Profile for Jarvis > Reviews

Content by Jarvis

Jarvis

The Great Charity Scandal: What Really Happens to the Billions We Give to Good Causes?
by Mr David Craig

1.0 out of 5 stars The real scandal here is that this got published, 26 July 2017
Big mistake buying this book. I give to charities and spent 3 years working for charities good and bad, it is a sector that I find interesting. I bought this book expecting to learn something. When it arrived I had to go back and check that I had been sent the right order. It looks like someone printed it at home, only 100 pages, and that’s with chapter 1 starting on page 11 not to mention the blank pages before every chapter. It took me less than 2 hours to read cover to cover. And that’s where it gets worse, it’s a predictable, tired, cliched tabloid rant at the sector. Unsubstantiated quotes about charity chiefs flying business class? Check – page 17. A pop at “administrators and middlemen”? Check – page 23. Wilful misinterpretation of charity trading cost of sales? Check – page 29. Dubious calculations on charity spending ratios? Check – page 32. Praise for China’s record on corruption? Check – page 80. Seriously.

The ‘solutions’ are just as bonkers. One in one out, penalising some of the most cost-efficient, effective grass roots charities. Great. Creating UN protectorates – the UN FFS! The ultimate failed state!

Ultimately I just don’t think the author knows much about the third sector. The introduction makes no claim of expertise and the book’s references betray him – not one single peer reviewed academic paper. Nearly half are from the press including the Daily Mail, Mirror and Birmingham Post. Judging by the high reviews, I think the scandal here is that people are reading this and believing it.

MiniSun Branded 3W Super Bright GU10 LED Bulb with 58 x 3527 SMD LEDs - 420 Lumens - Warm White
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter and a bit whiter than 50w halogen, 29 Aug. 2013
Very impressed with these bulbs - they are not as warm as halogen but appear brighter, work really well in a kitchen. I fitted 6w LEDs elsewhere at twice the cost of these bulbs and wish I hadn't bothered - have just ordered some more I like them that much.

Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap - Twin Pack
Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective but not perfect, 11 April 2012
I bought a couple of these (as a more expensive electronic repeller proved to be pretty useless) and have caught loads of mice over the last few weeks.

My success rate is about 60-70% as on occasions the food has gone with the trap sometimes sprung and other times still in position, would love to know how they do it... some more fine-tuning on the setting is probably in order

Apart from the unpleasant (ideally three-handed) task of peeling off the dead mouse from the sprung trap, the only problems are (1) they wake me up when tripped, usually the mouse has his last act of revenge as this tends to be 4 in the morning and (2) the last mouse that tripped it (2am this time, wide awake again) did not die and had to be introduced to Mr brick and Mrs paper bag in the middle of the night, this would give me cause to never leave the traps set and baited whilst out of the home to avoid unnecessary suffering.

Having said the above, all but one hits were instant kills and we have re-used the trap many times without it being damaged so I would highly recommend this product.

PS small pieces of hot cross bun seem to work for me
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 2:49 PM BST

EXPO: International Expositions, 1851-2010
EXPO: International Expositions, 1851-2010
by Jackson Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the balance I expected, 13 Oct. 2010
Three stars may be a bit harsh and is only part of the picture with this book.

The book is full of interesting facts and sets out a lot of the early feeling and history of the Expo concept starting back in the mid 19th century. There are a also a lot of enlightening images supporting the text that otherwise may never be seen owing to the temporary nature of most expos. Where the book is a little unbalanced in my opinion is the emphasis on a lot of the earlier Expos particularly London and the various Paris expos of the late 19th century. Post war is sorely lacking. Apart from plenty on Montreal 67 and Osaka 70, some of the large recent expos like Lisbon and Hannover barely receive a cursory mention. I also felt that the culture and history themes outweighed some of the more tangible aspects I was looking for in the book such as construction and legacy on the host city.

So with my interests in mind the book did not quite deliver what I hoped, but I am sure others may reach a different conclusion.