Profile for Stephen M > Reviews

MacLaren Tartan Scarf - Scottish Wool Clan Scarves, Green
MacLaren Tartan Scarf - Scottish Wool Clan Scarves, Green
Offered by The Scotland Kilt Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and classy, 10 Dec. 2014
I received the scarf and was immediately pleased with the quality and how it comfortable it feels, as well as how the tartan looks.

I prefer my scarves to be a little longer, although this is just a small complaint for a good quality item.

Kitchen Craft Oyster Opening Set
Kitchen Craft Oyster Opening Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuss free, 10 Dec. 2014
The oyster opening set comes with a plastic knife and holder, with a grip on the bottom.

I was a little concerned about the quality of the knife at first, but after you get the technique down, opening oysters becomes easy. I still use a padded oven glove for some protection, but haven't needed it.

It's changed something I used to worry about doing into something that is pretty much fuss free.

Firefly 10th Anniversary Celebration Art Print Poster
Firefly 10th Anniversary Celebration Art Print Poster
Offered by Toy Zany

5.0 out of 5 stars It ain't all buttons and charts, 9 Nov. 2014
I am a big fan of Firefly and Serenity and this poster has a proud place on my wall.

I bought a 100cm by 70cm poster frame, and the poster was slightly (couple of cm) too big for it height wise, and I easily just folded part of the white border at the top to fit.

It's not clear from the picture, but the message at the bottom is from Captain Malcolm Reynolds at the end of serenity:

"But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flyin' is? Love. You can know all the math in the'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds"

Billabong Men's Surf Long Sleeve Jacket, Black, XX-Large
Billabong Men's Surf Long Sleeve Jacket, Black, XX-Large
Offered by BlackLeaf

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken Zip, 7 Oct. 2014
I take care of my clothes and do not put anything under unecessary stress.

Needless to say I was annoyed when the zip broke (the zip pulls up but the tracks don't catch) with this jacket in the first couple of weeks of use (and I only wore it a couple of times).

It's a shame, because otherwise it's a nice lightweight Summer jacket.

OXO Good Grips Microfibre Hand Duster
OXO Good Grips Microfibre Hand Duster

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning made easier, 15 Aug. 2014
It seemed a little pricey for just a duster, but it picks up dust effortlessly and stays on the duster. Easy to clean too. It is far superior than using just a regular damp cloth, and reaches into awkward places (like behind furniture) too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2014 3:04 PM GMT

Zalman ZM-NS2000 Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler with 200mm Fan
Zalman ZM-NS2000 Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler with 200mm Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great for 17" laptop, 6 July 2014
When my original Zalaman cooler when to silicon heaven a couple of weeks ago, I was so pleased with the previous purchase that I decided to replace it with another Zalaman. One thing that my previous purchase did not have was the ability to raise the platform for the laptop, so I thought I would try this.

I wish I hadn't bothered. The platform raising thing is fine if you keep your laptop stationary all of the time, but if like me you are moving around quite a lot then you are going to get annoyed in having to fix the stand constantly, and after having it for a week I have managed to jam my fingers twice because the stand hadn't nested.

In addition to this it doesn't fit my 17" laptop and there is about a 2 inch overhang at the side. It sounds minor, but it is actually quite annoying.

The fan is also less powerful than my previous laptop cooler (200 vs 220 mm).

If you have a 17" laptop, I would recommend this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-NC3000U-Ultra-Cooler-Laptops/dp/B003OXC2ZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404645583&sr=8-2&keywords=zalman+cooler+17%22 which is a bit more pricey, but for me it is a better build for that size of laptop.

niceEshop(TM) Mini Portable Super Mute Laptop/PC USB Cooler Cooling Desk Fan-Black
Offered by Cosy-Zone

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool, 6 July 2014
Bought two of these fans (one for me and a co-worker) and both of us are quite happy with them. They are so quiet I do not even realise it is on most of the time, certainly in my office anyway.

On/off switch at the back is great, but could maybe be doing with a dial with another 'higher' setting.

Delivery was fast (within a few days).

They are good value for money.

Puma Lifestyle, Men's Backpack, Steel Grey, One Size
Puma Lifestyle, Men's Backpack, Steel Grey, One Size
Offered by Ted The Ink Man

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay...think there is better out there, 24 Dec. 2013
I got this bag as a swap for another bag that I have as quite often it is more convenient for me to leave my rucksack at work, and this acts as a spare at home.

The bag itself is larger than I expected and I quite like the 'look' as it is quite unique for rucksacks. It has two layers, one outer layer (the grey) and another black layer inside, which I like as it may a little better protection against the weather.

The laptop section fits my 17" laptop, although I have to admit I am a little concerned about the lack of padding at the back, bottom and front to protect it. The build of the bag gives me the feeling that it is not going to last under a lot of weight, and the padding on the arms is quite minimal.

Overall I think that it is a little over-priced at £45 (I was lucky enough to get it for less on a Black Friday deal), and if you are looking for something that will last you longer and is built better for that price I would recommend that you go for something that is made by Swiss Gear instead.

If I had paid the full price I would be sending it back, but it's 'okay' for what I paid for it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't regret it, 19 Dec. 2013
I started looking at an alternative way of shaving other than using Mach 3 / Fusion and after a little bit of research on the web it seemed that this was one of the 'classic' razors that had the most consistent reviews. It feels like a bit of a gamble because you wonder prior to buying this and the other accessories whether it is going to be something that doesn't make a difference or worse you end up cutting yourself.

The truth is that you will likely get a couple of nicks in the beginning, but you can probably minimise this by watching a couple of videos on YouTube. I would go with all of the other reviewers on here and say that this is a very well built and engineered razor. Although it looks small at first, you soon realise that it's perfectly weighted and just the right size to give you a good shave.

I get mid to heavy growth and have to shave every morning (other than weekends!), and like many of the other reviewers here I can genuinely say that it becomes a pleasure to shave using this razor, and I have had it now for about 4 months. I have used 3 razors in that time and still have plenty of shaving cream left.

It is a good idea to get the other accessories: a decent brush (vulvix 660 badger), shaving cream (Taylors of old Bond Sandalwood) and additional razors (feathers for me) as this really does add to the experience.

Since getting this razor I have had no regrets in buying it whatsoever. In fact I have been actively telling people I know how good it is, and how good DE shaving is in general.

Working at the Ubuntu Command-Line Prompt (Linux Nitty Gritty)
Working at the Ubuntu Command-Line Prompt (Linux Nitty Gritty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for building a foundation knowledge and finding out easy to learn tips and tricks, 16 Dec. 2013
I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to Linux. Prior to reading this book as I was always able to setup my Ubuntu Server with a Wiki, Web Server, Subsonic music server, Samba file sharing and SSH. I managed all of this by following the incredibly helpful community and by using the information gleaned from other people's questions.

Somehow it felt like cheating though and that I wasn't really learning Linux to the extent that I wanted. I could understand roughly what was going on in the command line, but I was struggling with some of the short notation and also some of the terminology (which can seem daunting at first). This book is the perfect crutch for helping you with understanding the origin of the Linux operating system and also how it works, and explains it in an easy to understand non-jargon way.

If you have an old computer lying around that you don't use, have some spare time and you fancy a bit of tinkering, then as a rewarding home project then you could do a lot worse by getting yourself a copy of Ubuntu server and get this wee gem of a book to give you more confidence and understanding at the command line. It's not all roses, but this book definitely takes away some of the thorns.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3