Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Extreme Close-Up Photography and Focus Stacking
Extreme Close-Up Photography and Focus Stacking
by Julian Cremona

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific close-up photography book, 12 May 2015
Extreme close-up photography is a real challenge for anyone starting out. I started with a macro lens but I soon realised that natural light was quite limiting with regard to speed and depth of field. Talking to others who take images of insects etc. you realise that this is a whole new field of photography that needs some consideration. I have purchased a few books on the subject but I think this is by far the most comprehensive. It is clearly set out and covers every type of situation that you can imaging. In short this is a terrific book and I doubt that you would need another one.

Automata [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2015]
Automata [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2015]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas

4.0 out of 5 stars Automata, 7 May 2015
This film will probably not get any Oscars but it is a very watchable film. The acting is good and the storyline interesting. Overall it is very entertaining, thought provoking and worth watching. Don't expect a load of action in it but it is a good film to put your feet up to and chill out.

Predestination [Blu-ray]
Predestination [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ehthan Hawke

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Travel with a Twist or Two, 7 May 2015
This review is from: Predestination [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Normally we look to sci-fi films for action and great CGI. This is not a film for those who like a lot of flashy bang stuff. It is, however, a very thought provoking, well acted film with a great storyline. There are twists in the story at several points and I found it fascinating. As time travel films go this is first class and well worth watching. Don't expect lots of action but wait for the storyline to unfold. A very unusual and watchable film.

The Truth: (Discworld Novel 25) (Discworld series)
The Truth: (Discworld Novel 25) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth., 6 May 2015
The Truth is worked at a slightly slower pace than the previous three novels but is still very readable and entertaining. I can find nothing to dislike about any of the series and that includes this one.

Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography
Photography Essentials Full Frame Photography
by David Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Frame, 26 April 2015
Full Frame is a photography travel book. I was interested in reading it because it covered places that I knew and also those I had not been to. David Norton is an enthusiastic writer and his work is very easy reading. The writing flows through the pages and the enthusiasm he has for his work shines through. The book worked for me because it provided me with interesting technical details that I wanted and also confirmed that I did not want to go to some of the places he visited. That might sound odd but I am very much a cold climate person. His writing and images emphasised why I did not want to go to some places on Earth. Having said that his images of the places I was interested in going to filled me with enthusiasm to either go there, or go there again, such is the impact of his work. I would say that this book will work for photographers of any ability and gives useful insights into trying something different for the first time and an idea as to what works and use of equipment. It is well worth reading and proved to me that you do not have to go to very exotic locations to achieve superb images.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic film based roughly on an epic book, 21 April 2015
The final part of the Hobbit trilogy is truly epic in proportion, graphics and impact. A thoroughly enjoyable movie. If you are a purist you might not like it because this is a film based on the Hobbit and not a true chronology of what happens in the book. Bits have been added and bits missed out. Having said that it holds your attention throughout, the acting is great and the storyline solid. When the battle is over you feel truly exhausted. The CGI is quite remarkable. I gave up all hope of fantasy films being anything like the books they were based on, so don't watch it believing that you don't need to read the book. Think of it as a damned good film and a damned great book (two for the price of two). I thought the book was first class and I would recommend that anyone read it. The film is an entertainment package and nothing more but it presses all the right buttons for me. Enjoy.

HSINI Horizontal Real Cow Genuine Belt Clip Leather Pouch Case for iPhone 5/5S/4S/4/3GS
Offered by Europe Deal (Ship From Hong Kong)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class belt phone holder., 21 April 2015
I bought this belt phone holder to carry my iPhone 4S when my previous holder wore out. This one is much better made and is a snugger fit. There is a clip and also a pull through loop for a belt to fit through. The fold over cover has quite a strong magnetic fastener and just reflects the overall quality of the product. I would highly recommend it if you were thinking of buying one.

The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld series)
The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Elephant., 18 April 2015
I have been reading my way through the Discworld novels and for some reason I have noticed an significant upgrade in the quality of the writing and story telling in the last three novels. This one has continued in the same vein and is a cracking story. I think having read the previous stories you may get a lot more out of it than just reading it on its own but it really is a great novel.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class versatile lens., 18 April 2015
Having purchased the Nikon D810 camera body I decided that I needed to upgrade my lenses. The first on the list was this 24-70mm lens to fill in a gap. I prefer to purchase prime lenses for the image quality but I was persuaded by a friend that this lens was almost as good as the Nikon 24mm prime. I read the lab reviews and decided to go with it.

The lens comes well packaged with a quality case. The build quality looks really robust and I have not noticed any of the problems that a few others have commented upon. The lens moves through the zoom like silk and the focus is very rapid and almost silent. The interior looks as clean as a whistle and I cannot find any faults at all with the build. It also has a weatherproof seal, which will be handy for coastal shots.

I took the lens out on a photo shoot to see what it could do at all main zoom settings. I found that there was a slight bulge of the image at 24mm but it was not really noticeable until I asked Lightroom to correct distortion. Once click and it was gone. The other settings had hardly any distortion at all. I then checked the focus of the images in the corners and right across the frame. I am delighted to say that it is absolutely sharp. So sharp in fact that people who were not apparent at first glance on the image due to distance were found to show details of clothing and hair style when I zoomed into the image and found them. I tend to compare focus with the Sigma 105mm macro lens that it frighteningly sharp. To be honest there isn't much difference between the two. Okay the Sigma macro lens has the slight edge but I doubt that I will be buying the Nikon 24mm landscape prime lens having purchased this zoom. The 24mm prime lens is said to be the sharpest lens Nikon have ever made.

Overall I am delighted with it. The only downside is the weight and the price. If you are not too concerned about either then this is a superb lens that you will not regret buying. The range of the zoom is very versatile and I can see it being used more than any of my other lenses.

Perfect Prints Every Time: How to achieve excellent photographic prints (The Lightweight Photographer Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Prints, 14 April 2015
Perfect Prints is an eBook that anyone can afford. There is an art to photography and an art to getting the processed picture right for printing. You would not believe how much is involved in the process. I decided to follow the advise and low and behold my first print from my photo-printer came out perfect and just as I saw it on the screen. I would not have achieved this without reading this book and I can highly recommend it to anyone who wants first class prints.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20