Profile for A. P. Varcoe > Reviews

Content by A. P. Varcoe

A. P. Varcoe "Amyas" (San Francisco, CA)

Catch For Us The Foxes
Catch For Us The Foxes

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre-breaking, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Catch For Us The Foxes (Audio CD)
Having happened upon mewithoutYou's "January 1979" completely by chance, I was determined to check out more of their music. Coming from complete obscurity, this album proceeded to soundtrack my entire summer, and it was only some months later that I finally removed it from my regulars, promoted to the hallows of the 'favourites' stack...
This album defies compartmentalisation; from the post-Fugazi licks of 'Leaf' to the post-grunge of 'Carousels', each song entices you in and leaves you breathless for more. If I had been told I was listening to 'Christian rock' I would have been the first to drop these guys like a hot potato, but there's something viscerally genuine about Aaron Weiss's conversations with God.
The focus of this album is the struggle between faith and humanity, and to me there is no more powerful theme - from the Godly divine to the degenerate human - and mewithoutYou touch on all the bases on the way from Hell to salvation.

Oh, brothers, let's go down...
x a x

Black Coats and Bandages
Black Coats and Bandages

4.0 out of 5 stars Life-affirming, 19 July 2007
Having stumbled across a free download of 'There Will Be No Morning Copy' on Pitchfork, I bought this album. Clann Zu had already been a stalwart of my college radio show before I heard this CD, but this album only served to complete the circle.
From the first piano chord of "Black Coats & Bandages" to the last dying notes of "A Sudden Intake of Breath", this is an album that takes hold of your heartstrings and won't let go. Forget the occasionally-out-of-tune vocals and the proselytising lyrics, this is an album you should own.
For me the defining quality of an album is when I say "Damn, I wish I could have done that", and Clann Zú has those moments in abundance. From the coruscating guitar break on "One Bedroom Apartment" to the disjointed rhythm of "There Will Be No Morning Copy", the late lamented Clann Zú has been there and done that. I only hope that this album, from its giddy highs to its heart-rending lows, will give you the same experience.

"Grá mór, grá fior, grá an domhain, is é an grá is laidir."

Long may they smoulder.