Profile for Cylon Hindenburger II > Reviews

Content by Cylon Hindenbu...

Cylon Hindenburger II

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Daniel's Fork: A Mystery Set in a Post-Apocalyptic Future
Daniel's Fork: A Mystery Set in a Post-Apocalyptic Future

4.0 out of 5 stars Emtional, 8 May 2015
Complex characters blend a murder mystery into a beautifully crafted dystopian sci-fi that retains a certain classic romance style as the clocks have been turned backwards and people live a simpler lifestyle than our modern day; there is nothing to dislike about Daniel’s Fork. It is emotional and at times racy but the words flow so wonderfully it is not a cheap erotica, more like of Bronte tried to write while stuck in Philip K Dick’s head. An interesting prose, a nice start to something deeper and all in a great read.

Crushed Gardenias: A Short Story (Rae Hatting Mysteries Book 0)
Crushed Gardenias: A Short Story (Rae Hatting Mysteries Book 0)

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff., 27 April 2015
A simple but effective twist ends this great mystery story rather abruptly, leaving the reader aching for more as it is written with an ease that sinks you right into the scene from the word go. It is clear that this author is more than capable of building the layers to a longer novel, and Crushed Gardenias will make you seek out other books by the same hand but handles the short story with equal expertise, but for now this is a really great introduction and well worth the read. Great stuff!

Clockwork Twist : Waking
Clockwork Twist : Waking

4.0 out of 5 stars Clock working with added twist., 22 April 2015
Not for the sake of interest, just purely due to time I admit that I haven’t read so many steampunk books, yet. Of course I do love the ninth art legend, Alan Moore and relished in the last series of Dr Who with its gorgeous Victorian portrayals but now I am already diving into a whole new angle of its ever meandering tangents with Emily Thompson and her, what I see as, uniquely designed fantasy world, wrapped neatly under the banner of “clockpunk.”

Combining a geographically diverse universe of classic mutations and creatures from animalised spirt guides to vampires with some truly original creations, of which the protagonist is of no exception, Emily packages it all together in a magical, fairy-tale styled world where steampunk is only the peel of an apple that’s core is full of more wonder than you could guess at the beginning of this fabulous read. The clockwork professor that is Twist has a completely original persona and a magical power which sees him headhunted by airship pirates for a mission to fix a clockwork princess. So out of his hermit life in the dark, dank streets of a Victorian London he takes off unwittingly on a Gulliver style adventure.

What struck me as unusual about this read was that despite its setting and fantasy element it is not written with an archaic style such as Verne or Dickens, it has no Victorian splendour, rather it reads in a very contemporary fashion, almost verging on a modern American TV series script, or even, dare I say it, romance novel. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but I did get slightly dissuaded by the constant usage of the word “said,” when no one here seems to yell, shout, bellow or whisper. I don’t know why this was overlooked when the author seems to have an extensive arsenal of vocabulary at her disposal. I feel that this is a minor criticism and had not the concept of the book been as engaging as it was I may have been put off. My insignificant rant over I really enjoyed this book, a first in a series which is see developing into a cult of sorts. It has the right elements for fantasy and magical uniqueness and it has its popular style which reads without riddles.

In summary then, an entertaining, magical and original read that I would highly recommend.

Revenge Is Sweet
Revenge Is Sweet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read for all., 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Revenge Is Sweet (Kindle Edition)
Yeah you guessed it, pushing my eclectic tastes to the borderline again; chick-lit just isn’t my normal cup of tea but I do know what I am letting myself in for this time having read this book’s prelude “Saving Emma,” and other of Maria Miller’s books. What I continue to love about Maria Miller is her ability to twist and turn a plot, taking a romantic narrative is too easy a ride; her books have a thriller edge with a controversial angle and for that reason they turn a new corner for the genre and allow people that wouldn’t normally reach for it bend over backwards to dive into their gorgeous but often shocking portrayals. Revenge is Sweet is of no exception, in fact I think it sums up this general ethos of the author’s work rather splendidly.

The narrative continues on from “Saving Emma,” where after cancer steals his wife Luke enters a vicious circle of destruction, fuelling it with alcohol and procrastination. Miller details his attitude with wonderfully descriptive pieces, setting the scene up for an exceptionally sly if rather hypothetical plot of revenge against humanity. Yes, without too many spoilers it doesn’t sound like your run-of-mill chick-lit, but the twist is the return to the sunny side of street with a newfound love. However once the wheel is in spin it is hard for Luke to hide his wrongdoing to the object of his affections and thus we have the suspense that rides this book above your average read. Fantastic read for all, gripping for a romance and fervent for a thriller.

Audubon: The Dream That Wouldn't Die
Audubon: The Dream That Wouldn't Die

4.0 out of 5 stars A chirpy review!, 23 Feb. 2015
Working outside in the early hours of the morning one gets to appreciate the sounds of nature, at least when I neglect to charge my iPod. I took note just this morning that the prospect of spring was around the corner when I heard the birds singing in the trees. Ok, so not half hour later the thought was clouded by a sudden downpour of sleet and snow but you get the general idea, everyone loves the sound of the birds singing their spring song.

John James Audubon had a serious “thing” about birds, well over the border of obsession and into enthusiasm’s city centre. He set himself a mission to record by sketching all the ornithological species in America, I am not showing off and hold my hands up to admit that I knew none of this until I read this quick book. Sharon Delarose gives us his informative and inspiring rages-to-riches biography which acts as a motivational implement for anyone set out to achieve a goal in life; particularly in the field of writing I feel. As I read this I could not help but suspect that the author has a personal admiration of Audubon as this book, though short is clearly written with honour and respect and asks the reader some open ended questions about their own thoughts during the story, which is nice and reflective of their own personal quests.

These are the reasons I liked this book and not that it got my mind racing with mention of a “Booby Island,” and that is my story and I’m sticking to it!

Prescription for Disaster: The funny side of falling apart
Prescription for Disaster: The funny side of falling apart

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, inspiring, oh yeah and funny too., 22 Feb. 2015
As an avid reader and writer I often get asked what my favourite genre is and man, I hate that question. I don’t want to put books into boxes (you can’t read them if they’re in a box now can you?) rather I favour to find books that are different, original and if possible, funny. This is not an easy task, so many clichés and banalities lie out there through influences and contemporary twists on the archaic narratives and what is more, bad senses of humour.
So to outline the design of Candace Lafleur’s “Prescription for Disaster,” one might be excused by thinking that this book sounds like the sad rants of a hypochondriac and far from the originality and good humoured read I was searching for but I can assure you now nothing could be further from the truth. Candace is the exact opposite of a hypochondriac, using humour as a mechanism to deal with the tribulations of her disease (a rare condition known as sarcoidosis) and the madcap mishaps of her Calamity Jane life.
So as we go on a real life journey with Candace in a kind of personal blog or secret diary fashion we take with us the feeling that she is not only one unfortunate individual but that she has taken heed of the words of Monty Python and looks always on the bright side of life. She sprinkles the fact and pain of her condition and the fact that a concoction of terrible events seem to happen to her with some very amusing anecdotes that will have you laughing through the tears.
With some peculiar touches such as the Americanisms set in England (Candace is a Canadian living in the UK) where pants meaning trousers I can accept but I had a hard time swallowing “downtown London!” this book is a real treasure of pragmatism, unabridged originality, sublimely funny and also very inspiring. So hats (and gowns) off to our brilliant but often higgledy-piggledy NHS for influencing some of this author’s most prominently hilarious tales of sorrow and join with me in wishing Candace, who through this book, I feel like I know like a personal friend now, all the best of health and continued happiness.

A Demon's Quest: The Beginning Of The End
A Demon's Quest: The Beginning Of The End

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 1 Feb. 2015
There is definite style at work here, creating an original fantasy world and it doesn’t hang around for you catch up with it. Battles activate from the very start, the plot thickens as quickly as plaster of Paris. Any fan of Dungeons and Dragons would be at home here although I sensed a more Chinese classic influence of Wu Cheng-En than that of Tolkien, which made it action packed and dramatic, not wasting time for epic saga. A great read for all fantasy fans.

Kyrathaba Rising (Kyrathaba Chronicles Book 1)
Kyrathaba Rising (Kyrathaba Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 22 Jan. 2015
The opening of this book, for the first couple of chapters made me quite sceptical about what I was getting myself into, it felt like a poor man’s Marion Zimmer Bradley paperback, a rather one dimensional sci-fi notion. However by the time you reach just 10% I guarantee that you will be hooked. Like an oil painter Miller has only just sketched his outline and maybe added the first coat, a few chapters further in and he starts to build the piles of layers, thickening, expressing and blending the narrative with a professional ease that when you stand back from it you can see that the foundation for something special is being composed.

Kyrathaba Rising merges plotlines and amalgamates genres without riddles and confusing elements. Despite its dystopian setting the layers combine its science fiction with a crime thriller and a Tolkienesque fantasy too, all executed with a clear and equal passion. Miller is not afraid to make reference to these inspirations and carries it out very creatively. The narrative is penetrating, Miller knows how when it time for conversation and time for action, he also knows a twist as well as Chubby Checker.

As much as I favour the one-off novel this first part of a series will have you aching for more and I intend to follow it, I suggest you do the same. Frank Herbert may blush at this although it has some clichés within the design of the aliens and the layout of the settings but they are consistent and creative enough to look past this and see something really rather intense and entertaining beyond it; highly recommended.

There's No Such Thing As A Quick Trip To BuyMart: Go in for bananas, come out with a lawn mower (Savvy Stories)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Parental Pride., 25 Aug. 2014
The 8th of September 2007 is a day that I will never forget for it was a day that changed my life. Any modern man that tells how the birth of their first child didn’t have such a profound and emotional effect on them is a liar, plain and simple in my opinion. Dan Alatorre is no liar and the relationship with his young daughter is clearly one of shameless and touching pride. It is something quite unique, that father/daughter relationship and it has clearly been the backbone and inspiration for his humorous writings.

So, without the need to form complex situations, for comedy is often best in its simplicity, Dan offers us the humble muse of a trip to a large shopping mart with his daughter. The highly amusing story relishes in its simplicity and harks to that age old characteristic of any young daughter’s method of convincing their father to get her the things she wants. Also coupled with the confusion and alienated world that confronts man in a shop without the expert advice from his significant other. All in all then Dan thrives in the simplest and amuses us with everyday occurrences, making the pursuit and explorative nature of fatherhood funny and entertaining. A good read all round, inspiring and charming with that notion that such adventures will continue to grow for an entire lifetime as both his daughter and his relationship grows. So this book will make you wish for many years of happiness to Dan’s family in order that he continues this great never ending story.

For Now: After the Quake - A Father's Journey
For Now: After the Quake - A Father's Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and moving, Kevin Kato delivers fact and fear ..., 7 Aug. 2014
Poignant and moving, Kevin Kato delivers fact and fear of the emotional events at Fukushima in March 2011 and the legacy it left upon the city. He tells the tale first hand in journal form describing the hell that his family went through and how the population of Fukushima dealt with the issues. From what we heard on the news this book gives it a certain reality and that extra dimension; It is quite breath-taking and should be filed “a must read” in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4