Profile for Four Violets > Reviews

Content by Four Violets
Top Reviewer Ranking: 777

Four Violets (Hertford UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rapesco Display Book - A4, 20 Pocket
Rapesco Display Book - A4, 20 Pocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my purpose, 30 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted this to store and display A4 photographs that I have printed off, and it is perfect for that. The black folder is quite bendy rather than firm and the plastic inserts (top loading pockets) are fastened to the inside spine. It's good for storing and keeping things up together and there is a clear plastic area on the thin back spine and left hand side of the front cover that you could slip a label down into. Very good value for money.

After You'd Gone
After You'd Gone
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great film this would make, 30 Nov. 2016
This review is from: After You'd Gone (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book very much but definitely more as the book progressed, and towards the end I was totally hooked. There are several mysteries that are introduced early on and keep us wanting to find out more, the characters are strong and believable (though perhaps John is a little too good to be true, but as seen through the eyes of love, that's understandable!) and the depiction of grief is moving and the whole book is so well written. I wonder if this will end up as a film - it would certainly make a good one.

One odd thing about my book, towards the end it suddenly skipped a whole chunk of pages, to my relief they were there but I had to skip backwards and forwards to find them all.

Aveeno Baby 223 ml Soothing Relief Emollient Cream
Aveeno Baby 223 ml Soothing Relief Emollient Cream
Offered by Lucan Pharmacy

3.0 out of 5 stars May suit some, 27 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From the age of six months I had infantile eczema, resulting in severe scratching to the extent my hands had to be tied to the sides of the cot - so I'm told - a barbaric practice! So any cream that will soothe irritated or dry skin on a baby is to be welcomed. However I would be a little cautious with this - if your baby has normal skin it will probably be fine - but on my own skin I found it resulted in my skin being a little itchy. In addition afterwards if the skin is rubbed I find the cream comes off the skin in little lumps. I have looked at the list of ingredients and have no idea what my skin is reacting to. I would try it on yourself before you put it on baby.

Derma Treatments ph Balancing Day Moisturiser 50 ml
Derma Treatments ph Balancing Day Moisturiser 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cream for those winter months, 27 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately my office building is quite old and as such in the winter months the heating is either on or off resulting in my skin having to both cope with the effects of cold and essentially tropical humidity on a daily basis. I have now been using this for two weeks and my skin has definitely improved over this period. Normally I don't get on with moisturisers as they usually moisturiser too much leaving my skin oily as a result, but this cream is great as it is lightweight and absorbs into the skin easily. I had no adverse reactions and the benefits lasted all day. I did not have to use much just a pea sized amount so I think though the bottle is small, it will last at least 2 months of daily application, maybe more. Other reviewers have commented on the floral smell, but this never really bothered me and to be honest I don't even think I would have noticed if it had been pointed out.

A small downside is I am not that keen on the look of the product and feel the box the product comes in is nicer than the bottle, but only slightly, and at an original price of £77 I would hope that it would have more of a luxury feel. However, if you're just looking for a really good moisturiser then this is a great little product.

Martha Hill - Evening Primrose Nourishing Cream 50ml
Martha Hill - Evening Primrose Nourishing Cream 50ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Please come back into stock soon, 27 Nov. 2016
A very dense rich cream brilliant for moisturing skin prone to eczema. I hope it comes back in stock soon because its a real find especially during winter. It makes the skin a little shiny and I wouldn't wear under make up but in the evenings, or when giving my skin a much needed weekend break from make up

Martha Hill - Evening Primrose Moisturiser 50ml
Martha Hill - Evening Primrose Moisturiser 50ml
Offered by Beauty Naturals

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, 27 Nov. 2016
A smart looking little pot with a separate lid under the screw-off lid. The cream is white, neither too runny nor thick, with only the fainest of pleasant scents. It initially leaves the skin a little shiny but rapidly sinks in leaving the skin feeling intensely moisturised and soothed. I have very sensitive skin but had no problem at all using this.

Derma Treatments Energising Superfood Nutrition Oil 30 ml
Derma Treatments Energising Superfood Nutrition Oil 30 ml
Offered by Feel Like Beauty

3.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely smell..., 24 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit sticky, it doesn't soak in particularly well and it comes with an eye dropper type top so you have to drop it onto your hands first, and it doesn't soak into them either. I didn't really notice it energising or feeding my skin at all. One plus is that it smells really lovely, a proper old fashioned roses smell.

Levivo Foldable Wardrobe, Metal, Dark Brown
Levivo Foldable Wardrobe, Metal, Dark Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, pity about the colour, 24 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had one of these a few years ago and was not very impressed but this is much better. A bit of a challenge to put together but once up very sturdy feeling. Holds quite a lot hanging and folded. Yucky colour but overall a great product.

The Bible For Dummies
The Bible For Dummies
by Jeffrey Geoghegan

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating, scholarly read, 20 Nov. 2016
This review is from: The Bible For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What an intriguingly titled book, making it irresistible to me. Many decades ago I studied Religious Studies at University, mainly focusing on Christianity but also some Judaism and Islam. I wondered what I would remember and so many memories were triggered.
This book does not disappoint. It is written, as all the Dummies books are, in a very accessible style which I believe anyone could understand – as well as enjoy, because the tone is very humorous and light. However, that belies the profoundly vast amount of scholarly knowledge and research that lies behind this densely packed volume. The authors have translated the original texts (from Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic) themselves, they are both University professors and have several other books and articles about the Bible and have travelled extensively in the lands of the Bible and participated in archaeological digs at biblical sites. Tongue in cheek, or perhaps only partly, they refer to their translation of the Bible as the Revised Dummies Version. That rather staggering fact alone is deserving of respect and full attention!
I intended to dip in and out of the book and have done so, however I did start at the beginning and was unable to tear myself away from the recounting of the Bible from Genesis on, as there are so many fascinating snippets of information, as the authors dart from literature, art, and film that reference the Bible, and look at other faiths. There are some passages of “technical stuff” and many examples of the pitfalls of translation: I especially liked that Michelangelo’s Moses with horns is a result of a mistranslation of the word qaran which means his face was radiant rather than be-horned… I also loved the inset about Shakespeare and the “Bible Code” – about coincidences relating to Psalm 46 – try counting back 46 words from the beginning and end! What do you get?
I can remember being taught that Jesus never declared himself to be the Messiah in the sense of the Jewish warrior/freedom fighter foretold in the Old Testament, when he was asked: Are you the Son of Man he merely replied: You say that I am.
I found an interesting or amusing fact on every page. And that’s the joy of this book, to arouse enquiry and send you back to your own Bible to read more.

Farewell to Upton Park: The Official Celebration of West Ham United's home 1904-2016
by Lee Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Football and local history, 20 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A beautifully bound and presented volume which would look good on any coffee table. It's weighty tome, weighing in at 1.47kgs.
The selection of evocative photos taken over years reflects just how much a football club means to a very close knit community, which was West Ham in the east end of London. It is not just a football book but more a history of that area and the characters who lived for 3pm on Saturday and the atmosphere under the floodlights at Upton Park, all superbly put into professional photographs and insightful text.
Sadly this time will never come again. As every football fan will know Upton Park was said a sad farewell when the team moved to their new home, the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, after an amazing 112 years.
For fans of football and the era this will leave a warm glow.
One slight let down is the front cover, the photograph chosen is muddly and unrepresentative of the contents.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2016 5:19 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20