Profile for Lady Lavender > Reviews

Content by Lady Lavender

Lady Lavender (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Epsilon Magnesium Supplement - 200 mg, 120 Tablets - Best Magnesium Oxide Vitamins With High Absorption Whilst Reducing Fatigue And Supporting The Nervous System
Offered by Epsilon Creations

2.0 out of 5 stars The change is hard to swallow..., 13 Oct. 2015
What the heck's happened to these? They used to be oval and easy to swallow Now they are thick, round and chalky and I have to bite them in half to take them as I've choked on them twice. Not impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2015 10:21 AM BST

The Libertine [DVD]
The Libertine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

2.0 out of 5 stars Libertines don't have all the fun....., 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Libertine [DVD] (DVD)
Any character that addresses the audience directly by declaring, "you will not like me" is actually issuing a challenge to the viewer do the opposite and if he wholeheartedly and energetically pursues his ends - however vile or extreme - the viewer can't help but root for him. It's what the Duke of Gloucester does at the beginning of "Richard III" as we watch him connive and murder his way to the crown.

And this is why this film is set up to fail from the start. The problem is that we are never given the chance to witness Rochester before his decline which would almost certainly make him more engaging. Any pleasure he has derived from his life in the past has long since faded and for all the bawdy language, we don't actually see him engaging in much in the way of debauchery. For all his promise of being "up for it all the time," this never really comes across. Rochester's utterly jaded view of the world is so pervasive it's difficult to engage with him. It isn't that you don't like him - it's just impossible to care because you haven't witnessed the vibrancy, energy and "extravagant frolics" that characterised his youth.

As a metaphor for dissipation and wasted talent I suppose "The Libertine" works admirably - it's as unremittingly grim and grey as Rochester's later life - but it makes for an unsatisfying piece of drama.

Asylum [DVD]
Asylum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Natasha Richardson
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The deeper layers..., 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Asylum [DVD] (DVD)
What most people seem to have missed about this film is the hint that Stella herself has a dark past and that the marriage has already suffered some sort of previous crisis. At one point Max's mother asks whether she is "behaving herself and Max's remark about her being his "pet patient" is, I feel, a loaded one. Also, when Peter discovers Stella knows where Edgar is and has been seeing him, he threatens to have her committed. Even as the "Deus ex Machina" of the piece and puppet master of the affair, I'm pretty sure even he wouldn't do this to an someone with a previously unblemished reputation. It's as if everyone around Stella spends the film waiting for her to fall from a very unsteady perch.

The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty
The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty
by Caroline Alexander

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you wanting more, 22 Sept. 2011
For all this is a lengthy, detailed, well written examination of the Mutiny on the Bounty and it's aftermath, it still left me with little idea of what finally prompted Fletcher Christian to take the ship. Was it really the accusation of the theft of coconuts, a longing to return to life on Tahiti, a psychotic episode or, perhaps, drunkenness?

Alexander does attempt to outline the general reasons that may have been behind the mutiny but does not speculate about what might have been going on in Christian's head that fateful night. One might argue that it's not the job of a historian to do so but his utterances, to more than one crew member, at more than one time, about "being in hell" seem to me to demand at least a stab at some sort of an explanation.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 26 April 2011
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
I knew from the first sentence that I would love this story which probably has one of the best opening lines since "Pride & Prejudice". I also wish Neil Gaiman had been writing when I was young, as to have been able to appreciate "The Graveyard Book" as a child would have been very special I think.

It isn't a perfect story by any means. I wanted to know more about how the Jacks found out about Bod and more about Bod's parents. Also, as someone else mentioned, what it was they did the rest of the time. I also felt a bit short-changed by being denied the detail of the "work" Silas and Miss Lupescu were doing on Bod's behalf in other parts of the world.

However I did like the way in which the reader was given clues and allowed to make his or her own mind up - about what Silas is for example - and I did wonder whether the Man Jack was actually Jack the Ripper although he is never named as such.

It has been a long, long time since I have read a story I didn't want to end but this was certainly one of those. Thank you Neil, I shall definitely be adding more of your books to my wish list!

206 Bones: (Temperance Brennan 12)
206 Bones: (Temperance Brennan 12)
by Kathy Reichs

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot let down by dialogue, 1 April 2011
I have not read Kathy Reichs before, but, given that she is an actual Forensic Anthropologist and an academic I was expecting more from this book.

A decent enough plot was, for me, ruined by the dialogue, especially that between Tempe and Ryan which I found intensely irritating. I appreciate Reichs is attempting to put the frisson between them across but it doesn't have the ring of truth about it, it's too slick, too witty, too much of an act. This is how cops on cop shows speak to one another, not how real people speak to one another. Sadly It spoiled what was otherwise an enjoyable read.

Bang Goes The Knighthood
Bang Goes The Knighthood

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Mr Hannon!, 4 Aug. 2010
It happens every time. I listen to TDC's new album and think, "Oh it isn't as good as... insert name of previous album ..." Then I listen to it again and the songs begin to get under my skin and a week later I am playing the bloody thing to death.

I don't know how you do it Neil but I'm glad you do! :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 9:13 PM BST

One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
by Carol Ann Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and researched, 14 July 2010
A compelling exploration of what turned an apparently ordinary working class woman into a cold blooded child murderer - not that we will ever really know all the answers.

The best conclusion I can come to is that Myra (who always excelled at telling stories), disillusioned by the dull life she felt to be in store for her, decided to become the heroine in her own drama. Thus, as her story progresses, we get "yearning" Myra, "lovelorn" Myra, "submissive" Myra, "darkly secretive" Myra, "bravely stoical" Myra and, finally, "reformed Myra". She could never just be "ordinary" Myra. and that, I think, was her downfall.

As others have said, Carol Ann Lee skilfully tells the story in a way that does not demonise but merely highlights the inconsistency between Myra's words and her actions. Most damning is her affair with a policeman, which was known to Brady, which gives the lie to her later claim that she acted under duress because his possessiveness and jealously made her afraid of what he might do to her.

Just one minor inconsistency to point out: Holloway prison does not look out onto Holloway Road. It is Camden Road, which is where the Holloway Castle (presumably named after the old gatehouse that once formed the prison entrance) is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2012 4:27 PM BST

I Never Thought This Day Would Come
I Never Thought This Day Would Come
Offered by Bridge_Records

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing, 9 April 2010
Sadly I have to agree with the reviewers that have said they are disappointed with Duke's latest offering.

I discovered Duke Special when he was supporting The Divine Comedy at the Roundhouse and what struck me at the time was how his music was like nothing I'd heard before. The trouble with the tracks on "I Never Thought This Day Would Come" is that half of them DO remind me of something I've heard before, from the John Lennonesque "Those Proverbs...", to "Diggin' an Early Grave" with it's pumping, "Madness style" beat and "Let Me Go" with it's echoes of The Divine Comedy's "Here Comes the Flood", while the other half are definitely "Duke" but all sound the same. I also don't like the use of the female vocalist other than on the title track.

Yes the tunes are catchy, toe-tapping, stick in the mind - but not in a good way, like those on "Songs From the Deep Forest".

Less drum and more strings next time please Your Grace....

The Little Black Book of Style
The Little Black Book of Style
by Nina Garcia

1.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately useless, 22 Feb. 2010
Very pretty to look at but nothing about dressing for your colouring, age or body shape. Plenty of celebrity name-dropping and the assumption that we are all loaded enough to afford handmade shirts and Hermes bags.

This one's going straight to the charity shop!

Page: 1 | 2