Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Clumpety Bump
Clumpety Bump
by Phil Allcock

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun picture book, 12 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Clumpety Bump (Paperback)
I read this book to my class today during story time and they absolutely loved it.

This is a story about a lazy horse, who can't be bothered to take his owner - Wally, where he wants to go, he ends up causing trouble and Wally leaves him behind one day.

This is a silly book that the children loved, it had repetition in it, which the children loved to join in with. This book also has some of the days of the week in, which helps them to know the order of the days, it would have been nice if the author had extended this and we could have read about all 7 days.

Overall though the book is beautifully presented and one that children will want to visit time and time again.

Domina: More dangerous. More shocking. The thrilling new bestseller from the author of MAESTRA (Maestra 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Second in a trilogy, 10 Sept. 2017
This is the second book in a trilogy - I hadn't read the first book but think that this doesn't really matter as I was able to pick it up fairly easily. I did have a bit of a problem knowing about her murdering past but it fell into place eventually. I gathered that after having got herself into a mess as Judith Rashleigh in the first book she had to change identity and became Elisabeth Teerlinc in the second. Elisabeth's new identity is an art gallery owner in Venice who has a luxurious lifestyle buying and selling works of art to the rich and privileged. All seems to be going well until a Russian oligarch contacts her via an intermediary and wants her to value his private collection and who is also after a Caravaggio drawing on linen which he wants and intends to get her to obtain it for him. She knows that Caravaggio didn't do prep drawings of his paintings and this must therefore be a fake which leads her to wonder why then the Russian wants it. This situation quickly becomes dangerously threatening for Elisabeth and her new identity which brings Judith out to find out who has threatened to expose her new life.

Naturally we need to have art reference here and being interested in art I did like this aspect but I did feel that in some cases it was a bit overkill in that it started to become more of a history of Caravaggio that focusing on the action in the book. I found the main character very hard and almost masculine, several times at the start of the book I had to remind myself that this was a woman. Lack of softness and empathy in the character added to the masculine feel for me.

I didn't really connect with the character, she was so cold, so calculated, so manufactured that it was just a 'story' for me not something that I could buy into or find plausible.

I did enjoy aspects of the book and for that reason will give it 3 stars and would be interested to read the last in the trilogy if only to find out if Elisabeth or Judith prevails and what she becomes in the end. An acceptable holiday read.

I Heart Forever (I Heart Series, Book 7)
I Heart Forever (I Heart Series, Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it!, 7 Sept. 2017
Lindsey Kelk is one of my favourite authors, I absolutely love her writing style, she always has me grinning from ear to ear and racing through her books. This, I heart Forever is no exception!

Now, if you don't know Lindsey Kelk and haven't read any of her novels before, all I can say is where have you been? This is obviously not the best book to start with, being 7th in the series but this is a must read, so you have to start from the beginning!

Although this was predictable it made no difference to my enjoyment of the book, being back in Angela's world is like going home. Angela and Alex are still happily married and Angela is now an editor Gloss, a woman's magazine. Everything is going well for Angela until Alex tells her he wants to go travelling around South Asia, this is something he has always wanted to do, but has limited time working in a band. After a gap in their schedule, he decides this is the perfect time to jet off, but that is without Angela. Not to worry, Angela now has a wedding to look forward to!

This is a perfect installment to the I heart series, this is a comfort read, which will make you want more. I am assuming this is the last in the series, which is a shame but I guess all good things have to come to an end at some time. If this really is the end of the series I do hope Lindsey has something up her sleeve as I have been left wanting more from her.

The Sun in Her Eyes
The Sun in Her Eyes

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite but still enjoyable, 24 Aug. 2017
Paige Toon is one of my favourite authors and I always get excited when I hear she has a new one coming out.

Amber is heading off to Australia, her dad has just had a stroke, which has prompted her to go, but being made redundant has also helped, she needs to get away. Her husband, Ned has just been promoted and is unable to go with her. Amber believes his boss only promoted him as she fancies him and now they will get more time together abroad on conferences this plays on her mind.

It doesn't take long when Amber is back in her childhood home to get swept along in her old life with her teenage friends. Ethan used to be her best friend, they drifted apart and he married Sadie, Amber has never liked her but they have two girls together and she is pleased for him.

There were parts of this book, where I didn't agree with Amber's actions and I was actually disappointed with parts of the novel. It didn't sit well with me and I feel the 'big reveal' from the letter Amber received was a little bit of a let down, Paige could have made so much more from her mothers final words.

This is an enjoyable read, one that is great for holiday around by the pool. This was not my favourite novel by Paige, however it will still be added to my collection on my bookshelf and if like me, Pairge is one of your favourite authors I recommend you read this one.

Destination India (The Lonely Hearts Travel Club, Book 2)
Destination India (The Lonely Hearts Travel Club, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the series, 24 Aug. 2017
I have previously read Destination Thailand and also Katy Colins new book Chasing the Sun, which is also part of the Destination series. Although I haven't read these in order, it has made no difference to my enjoyment of the novels. I still have Destination Chile to read, I'm looking forward to that!

So we are back in Georgia Green's world and Ben and her are running a travel company, when they start receiving bad reviews for one of their most popular tours (India, Golden Triangle) Georgia decides to take matters into her own hands and go undercover out there to discover what the problem is. Her trip is not plane sailing and there are many dramas along the way.

Although I really enjoyed this novel, I did prefer the first in the series Destination Thailand, I believe it's because there was more about the country and the surroundings in it, this followed a character and how to help him, it felt more like a mach making/love story, which was different to the first in the series.

I took this book with me to India, while I was on the Golden Triangle tour and I think this also added to my enjoyment, I must say that I feel Katy captured India very well.

If you have read any of Katy Colins books then you should read this one, it is a good addition to the others in the series and I can't want to meet Georgia in Destination Chile next.

Written in the Stars
Written in the Stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Found this repetitive and boring, 24 Aug. 2017
Oh dear, I found this very boring and repetitive, the ending was so predictable and I found I was really having to make myself carry on reading it. I have to admit I skim read from about the middle of the book as I had really lost interest and only wanted to finish it in case something worthwhile happened, it didn't. I could not connect with Bea who I found boring and indecisive to the point of wanting to throttle her (never a good sign) and I didn't really like her overbearing best friend Milly either. The endless references to flowers and plants was maddening as was her continual references to her father and his pointless letters giving her advice comparing everything to horticulture.

The concept was fine but not a fresh idea and frankly this has been done much better as others have pointed out in 'Sliding Doors' and Ali Harris did not bring anything new or exciting to her take on this idea. From a promising start it just seemed to fizzle out and finished up a mediocre novel and one that is easily forgotten. Sorry Ali I can only give you a 2 star rating for this one, it would have achieved more if you had injected a little life into it.

An Act of Silence: A gripping psychological thriller with a shocking final twist

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 24 Aug. 2017
The story revolves around the relationship between a mother and son which is tested when the son is tangled up in a murder. The mother is a former Home Secretary called Linda Moscow whose career ends when she is exposed for a 'cash for contracts' scandal that culminates in her being disgraced and leaving public life, she has almost become a virtual recluse. Woken in the early hours by her son Gabriel she faces a dilemma when he tells her about having met a woman called Mariela whom he invited back to his flat for the night when they had sex and she left. Mariela's body has been found in the allotments that back on to his property which obviously implicates him, he assures her he is being framed and begs her for help. She has in the past put her son first and sacrificed her principals for doing so and when she doesn't instantly jump to his rescue he takes this as meaning she doesn't think he's innocent so Gabriel takes what he thinks is his only option and goes on the run.

The police, having learnt that he has absconded, advise Linda it's in her own best interests to leave her home in case he comes back and is a threat to her safety. Before Gabriel appears Linda has been working on a sexual abuse of minors scandal involving one of her political colleagues and Linda didn't uncover this when she was in a position of power and could have done something about it. She now has a chance to put things right but now has the additional problem also being faced with either helping or condemning her son.

It is a cleverly woven novel but I really struggled to get into it perhaps it was the style of writing or perhaps the subject matter but I couldn't feel comfortable or entertained by this novel - that doesn't mean it wasn't good it just means it didn't appeal to me it just left me feeling a bit flat. I didn't feel it really delivered in terms of a satisfactory read and would be really hard to recommend it because of this. I think it deserves a 3 star rating from me and so sorry I felt I couldn't give it more.

The Fourth Monkey: A twisted thriller - perfect edge-of-your-seat summer reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 21 Aug. 2017
I loved this book, everything you could wish for from a crime/psychological thriller. Full of dark and disturbing events and clever plot twists make this a compulsive read. I read this in 2 days and it kept me up half the night because I couldn't put it down - a masterpiece in writing. Often disturbing but never a disappointment it will keep you awake until the wee small hours and stay in your mind for a long time to come.

I won't re-tell this as you probably have read the blurb and other reviews and I don't want to review this and give anything away which is pretty hard to review and not to do. Its a gripping serial killer thriller that has to be read and has a fantastic finish which was not at all predictable. I can't say anymore for fear of spoiling this so I won't I'll just say this is the best book I have read in a long time and can't wait for the sequel for there surely has to be one. Have to give this one a 5 star rating - couldn't fault it, brilliantly written, clever, pulls you in right from the start and speeds you through a roller coaster of events and doesn't disappoint with the ending - just brilliant.

Don't Close Your Eyes
Don't Close Your Eyes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Drama, 8 Aug. 2017
This was the second Holly Seddon book I have read and I really enjoyed it.

We follow the story of two families who come together, in perhaps not a way you would expect. Robin and Sarah are twins and as a reader you jump back from the past to the present day to understand their lives and how they have become the people they are today. The format is of short chapters alternating between Sarah and Robin, to begin with I was so pleased there were short chapters, I thought this would allow me to dip in and out of the book easily, however this gave me that 'just one more chapter' feeling and I ended up staying up late at night to finish it.

I felt that I was living in the family with the twins and I felt the heartache they felt. I couldn't believe what I was reading at times and had no idea if that was me, how I would feel about it. I also enjoyed the side plot with Callum, their stepbrother.

I didn't guess most of the story, I had worked out what had happened to Sarah while she was in Atlanta before it happened, but I didn't see anything else coming. I think I was more shocked about Callum than I was by the twist at the end. I did feel a little let down at the end because of this, it had built so much memento and I thought something else was going to happen, which personally I think would have been more shocking. Don't get me wrong, it is a good book and if you like psychological thrillers you will enjoy this like me, but I thought it was a little underwhelming.

This book though is a quick read and one that I really enjoyed, I loved all the drama between the families and reading about their different lives. I felt that it was a book I could really get into, which I haven't been able to in a long while.

This is a good read and one you should give a go if thrillers are your thing, I am glad I had the opportunity to read it and I certainly would pick up more Seddon novels. For me the only thing letting it down was the ending, which is why I have given it 4* and not 5.

iphone 7 Case,uiano® Bling Bling Glitter Detachable Ultra-Thin Electroplating Technology Soft Gel TPU Silicone Back Cases Cover for iPhone 7 [Rose Gold] [Lifetime Warranty]
Offered by Uiano

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product., 8 Aug. 2017
Does exactly what it says, protects your phone well. This is a silicone cover, which comes with a glitter sheet inside it, you can remove this if you wish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20