Profile for Kim Groveman > Reviews

Content by Kim Groveman

Kim Groveman

Verity Red's Diary: A Story of Surviving M.E.
Verity Red's Diary: A Story of Surviving M.E.
by Maria Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and original, a great "companion", 29 Oct. 2010
I found this book quite inspirational and am amazed that someone with M.E. (quite severe I read elsewhere) has been able to produce such an upbeat and witty book. Not that it makes light of the cursed M.E. - far from it - but it certainly doesn't have an ounce of self pity within it's pages.

It is billed as a "Diary" and that's just what it is - it's not a novel as such (with a major storyline arcing throughout the entire book) but instead it has many small storylines that come and go as the year in question passes - just like life with M.E. funnily enough...

Of course Maria Mann's quirky sense humour may not be to everybody's taste, humour that comes out in Verity's occasional poems and the illustrations too, but I found it rather wonderful myself. I think the couple of rather negative reviewers here basically just "didn't get it" - which is fair enough as not everyone shares the same sense of humour. I did wonder though if, as sufferers themselves, they didn't for a moment try and imagine what a massive undertaking writing this book was for someone with M.E... I was surprised at some of the comments...

To conclude I would say that this book is a bit of a gem that would be a valuable companion to anyone that suffers with M.E. and an education to anyone that doesn't. I would agree with everything the previous positive reviewers have said!

I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Mr. P, 27 Oct. 2010
This book has so much going for it that I'm not sure where to start, so the following comments are not in any particular order.

He has developed Tiffany's character beautifully; in this story she is that bit older and wiser than before and the time has come for her to take her place amongst the other witches. She needs to stand her ground and earn their respect.

Of course the Feegles are always there to help (whether Tiffany wants it or not) and our knowledge of the character and ways of the Feegle is broadened to good effect.

The story itself has great pace and many fascinating twists and turns; like many a Pratchett book for me, it was over too soon. Not because the storyline didn't play out well, I just read it too fast as usual!

Having said my comments were not in any particular order, I do however find myself leaving what is for me the most impressive facet of this (and most of Terry Pratchett's books) until last. The man has such great wisdom regarding human nature; it's terrible flaws, sometimes grindingly sheep like apathy, but also heights of greatness. He imparts this in such a wonderfully non condescending way and this is what elevates his writing far beyond any "genre" that might be applied. This man speaks great and honest truths to us within his stories; with one of his books you will get a great tale, full of humour and excitement, but so much more as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2011 12:24 AM BST