Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld series)
The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Elephant., 18 April 2015
I have been reading my way through the Discworld novels and for some reason I have noticed an significant upgrade in the quality of the writing and story telling in the last three novels. This one has continued in the same vein and is a cracking story. I think having read the previous stories you may get a lot more out of it than just reading it on its own but it really is a great novel.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class versatile lens., 18 April 2015
Having purchased the Nikon D810 camera body I decided that I needed to upgrade my lenses. The first on the list was this 24-70mm lens to fill in a gap. I prefer to purchase prime lenses for the image quality but I was persuaded by a friend that this lens was almost as good as the Nikon 24mm prime. I read the lab reviews and decided to go with it.

The lens comes well packaged with a quality case. The build quality looks really robust and I have not noticed any of the problems that a few others have commented upon. The lens moves through the zoom like silk and the focus is very rapid and almost silent. The interior looks as clean as a whistle and I cannot find any faults at all with the build. It also has a weatherproof seal, which will be handy for coastal shots.

I took the lens out on a photo shoot to see what it could do at all main zoom settings. I found that there was a slight bulge of the image at 24mm but it was not really noticeable until I asked Lightroom to correct distortion. Once click and it was gone. The other settings had hardly any distortion at all. I then checked the focus of the images in the corners and right across the frame. I am delighted to say that it is absolutely sharp. So sharp in fact that people who were not apparent at first glance on the image due to distance were found to show details of clothing and hair style when I zoomed into the image and found them. I tend to compare focus with the Sigma 105mm macro lens that it frighteningly sharp. To be honest there isn't much difference between the two. Okay the Sigma macro lens has the slight edge but I doubt that I will be buying the Nikon 24mm landscape prime lens having purchased this zoom. The 24mm prime lens is said to be the sharpest lens Nikon have ever made.

Overall I am delighted with it. The only downside is the weight and the price. If you are not too concerned about either then this is a superb lens that you will not regret buying. The range of the zoom is very versatile and I can see it being used more than any of my other lenses.

Perfect Prints Every Time: How to achieve excellent photographic prints (The Lightweight Photographer Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Prints, 14 April 2015
Perfect Prints is an eBook that anyone can afford. There is an art to photography and an art to getting the processed picture right for printing. You would not believe how much is involved in the process. I decided to follow the advise and low and behold my first print from my photo-printer came out perfect and just as I saw it on the screen. I would not have achieved this without reading this book and I can highly recommend it to anyone who wants first class prints.

Mankind's Last Stand
Mankind's Last Stand
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Last Stand, 5 April 2015
This film will never win an Oscar but it wasn't that bad at all. It runs along the lines of a documentary and the storyline is okay (soldiers at an outpost discover that aliens are getting ready for a second invasion of Earth). They decide to do something about it and that is about it. Short and to the point but quite watchable. I have watched some dire films in the past but this is not one of them. It's probably not worth buying but if you can stream it then it is worth watching.

Mr Turner [Blu-ray] [2014]
Mr Turner [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall

3.0 out of 5 stars Turner, 5 April 2015
Far too long and not enough happens in it for my taste.

Carpe Jugulum: (Discworld Novel 23) (Discworld series)
Carpe Jugulum: (Discworld Novel 23) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carpe Jugulum, 2 April 2015
I am reading this series of books in order and I think this is one of the best in the series. They have all been really great books but this I think has the edge (so far).

The Imitation Game [Blu-ray]
The Imitation Game [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation Game, 28 Mar. 2015
I was tempted to watch this version of cracking the Enigma code because the pervious version was quite good. This new film is a strop up from the previous version and I can thoroughly recommend it. It is one of the best films I have seen this year. Absolutely first class and it works on numerous levels.

Jingo: (Discworld Novel 21) (Discworld series)
Jingo: (Discworld Novel 21) (Discworld series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jingo, 24 Mar. 2015
I find it impossible not to like these Discworld novels. They are light hearted, funny and great to read before going to sleep. They always put me in a rested state of mind no matter what the day has thrown at me. Great books.

Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor Speakers
Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Behringer MS40 speakers, 24 Mar. 2015
I use these speakers for the audio side of planetarium shows at schools. The dome holds 30 people and the sound quality and volume is brilliant for the confined space. The speakers produce a lot of base for their size (ideal for rocket engine sounds) and they also have a good high end sound that makes voice overs clear and distinct. They are perfect for what I want and they are relatively small in size. They also appear to be very well made and stand a few knocks. Overall good value for money. Don't expect to get the sound quality that you would get from such as B&W speakers but they do a good job overall.

Dying of The Light [Blu-ray]
Dying of The Light [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage

4.0 out of 5 stars Dying of the Light., 9 Mar. 2015
I got the impression that this was just 'another buck' film for Nicholas Cage. I like his films but the roles he is accepting of late are somewhat below his grade. I am still trying to work out why it was an 18 certificate because I have seen worse 12 and 15 certificate films. It is a film about an unfinished assignment that has to be done (really for revenge more than anything else). Overall it is well done and well acted but I would not want to watch it again. The storyline is a bit on the simple side for my taste.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20