Profile for glenn > Reviews

Heimat Fragments: The Women [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edgar Reitz
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Characters revisited, 19 Sept. 2017
I enjoyed seeing all the characters again in scenes that had been deleted. For me it did not work that well seeing the characters through the eyes of Lulu. I wanted to see more of the women even if scenes that had made it to the main series were also included. I have watched every part of The Chronicles including the prequel and I know that I will watch it again with the sub titles turned off. I felt as if I was on a journey with the characters and feel sad that the journey has ended. For a viewer to understand Heimat Fragments, the viewer needs to have watched at least some of Heimat 1 , 2 and 3 and in my view these chronicles are worthy of 5 stars because of the impact they made on me. Even though I have only reviewed this film as ok I will watch it again I am sure.

The Second Mother - Subtitled
The Second Mother - Subtitled

4.0 out of 5 stars Mother and daughter reunited, 10 Aug. 2017
There is situational humour in the film but it is not a comedy. It is an observation of the delicate balance between a live in maid and the family she works for.The maid seems to do everything and is especially close to the son who she raised whilst his parents worked or socialised. She lives in a small room and her daughter who she has supported but not seen for ten years comes to stay. The daughter is shocked that she is expected to sleep on a mattress on the floor even though there is an empty guest room next door. Her mother seems to think that it was kind of her employer to buy the mattress. The daughter is clever and confident and the balance in the house is disturbed especially as the son and father find her attractive and interesting. The daughter does not think that she is better than everyone but she does not think that she is unequal and so does not recognise or acknowledge the unspoken barriers between the employers and her mother and resents her mother being so subservient.

Sister
Sister

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine young actor, 9 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Sister (DVD)
Whilst some viewers may find this film slow I thought that it had plenty of tension in it and I was on edge waiting for something calamitous to happen. I thought that the acting was believable and I felt for the boy and his 'sister' who lived in relative poverty. The adult was very selfish and in and out of work and she frequently left her young charge to fend for himself whilst she was out with boyfriends. The boy did his best to care for her when she was around and gave her money from his ill gotten gains. The setting could have been in a French or Swiss ski resort as it was not specified where the action took place. In my opinion there was a little bit of hope shown at the end of the film in the eyes of the fine young actor,

The Girl on The Train
The Girl on The Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Happenings along The Hudson Line, 1 Aug. 2017
When I first started watching the film it did not immediately hook me in and I stopped after twenty minutes. I think that it irritated me that the setting was so very different from the book . The scenic Hudson Line taking well dressed commuters into New York and passing modern houses with gardens overlooking the river is very different from the railway lines leading into central London. I did decide to give it another go and I quite enjoyed it as Emily Blunt is definitely believable as are the other actors. Probably for people who have not read the book the setting will not spoil the overall effect and the enjoyment may be greater.

Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Generation [DVD]
Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Generation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edgar Reitz
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Herman and his relationships, 30 Jun. 2017
This second series follows the life of Hermann. He is the youngest son in the Simon family.The series covers ten years after his departure from home to persue his music studies.There are many funny scenes. There are numerous characters that impact on his life and we also glimpse into their lives. Although set primarily in Munich it branches out to other places that Hermann visits. I specifically liked scenes set close to The Rhine. The dialect so evident in the first series appears from time to time when Hermann converses with a friend from his village and even more when he marries an old school friend. She is a practical type and seeks him out when she moves to the city to work as a tour guide. She is a contrast to the other women he is involved with who are more highly strung and she makes him laugh and helps him to relax. I really enjoyed being able to understand the dialect as hearing it over so many hours you can tune in. I seek to improve my German language skills and watching Heimat is a rewarding way to be able to do this. It is fascinating to watch how the characters develop and age. Significant historical events take place and some of the characters are caught up in them . Also the past impacts on the lives of the characters and some of this generation have to deal with knowing that their parents were Nazi's. Tensions develop in different relationships and Hermann has many relationships with women. Not surprising really as in the first Heimat he was basically seduced by an older women and he was heart broken when it ended. I have already bought Heimat 3 but will have a break before I start watching it . I have in a month binge watched Heimat and Heimat 2

Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] [1984]
Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Marita Breuer
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Believable characters, 30 Jun. 2017
I feel like I have been on a journey with the characters. I specifically watched it to help me improve my German language skills and loved it so much that in the space of four weeks I watched Heimat and Heimat 2 almost to the exclusion of anything else. It is fascinating to see how much or how little historical events impact on the lives of the characters. Hems go up, communication across distances improve and modern times arrive. Of course to each generation what is modern changes. What set me off becoming hooked was watching the prequel that was first available in 2013 and quite recently shown on BBC 4.The prequel was set mid 19th century in the village of the first Heimat that was filmed in the 1980's. The prequel depicted simple village life. In the first Heimat series a son returns home to his village after the end of World War 1 . The series covers the next 50 plus years. Whilst there is reference to the horrors of World War 2 these horrors are not examined in any depth as we are seeing life from the perspective of a small village and families living in it. There are horrors that touch the village and scenes fleetingly show characters in bad situations 'out in the wider world.'

Toni Erdmann [DVD] [2017]
Toni Erdmann [DVD] [2017]
Dvd ~ Peter Simonischek

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad and satirical with very funny scenes, 19 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Toni Erdmann [DVD] [2017] (DVD)
Although marketed as a comedy I think that those expecting a comedy will be disappointed. It is a long, serious film about a father trying to reingage with his estranged daughter. Judging by the pranks he likes to pull maybe his annoying humour caused the end of his relationship with the mother of his daughter. The death of his beloved dog, after a brief encounter with his stressed daughter Ines who made a brief passing through visit to see her parents is the trigger for what happens next. This takes Winfried to Rumania where his daughter is currently based. There is much to smile about and laugh at within the film but the sadness of the father and the lengths that he is going to to re-establish an understanding with his daughter is poignant. The stress that the daughter is experiencing whilst persuing her career in the corporate world is very palapable but also funny and satirical. If nudity offends you then maybe avoid the film but there is a hilarious situational scene that comes at the height of her stress that seems to have been made worse by the presence of her fathers aler ago (Toni Erdmann ) in her life. It is a film I could rewatch without the subtitles as I study German.

Money Belt Waist Pack and Passport Holder Travel Accessory for Men and Women with RFID protection
Offered by Genixx LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable to wear, 29 May 2017
I wore this on my touring trip to Mexico and it was just right for my passport and money and mobile phone. It is small,lightweight and fitted comfortably under my clothes
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2017 9:05 AM BST

Kipling - CLAS SEOUL - Large Backpack - Soft Dot - (Print)
Kipling - CLAS SEOUL - Large Backpack - Soft Dot - (Print)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable to carry, 29 May 2017
I was lucky as I bought on a day when it was less than half the full price. It suits my needs perfectly for a carry on bag whem flying if I also have hold luggage and it was great for a day bag when out and about on my last holiday. It has many sections and is lightweight.

Anthropoid
Anthropoid

3.0 out of 5 stars An assasination, 29 April 2017
This review is from: Anthropoid (DVD)
I would like to give 3 1/2 stars. The film informed me about events I did not know about and also led me to read up about what happened.I watch foreign films and do not mind sub titles and I understand German quite well. What distracted me was the English speaking actors speaking in Czech accents.At times I even thought that I heard an Irish lilt.I think I may have appreciated it if the film was made using the appropriate language and with sub titles. Of course then the film would not have had the same actors and in the main the acting was good. I could not really watch too closely once the Nazi's started to retaliate. I did become teary and so clearly I had engaged with the characters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7