because the box-set of these Tennstedt recordings recieved an excellent review, and that might be worth checking out as well.

For me, there is no better first movement. All eight horns in unison produce a mind-blowing opening, and I totally agree with Mr E Nutton's comment - 'Tennstedt kicks the door down' - he does exactly that. (If there is ever a symphony where the whole view of the recording could hinge on the opening 4 bars then this is it, which may seem strange). It is followed by an excellent trombone solo, and some more stunning horn playing. For those not satisfied then Chailly on Decca may be worth a listen.

As for the other movements, they seem to follow in a similar vein. Again I agree with Mr Nutton on the quality of the posthorn solo. If this part of the symphony does not make you feel more relaxed I don't know what will.

In the finale, there is plenty of good string playing, Tennstedt does the opening string section a touch faster than others I've listened to. Again stunning horn playing in their 'bits'. One thing i do feel is that the last note seems to tail off a bit prematurely, which makes for a slightly weak ending compared with the rest of the piece.

One drawback of the CD is that the 5th and 6th movements are on different discs, which is a big shame as you can't hear them straight after each other.

Overall Tennstedt gives us an excellent recording. I prefer this hands down to Claudio Abbado's live version, just as a matter of opinion. This recording is one that I urge all Mahler enthusiasts to add to their collection.

I apologise for neglecting the 4th symphony in the review - I am far less familiar with that, but it is definately worth the money just for the third.

Mahler: Symphony 8
Mahler: Symphony 8
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 8th by far, 24 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony 8 (Audio CD)
This was my first version of this symphony, and I have never been able to find a recording which matches it. It is without doubt one of my favourite Mahler recordings.

To be honest I don' think I ever will, as for a work like this, the first recording heard usually becomes the benchmark. For example, I much prefer Solti's brisker tempo in the opening movement to the slower, more spaced out versions (Chailly and Horenstein spring to mind)and I find myself trying to will the others on. The opening 'call-to-arms-esque' choral entry of 'Veni! Creator Spiritus' is the most striking as well.

One of the most important parts in this work is the organ, which is so much more prominent in this recording. Some of the soprano bits, especially in Part I, are divine.

Overall the sound is extremely well-balanced, with a slight emphasis on the brass in their passages but it never interferes. There is some slight distortion in the very first movement, and toward the end of Part II, which I would guess is the fault of the engineers, but again it doesn't cause problems.

No Mahler fan should be without this recording. Just get it...