Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Suziekettles > Reviews

Content by Suziekettles

Suziekettles (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (1)
Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (1)
by Nicci French

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull & dreary., 21 May 2016
I think I have read everything written by Nicci French and thoroughly enjoyed all of them, some more than others. I have loathed this first one in the Freida Klein series.
The professional reviews on the front & inside cover are so full of praise, it feels as if I have read different novel: "one of their hardest to put down", "a nerve jangling addictive read", "will have you on the edge of your seat". I have rarely been so bored after only the prologue, I have kept reading only because I have so enjoyed their previous work. The story has just never got going and there is too much descriptive filler/padding, each time I think we might be going somewhere, they introduce another character (who may have featured earlier, I just can't remember) or the focus shifts to something else.
I can't believe how unprofessionally FK behaves, she has discussed her patient with so many other people, where is patient confidentiality?
I don't mind having to suspend belief occasionally but in this novel it is just silly and insulting.
I have reached p329 (Chapter 39) and will skim through till the end to find out what became of the missing children, but I just don't care about any of the self indulgent characters (except perhaps Josef the builder) and I don't know how FK achieves anything by rubbing people the wrong way with her approach.
My book goes everywhere with me and I'm always looking for a moment when I can read a few more pages, this novel has just not given me that regular pleasurable fix. I wont be bothering with the rest of the series, glad I borrowed this from the library.

Amelita
Amelita

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, 14 May 2016
This review is from: Amelita (Audio CD)
I adore this album, found it doing a wee bit of DC research after seeing them live in Birmingham recently. I love the DCs but did not know Emily & Martie performed together without Natalie. I have played this constantly since receiving it and it had kept me company on a couple of long car journeys. The lyrics aren't as strong as the DCs and I don't get Sunshine at all (he drags her mood down,so she calls him Sunshine??) but their melodies are clever & terrific and very memorable.
Waiting for their other album to arrive from the US.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

2.0 out of 5 stars What a silly contrived tale, 16 April 2016
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Paperback)
I dithered between 1 or 2 stars, because I did read to the end I've given in 2 stars.
Lots of others reviewers have made the same point, did this stupid couple ever talk to each other about anything meaningful? They make huge, major decisions about their future without an iota of common sense, I spluttered "oh for goodness sake" so often, I'm so puzzled by all the good reviews and how easily satisfied some people are.
The idea that you sell up to move to a rat infested hovel on a Scottish island that you have never laid eyes on and your husband last saw 15 years ago just beggars belief. There is no fresh water, the landline is unreliable, no mobile signal, no internet, no tv and best of all, the island is cut off by the sea at high tide AND BUYING A BOAT HASNT OCCURED TO THEM!! They take their traumatised child to this isolated nightmarish place and then wring their hands and hit the bottle when he has trouble finding any work, the couple seem to lack any sort of resourcefulness and seem completely unsuited for this existence. In the final couple of chapters, we are spoon fed what really happened around the time of the accident, including a conveniently retained handwritten letter from an obliging GP. It was less than credible that this dysfunctional couple whose relationship was full of chaos and lack of trust would ever have reached this point.
Kirstie/Lydia was at times very young, but then able to handle quite tricky concepts, like remembering a conversation 6 months ago with her Daddy.
I think the writer threw everything he could think of at this story, the possible child abuse and details about the couples sex life felt unnecessary and gratuitous.
Why would anyone name the family pet after a Scotland's famous cannibal?

Dark Corners
Dark Corners
by Ruth Rendell

2.0 out of 5 stars Radio 4 Book at bedtime, 15 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Dark Corners (Hardcover)
I didn't read this novel, listened to it on Radio 4 as their Book at Bedtime, it was read in 10 x 15 minute episodes, narrated by Patricia Hodge.
I loved Ruth Rendell until about 10 years ago when I think I just started reading more widely. Recently read the Girl Next Door, only because a friend had enjoyed it and passed her copy on to me, found it very disappointing, something kept me going to the end, but decided it hadn't been worth the effort.
Having read other reviews, some bits of the novel have been completely left out of the radio adaption, there is no kidnap or bomb, Lizzie is only introduced in the penultimate episode, boyfriend Adam is brought in at the last moment, her Father only has a few lines in the final episode. Wonder if they were left out because they brought nothing to the story??
I found most of the characters incredibly dated & caricature like, their dialogue was not realistic, more like something from the 60s.
Knowing the way my youngsters throw money around, £50 for some "diet pills" (is that what they are called?) seemed hardly worth the trouble and the explanation for them being in the house felt flimsy. Having spent a lot of time at the vets recently with a poorly dog, my vets bares no resemblance to the practice that employed Dermot, all the admin is done by the almost exclusively young veterinary nurses.
I know these are picky little examples, but they are part of what made it unconvincing and lacking in plausibility.
Ms Vine includes lots of London street name detail, I'm sure it's accurate, but I found it a bit unnecessary, the characters recall & precision added to a feeling of not being real. Perhaps if you live in London and know theses locations it is more satisfying.
I think this novel needed a bit of polishing up and wasn't ready for publication, newspaper reviews were very generous and I feel churlish knowing this was RR's final piece of work, but I do not think it is of the same standard as her writing a few years ago.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2016 10:32 AM GMT

HealthAndYoga(TM) Enema Supplies - PVC Colon Tips - Saver Pack - Set of 10 (Sizes 20FR)
Offered by HealthAndYoga UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful packaging, 7 Nov. 2015
These are ok, the ends are not rounded or tapered and they are generally stiffer than the original tube that came with the "kit",but I think they will do the job with care. The packing was really thoughtless, the bundle of 10 had been folded over twice in order to put them in a box with a couple of CDs, so there are real bends/kinks in them, I expect they will ease out in some hot water.

The Taming of the Queen
The Taming of the Queen
by Philippa Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had enjoyed this more., 25 Oct. 2015
Having recently visited Studley Castle and then picking this up in Waterstones,I was eager to read of Kateryn Parr's life with Henry Viii.
I found the book terribly dull, enjoyed the domestic details, but got bogged down with relgion, faith and the church and what they were supposed to follow and believe in. Henry was mercurial and capricous and had utter conviction that whatever he wanted and believed was right and the ONLY way (what a monster) I was very aware of how dangerous it was to be around him, what AWFUL times to live in. Unfortunately, because I started skim reading sections, I found relationships & loyalties became muddled. Life must have been sooo dull, endless talk of faith, God, the bible, religious discussion, latin etc. What did they do for light relief? Kateryn was so obviously an intelligent, good, devout woman, maybe a bit boring, but what a dreadful situation, she found herself in. At the end when she realises she has survived & is free but only by betraying her love, faith, friend, will & pride and seen the destruction of most of what she loved and valued, I wanted to weep for her.
I wish the author had gone a bit further with what followed, she touches on it in her author's note, I expect that will be in the next novel which I look forward to and hope I enjoy more!
Now, another visit to Studley Castle.

Girl on a Plane
Girl on a Plane
by Miriam Moss

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but I'm not 15!, 15 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Girl on a Plane (Paperback)
I heard the author being interviewed on radio 4s Womans Hour, being the same sort of age and travelling to & from Cyprus as I too was at boarding school, this novel really appealed to me.
However it did not grip me at all and I felt no urgency to pick the book up to see what happened next. Ok, I know this has been written for children, but it just felt too tame, lacking excitement or peril. There was something a bit too squeeky clean about the whole family which just doesn't ring true with me.

The Heat of Betrayal
The Heat of Betrayal
by Douglas Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Douglas, what has happened?, 4 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Heat of Betrayal (Paperback)
I'm not sure what has happened to Douglas Kennedy, I can't believe Heat of Betrayal is written by the same author who gave us State of the Union & Pursuit of Happiness, two of my favourite novels. The last novel I really enjoyed was Woman in the Fifth, since then his novels have been full of flaky characters who I just don't care about, getting into avoidable situations. I have given Heat 2 stars because I did manage to finish it, but only by skim reading several sections that just went on and on; I was curious how it would come together at the end. I thought Robin & Paul were an insufferable pair, she was rude and entitled, had the hotel staff running around her pulling out all the stops, booking flights for her that she never caught. Paul was a pathetic waste who could draw a bit and spend money, I just couldn't see his appeal & the lengths Robin goes to in looking for him even when she discovers how badly he has deceived her. They had pretentious deep staged conversations and hot deep sex which I found really distasteful, less is more sometimes & it could have been left to our imagination. Kennedy writes incredibly well as a woman, but I found his description of Robin's intimate injury rather prurient and a bit creepy. A lot of dialogue did not ring true, it was oddly constructed as if translated poorly from another language. I know it's fiction, but the story was quite preposterous and just didn't feel believable, would anyone really take all the risks she did and behave so recklessly. It was convenient that so many staff spoke good idiomatic English and when they didn't, her boring French lessons paid off, honestly do people still learn languages that way?!
I expect I will borrow the Blue Hour from the library if I can get hold of a copy, but his new novels no longer fill me with joy & happy anticipation the way they used to.
Ps I think DK started off as a travel writer and it's very evident here but sometimes it became a bit too overpowering.

Kyjen Interactive Slow Bowl Bloat Preventing Feeder Flower Design, Large, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Has stopped our dog bolting food down, 28 Aug. 2015
This bowl has certainly slowed our greedy retriever down. The down side is washing it, his bowls are always horribly slippery (what is in doggie saliva???) and as the dishwasher is only run on alternate evenings, we have to wash it by hand every other evening. It is a devil to get clean, I have used various brushes, sponges, a cloth with a biro casing to get into the channels. Have found pouring a kettle of water and washing up liquid over it & allowing it to sit for 5 mins before going in with a J cloth and my little finger is the best method to de-slime!

I Let You Go
I Let You Go
by Clare Mackintosh

1.0 out of 5 stars What a turkey, 28 Aug. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Paperback)
Not sure how I made it to the end of this boring dreary novel. I am staggered at the number of 5* reviews & glowing praise from fellow writers. I did not care for Jenna and wanted to give her a bloody good shake for being such a victim, her abuse almost followed a check list. The moment the vet was introduced it was obvious what would follow. The relationship between the dull police inspector with the charisma of an old cardigan & his fiesty young DC just wasn't believable, but that and the troubles at home were so predictable. The twist was just silly and too farfetched & left me very underwhelmed, the chapters preceeding it seem rather pointless. I wonder how this Richard & Judy collection was selected, Harry Quebert was dreadful as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2016 10:14 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7